What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
In the early 1980’s, British filmmaker Alex Cox caught Hollywood off guard with the success of Repo Man (1984), which soon became a cult favorite. Following on the heels of that was punk rock biopic Sid and Nancy (1986), which brought Cox more acclaim and attention. For his next project, the director took on an even more ambitious subject, the life of the American filibuster William Walker and his time in Nicaragua. Walker was previously released on DVD by the Criterion Collection through their deal with Universal, but now has revisited the film for a Blu-ray upgrade.

Walker (1987)

Released: 04 Dec 1987
Rated: R
Runtime: 94 min

Director: Alex Cox
Genre: Biography, Drama, History

Cast: Ed Harris, Richard Masur, Rene Auberjonois...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It interesting to watch and compare "Burn" with Brando and "Walker" with Harris. 2 versions of the William Walker story.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Perhaps not new, but.....
  • Restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Alex Cox, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Yes, this is indeed the same basis that what was used for the Criterion DVD * check notes * in 2008. Sadly not brand new, but also sadly visibly dated in several aspects.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, this is indeed the same basis that what was used for the Criterion DVD * check notes * in 2008. Sadly not brand new, but also sadly visibly dated in several aspects.
Well I guess various reviewers don’t agree with your assessment of this BD video presentation because it’s receiving good reviews.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
I suppose Criterion also deemed re-using this basis good enough rather than commissionning a new restoration (or waiting for one to be so). And I'm not saying it's "bad" overall, as something I would score poorly, just that this obviously doesn't look like something done newly, but instead bears multiple markers of being and older catalogue masters that could be noticeably improved upon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks