What's new

UHD Vote for the release of "Ryan's Daughter" on UHD/4K (3 Viewers)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
On September 17th, 2015, Warner Archive Collection replied on their Facebook page with the following quote, concerning the release of "Ryan's Daughter":

"Nothing concrete to announce on this at the present time, but we are keenly aware of fan interest, and activity is ongoing to try and make a BD release possible."

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dr Griffin said:
Super Panavision 70 and one of the few larger format films, relatively speaking. I've seen it in 70mm and it is BIG and should be seen that way. I'd like to see them preserve the film for future theatrical presentations of the format. UHD is the home format where Ryan's Daughter would shine. While it's no Lawrence of Arabia, it received awards/nominations and should be preserved, but I can't imagine it would be a very big seller either on home video or at the box office again. The films critical appraisal at the time sent Lean on a 14 year hiatus! If WB is considering this now, then why not UHD-Bluray. This is one I would support at any price point.
Now that we're back in sync...I felt that your initial post on this thread was well worth highlighting :).

Many Thanks,

PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Keith,

As I continue my specific campaign for "Ryan's Daughter" (which WAC has readily available without any known red-tape) please let me know on other fronts where I may be of support or service to your campaigns.

Paul Willson-Morris

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Willson
Long time listener, first time caller. The possiblity of Ryan's Daughter being released in blu or better has got me to revive my long dormant htf account and sign in! I've also gone on the record over at Facebook.
Let's make it happen!
Paul

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Didn't David Lean consider Ryan's Daughter the third part of his sun/snow/water trilogy? Perhaps Mr. Harris can respond.

I'm all in on a blu Ray if it ever comes.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
PMF said:
I intend to alert Warner Archive of this thread, in the hopes that they may view the HTF's memberships interests in "Ryan's Daughter" receiving a BD or UHD/4K release.

Please let's avoid any side bars - from this point on - concerning other films such as "The Alamo", "Song of the South" or :wub:Cameron Diaz fantasies. :wub: Such threads already exist or can be created.

Please let's stay specific to David Lean; Freddie Young; 70mm transfers; restoration; and positive reasons for seeing the release of "Ryan's Daughter", which currently may be within our reach.

Thank You,
PMF
I don't think we need to worry about putting our best foot forward here. HTF members are a glorious hotchpotch of diversity and any visitor will see the strength of support expressed across multiple HTF threads devoted to Ryan's Daughter. It's been particularly interesting to discover that several others don't count RD among their Lean favourites, yet would buy an HD disc release in a heartbeat for its extraordinary visuals. Even the posters that scoffed at the notion of a UHD release have made it clear that they would be happy to see it released in that format, but just can't see it happening - which is fair enough.

As this particular thread is dedicated to a 4K UHD release of RD, I'd like to add the following thoughts:

The writing is supposed to be on the wall for this format. More specifically, the received wisdom has it that the format might succeed for new age blockbusters, but catalogue titles won't get a look-in.

I agree that the format is up against it from the start. However, here's another consideration. If major studios have any commitment to making the UHD format succeed (for newer films, say), then they could increase their potential market by releasing select catalogue titles that would shine in 4K by virtue of sublime large-element cinematography - even if they don't sell like hotcakes!

Let's say a bunch of Lean epics are released in UHD. That would give cause for the likes of me to upgrade. Once I've upgraded my equipment on this motivation, I'd then buy new release films in this format too, which I wouldn't consider upgrading for otherwise. So I think that *if* Warner and Sony have a genuine interest in the success of UHD, they could do a lot worse than commit a few select David Lean epics to the format.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Didn't David Lean consider Ryan's Daughter the third part of his sun/snow/water trilogy? Perhaps Mr. Harris can respond.

I'm all in on a blu Ray if it ever comes.
After The Bridge On The River Kwai, Lawrence Of Arabia & Doctor Zhivago, & with epics on the wane, this was David Lean's chance to show he could do great things with a smaller film. Not to be, after an age filming, & burning through a huge amount of money it looks like Lean just couldn't change his ways & his career came to a halt. I'd have loved to see his version of Mutiny On The Bounty. Very much looking forward to seeing Ryan's Daughter for the first time in glorious HD, hopefully next year.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Today, I went to the Warner Archive Facebook page and invited them to read the comments on this thread made by the HTF membership.

Thank you all for your incisive views.

Thus far, of the 21 comments and votes made; 19 members were strongly in favor of seeing Warner Archive's release of "Ryan's Daughter" in HD; it's just that some of us can't believe that it could actually happen.

One thing is for certain; despite the controversies as to where this title falls within it's ranking of David Lean's canon of films; everyone unanimously agrees that THE greatest strength of "Ryan's Daughter" is found within the work of Freddie Young's 70mm cinematography; and, if released in either the BD or the UHD/4K format, that there would be no hesitation in our collective purchases.

This film is for the David Lean/Freddie Young completest who seeks, at a minimum, an HD BD of a visual masterpiece restored to its jaw-dropping brilliance. We've got "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Doctor Zhivago" on HD/BD; and now all we need is just one more title to round out their collaborative trilogy.

Fingers crossed !!!

-PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Worth said:
I think that, realistically, this title could sell somewhere between 2000-5000 copies on blu-ray, at best. UHD? Probably well under a thousand. And even if a 4K master exists, there are still costs involved in releasing a title on disc - authoring, replication, cover design and printing, shipping etc. I just can't see any studio going to all the trouble to sell a few hundred copies.
Nonetheless, if Warner Archive were to come through with a release of "Ryan's Daughter" on UHD/4K or HD/BD, you'd still purchase it...right?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
HERE'S OUR CHANCE !!!

Go to HTF's newly posted thread entitled "Warner Archive Survey for Blu Ray Releases".

WAC is surveying us with a dozen titles from which we can vote for three.

"Ryan's Daughter" is not among the list; but WAC also allows for one write-in vote, as well.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just simply alerting those on this thread who are in support of seeing "Ryan's Daughter" brought to BD.

Meanwhile, movies ARE my life.

I say this without any apologies.

Furthermore, I am proud to be a member of HTF, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks