What's new

VXD devices at start-up (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I was cleaning out my HD and I removed the rocketboard folder. Now, when I reboot the PC, it says device not found...rbrd.vxd whatever. I have disposed of the software all together. I know there is a way to get rid of these "non-existent" devices pertaining to the vxd files but I can't remember how to anymore. Anyone can help out?
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Have you stripped it from the registry? Few packages actually remove themselves totally from the system. There's often some residue left in the registry.

Chris T. Kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't want to search the registry to remove the software, there are programs that you can download to help out. Microsoft has their own program called regclean that helps clean it out. There is another third party program called "recleaner" that is available at tweakfiles.com.
Good luck,
Chris

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
There are two registry editors - regedit.exe and regedt32.exe
The '32' variety is the real deal. There you will get access to everything. Regedit.exe doesn't give you so much access, but includes a search facility to help you track down problems. If you run it, click on Edit, then Find, and put in the name of the application you're trying to track down (make sure you tick all the boxes), it'll go off and find every instance of that name. You don't have to do anything once you've found them, but it can be useful in seeing what debris is left.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
OK, I d/l regcleaner from tweakfiles. Got it running and started removing anything and everything related to that Rocketboard crap. When I restart I still get that windows message saying a device is missing or something..rbrd.vxd...have to install it again yada yada yada....
I've run the OLE and everything else to no avail.
I really appreciate u guys helping out.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Right. Click on the Start button, then select Run, then enter msconfig
When the window pops up, click on the Start (or Startup) tag at the end. Here you can see all the apps that are loaded at boot. Have a look and see if there's anything in there that relates to the app you're having problems with. If you find it, just delete or disable it.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Good, 'cause I've just run out of ideas
laugh.gif

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
VXDs are usually referenced in the registry, or occasionally in system.ini.
Run SYSEDIT from the run box. Particualarly check the system.ini file and [BOOT] or [RUN] sections of WIN.INI. If there isn't anything there, it is in the registry. Try one of the utilities already mentioned or search the registry with the file name of the missing VXD.
[EDIT]: DOH! Missed the post that said you fixed it
blush.gif

------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here
:
[Edited last by SteveMc on September 16, 2001 at 03:46 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks