"Wake of Death" - Anamorphic?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Joyner, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if this is anamorphic? It's a Sony Columbia TriStar release, but the back cover says it is letterbox. This is a new Van Damme movie that I heard was pretty good, I just don't want to watch it if it is not. Thanks.

2. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

I'm afraid the back of the cover is indeed correct.The film isn't anamorphic.I was very dissapointed when i noticed this,i couldn't believe that they would still release a new film on dvd without it being anamorphic.That said,i didn't find the quality suffered too much when i zoomed it up to fill the screen and i certainly thought the movie was much better that some of the recent Van Damme efforts like In Hell and Derailed.

3. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Are you sure stephen? It played just fine on my widescreen set.Looked anamorphic to me. [​IMG]

Luis S

4. stephen^wilson

I'm 100% positive that it's not anamoprphic.I just double checked it incase i was mistaken but definately not anamorphic ,even say on the back of the box 1.78:1 4x3 letterbox.

5. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

Looked like 2.35:1 Anamorphic to me (can't positively remember). Will have to double check. Anyone else?

Not sure if I trust C/T packaging lately. [​IMG]

Christian

6. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Thats what Im saying. When I watched it ,the image was fine. It was proportioned and clear as it should be. Sounds like mislabling to me as well. Decent flick btw. [​IMG]

Later,

Luis S

7. stephen^wilson

2.35:1 anamorphic? mine certainly isn't. 1.78:1 non amamorphic and i'd bet my life on it.

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Stephen, are you watching the region 1 or region 2 release? Perhaps they're different.

Stander, which Sony released a few weeks ago, did not say anamorphic on the case but it actually was. One of the screeners I have for next week's releases (I think it's Silver City) also doesn't say anamorphic on the back, but I haven't checked it yet. They may just be getting sloppy with the packaging.

9. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

Checked the DVD, and it's indeed non-anamorphic. However the aspect ratio looks more like 1.85:1

Anyone else?

Christian

10. stephen^wilson

Thanks christian.It's the region 1 disc i have.Non-anamorphic as i said before