Vizio VO420E keeps going black

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Our couple year old Vizio 42-Inch LCD TV started randomly going to a black screen. When the screen goes black, you can still hear sound through the speakers. If you hit the menu or A/V buttons, the picture comes back for couple minutes, and then the screen goes black again. What could be causing this?

2. Adam Lenhardt

I think it was a problem with the backlight control. I'd turned that feature off when the TV was first set up, but somehow it got turned back on again. Since turning it back off, no more problems.

3. cobra

cobra Auditioning

Having the same problem, did u turn backlight to 0 or?? It almost seems like it is falling asleep

4. Adam Lenhardt

It's a little tricky to get to. You highlight picture, then you hit the right arrow to bring up the Picture menu. Go down to Advanced Video (one above Reset Picture Mode) and hit the right arrow again to bring up another submenu. Go down to Backlight Control. There are three options: OFF, DCR and OPC. Both DCR and OPC seemed to cause the problem. When I turned this feature to "OFF", the problem went away and the picture overall was much brighter. Good luck!

5. Grace Vargas

Grace Vargas Auditioning

THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS! I WAS READY TO THROW IN THE TOWEL UNTIL I FOUND YOUR POST AND TRIED WHAT YOU RECOMMEND AND LO AND BEHOLD IT WORKED!! I'M ECSTATIC AND RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE WHO HAS A VIZIO AND IS HAVING THIS 'BLACK SCREEN' ISSUE TRIES THIS FIRST. THANKS AGAIN!

6. Adam Lenhardt

You're very welcome! Glad it helped you out.

7. Marieke Giasson

Marieke Giasson Auditioning

After lots of investigation, I thought the sound-but-no-picture problem that I've been having intermittently would require lots of money (or at least a bit of money and a gadgety friend willing to work for beer). I just tried your fix and the picture was immediately brighter. I'm keeping all my bits crossed that it solves the problem for good!!!

8. Adam Lenhardt

Good luck! The fix has worked for me for years at a go now.

9. Marieke Giasson

Marieke Giasson Auditioning

Sadly, it was not to be. Keeps going black on me. Guess it's time to figure out how to swap out a backlight inverter :(

10. Jeanne Petermeier Dunn

I tried this fix today, so far so good. THANK YOU! Picture looks much better too!

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  11. Jannypen

Jannypen New User

Janice
    My 2011 Vizio TV screen went black all of a sudden this morning. No backlighting visible when checking from the back thru the air vents. Sound is good...just a black screen. Could this be a bad backlight already? Or, could it be something more simple? A setting? I am unable to see the screen settings...since there is no picture. Any ideas?

12. Jeanne Petermeier Dunn

My Vizio TV screen started going black. I tried the fix again, but it did not work. Occasionally it won't go black, but most of the time it does. The screen is black and no sound for about 5 seconds. Stays on for about 30-60 seconds before going out again. Last night I realized it didn't do it when I played a DVD. Any more suggestions? Thanks and I appreciate the help.

13. Nick3092

Nick3092 New User

Nick
    You guys can also just change the picture settings from custom to a preset I used the game option and the problem seems to have gone away.

14. Barbara Hampton

Barbara Hampton New User

Barbara Hampton
    How are you supposed to configure the changes you suggest when the screen is black??????

15. Diane Lael Stephens

Diane
    I just had the same problem.... Chocked it just now and it is definitely the Backlight setting.... Take it all the way down to zero and your screen will stop going black! If your screen is black, just hit the volume button and it will come back on then go to the picture settings and set the Backlight to zero... Works like a charm!

16. Anm0013

Anm0013 Auditioning

Angelique
    Can you post information about this, thanks

17. Anm0013

Anm0013 Auditioning

Angelique
    So I have changed the backlight to off, changed the preset to "game". My screen still goes black. When pressing volume or menu- the picture does not come back. I have to turn off/on the TV to get the picture back. Do I need to repair something? If so, what, and how?