What's new

UHD Vote for the release of "Ryan's Daughter" on UHD/4K (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Thomas T said:
Yes, you're right. In that case, I'll put in my bid for Song Of The South and the original uncut roadshow version of The Alamo remastered in 4K for UHD release plus a 4K UHD box set of the films of Connie Francis (Where The Boys Are, Follow The Boys, Looking For Love, When The Boys Meet The Girls).
Well the 1984 version if Where The Boys Are is getting a Blu-ray release so why not the Connie Francis version.

I'm for anything Connie Francis related getting a Blu.

Reactions: PMF

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Please expand. It is my understanding that any 6-Track/70mm source; i.e. "My Fair Lady" (1964) or "The Sound of Music" (1965); are marriages made in heaven for BD technology.

Please expand on why the original 6-Track on "Ryan's Daughter" (1970) is not worthy within it's original design?
The 7.1 audio BD of TSOM has the HF missing and is a remix check the French DTS and you can tell.
If they release Ryans Daughter on BD we could have a 4.0 track so we can have the original mix
and also have a Dolby Atmos or DTS X for those who want a remix.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DP 70 said:
The 7.1 audio BD of TSOM has the HF missing and is a remix check the French DTS and you can tell.

I think the hiss removal was the cause and it also removed the higher frequencies, also remember with magnetic soundtracks i believe it's the higher frequencies which deteriorate first, i was also disappointed in this and still wish to know if this years re-release fixes that issue, so if anyone has bought it again and has listened to it i hope they can pipe in regarding the audio.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Ryan's Daughter is an absolute must have for me. I'd be contented with a WAC Blu-ray as they have consistently shown a solid commitment to restoration and preservation in hi-def. No argument here - while not in the same league as Lawrence, Kwai or even Zhivago, Ryan's Daughter is an epic as only David Lean could craft. It's visual style is superior to practically anything we get at the movies today and in 70mm it was simply a breathtaking and all-encompassing feast for the eye and ear. Bottom line: very much deserving of a hi-def release.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I think the hiss removal was the cause and it also removed the higher frequencies, also remember with magnetic soundtracks i believe it's the higher frequencies which deteriorate first, i was also disappointed in this and still wish to know if this years re-release fixes that issue, so if anyone has bought it again and has listened to it i hope they can pipe in regarding the audio.
This years release is the same I have the UK Steelbook. I saw the 70mm DTS SV version of TSOM in Bradford the
audio sounded as good as I remember the 6 track Magnetic version did.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Robert Crawford said:
What's wrong with fantasy dreaming? Most of us know that a BD release is the best we can hope for, but I don't see a problem with others expressing their wishes for a UHD release. Why rain on somebody else's ultimate fantasy parade?
The UHD format may take; chances are it won't. Time will tell, and the debate's been done to death on other threads, often accompanied by needless scorn.

If UHD doesn't suffer stillbirth, I can't think of a more enticing incentive to upgrade than a David Lean Epic Boxset, encompassing Lawrence, Kwai, Zhivago, Ryan and Passage to India.

In any case, I believe Ryan's exceptional cinematography demands a pristine Blu-ray release as a minimum.

[...and yes, the ownership is among different studios, making such a boxset even less likely]

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
They haven't even started releasing UHD 4K yet! It will be interesting to see what's released next year, & how it all goes. For me, there's a few sixties Warner owned films that I'd prefer to Ryan's Daughter, but good luck.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Thomas T said:
Yes, you're right. In that case, I'll put in my bid for Song Of The South and the original uncut roadshow version of The Alamo remastered in 4K for UHD release plus a 4K UHD box set of the films of Connie Francis (Where The Boys Are, Follow The Boys, Looking For Love, When The Boys Meet The Girls).
I, too, would like to see "Song of The South" and "The Alamo" released.

But the marketable differences between these exceptional titles and "Ryan's Daughter" are simple.

"Ryan's Daughter" is not embroiled in issues of Political Correctness ("Song of The South");

nor is "Ryan's Daughter" at the mercy of an M-G-M Studio Head who seems to enjoy a syndrome of too much vinegar with his salad and hay ("The Alamo").

At this moment in time, "Ryan's Daughter" is free and clear and ready to shine.

- PMF

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
RMajidi said:
The UHD format may take; chances are it won't. Time will tell, and the debate's been done to death on other threads, often accompanied by needless scorn.

If UHD doesn't suffer stillbirth, I can't think of a more enticing incentive to upgrade than a David Lean Epic Boxset, encompassing Lawrence, Kwai, Zhivago, Ryan and Passage to India.

In any case, I believe Ryan's exceptional cinematography demands a pristine Blu-ray release as a minimum.

[...and yes, the ownership is among different studios, making such a boxset even less likely]

Release this set in UHD and I'll buy it immediately!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thomas T said:

That is a nice fantasy although I doubt that apart from The Alamo you'd see much of an improvement over the respective Blu-rays even if these would come out on UHD Blu-ray in the best possible quality. Ryan's Daughter is one of the best looking large format movies ever so this makes it a suitable candidate for the format.

Thinking about it you can count me in on all the western large format movies when they come out on UHD Blu-ray in optimum quality, studios can keep the upconverts. I'll even buy Song of Norway and Krakatoa East of Java!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
PMF said:
I, too, would like to see "Song of The South" and "The Alamo" released.

But the marketable differences between these exceptional titles and "Ryan's Daughter" are simple.

"Ryan's Daughter" is not embroiled in issues of Political Correctness ("Song of The South");

nor is "Ryan's Daughter" at the mercy of an M-G-M Studio Head who seems to enjoy a syndrome of too much vinegar with his salad and hay ("The Alamo").

At this moment in time, "Ryan's Daughter" is free and clear and ready to shine.

- PMF

Hey, Mr. Crawford said not to rain on my fantasies! This is about dreaming, isn't it? In my fantasy world, Disney says political correctness be damned and full speed ahead and a pristine print of the original uncut Alamo is discovered in someone's basement!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Nick*Z said:
Bottom line: very much deserving of a hi-def release.

I very much agree. My amusement comes from a campaign to get RD on the 4K/UHD format before it's even been given a standard blu release. I'd very much love to be proven wrong. Right now I'm more concerned that RD may never even get that blu release before the medium packs it in and dies and we're left with streaming and downloading.

Right now everyone is talking about want kind of eggs they want (scrambled, over medium, omelette etc.) before the chicken has even arrived!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
No raining on your parade, intended, whatsoever.

I'm just stating the obstacles to "Song of The South" and "The Alamo"; which I strongly believe are conquerable.

Meanwhile, "Ryan's Daughter" is free from all obstacles and I would be thrilled just to see a BD release, as well.

But what the heck...since UHD/4K is now upon us, what would be the difference; as "RD" has yet to be released in either format.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Thomas T said:
Thomas T, on 23 Sept 2015 - 1:07 PM, said:

Hey, Mr. Crawford said not to rain on my fantasies! This is about dreaming, isn't it? In my fantasy world, Disney says political correctness be damned and full speed ahead and a pristine print of the original uncut Alamo is discovered in someone's basement!

I have this fantasy too! :P

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Thomas T said:
... and a pristine print of the original uncut Alamo is discovered in someone's basement!
This already basically happened once and MGM did nothing to protect the asset, allowing the reasonably pristine print to deteriorate.

If I had such a print, I would not hand it over to MGM I will tell you that much!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I intend to alert Warner Archive of this thread, in the hopes that they may view the HTF's memberships interests in "Ryan's Daughter" receiving a BD or UHD/4K release.

Please let's avoid any side bars - from this point on - concerning other films such as "The Alamo", "Song of the South" or :wub:Cameron Diaz fantasies. :wub: Such threads already exist or can be created.

Please let's stay specific to David Lean; Freddie Young; 70mm transfers; restoration; and positive reasons for seeing the release of "Ryan's Daughter", which currently may be within our reach.

Thank You,

PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks