What's new

Vision and 3D TV (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Robin Frank
I am posting this here because I can't think of anywhere else that it properly belongs. My better half an I love 3D movies and have had a Panasonic 3D TV and home theater for about a year. When we got the 3D blu ray of Hugo, she complained she was seeing double images. We switched glasses, but she had the same problem. I was viewing it with no problem and the 3D was excellent. I asked to close one eye and then the other, but she reported the problem remained the same. It was as if she was viewing without the 3D glasses. As a test, I played a movie she'd watched and enjoyed a month ago, Same thing...double images. She's having her eyes checked and will probably have new glasses, but I've never heard of a problem like this. Any ideas?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I have zero existence with 3-D televisions, but I've read that you need to face them head on to get the proper view. If you are at any kind of angle, trying to view from the side your will get the double vision since each lens is getting a different view. This may be complete BS, so anybody else feel free to correct me.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
3D movies give me headaches, that's my only personal experience with them. However, I do have a friend who is an Opthalmologist, and he says that some people with eye conditions related to their eye muscles can experience problems from watching 3D movies. I don't remember the details other than him saying that 3D movies place a lot of stress on the eye muscles.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
You might not want to face it but it sounds like your wife's eyesight is waning. I've been going through the same thing myself. 3-D just isn't the same for me. My depth perception is starting to turn to crap.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
CrashGordon said:
I am posting this here because I can't think of anywhere else that it properly belongs. My better half an I love 3D movies and have had a Panasonic 3D TV and home theater for about a year. When we got the 3D blu ray of Hugo, she complained she was seeing double images. We switched glasses, but she had the same problem. I was viewing it with no problem and the 3D was excellent. I asked to close one eye and then the other, but she reported the problem remained the same. It was as if she was viewing without the 3D glasses. As a test, I played a movie she'd watched and enjoyed a month ago, Same thing...double images. She's having her eyes checked and will probably have new glasses, but I've never heard of a problem like this. Any ideas?
Slightly off topic, but I've been reading that 3-D, while popular now, is on its way out, sort of like VHS recorders, just a lot quicker. The TVs are a fad item that will also be rare in the future. And not rare like a collectible, but rare because nobody will be buying them. This of course is info from internet sites, so not always believeable or true, but it does make you wonder. Hope your wifes eyes are OK or maybe it's just the TV and she's fine. Either way I hope for the best for you.

Real Name
Robin Frank
Thanks for the replies. She had here eyes examined and the doctor did note that here eye muscles could be stronger and showed her how to do exercizes to strengthen them, and also changed her lenses. Time will tell. With regard to whether 3D TVs will survive, I think that very much depend on wheter Hollywood produces good 3D or garbage. Avatar and Hugo were excellent. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2, was uneven in its use of 3D. Clash of the Titans was bad. Star Wars Episond I redone in 3D was horrendous. The 3D effect wasn't impressive, the film was too dark, the color was muddy and nothing appeared to be clear.. I can only shudder at what the upcoming after-the-fact Titanic and Lord of the Rings will look like.

Real Name
Robin Frank
All's well that ends well...and I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner. There was nothing wrong with her vision. I have a low, wide center speaker on the TV's pedestal. My better half moved it while dusting. The pedestal isn't flat, but rises as it gets closer to the screen. By moving it, she was partially blocking the TV's signal to the glasses. While I tried her glasses and found them to be fine, I didn't take into account that she is shorter than I am so her glasses weren't functioning when she wore them. I moved the speaker to its original position and she can watch 3D just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks