What's new

Video Games on Sets like PT-47WX49, Toshiba 40H80, etc... (1 Viewer)

Bac Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Come this winter, I'm finally going to take the plunge and upgrade from a 27" Sony trinitron to a larger set. I've been teetering between the 36" Wega Direct View sets and the 40-50 inch 16X9 sets (similar prices of course...roughly 2k range). While I haven't made up my mind yet, I would like to get some input from some of you guys who currently have the RPTV sets like the PT-47WX49, Toshiba 40H80, etc who not only play DVDs on their sets, but also play video games such as Playstation 2, etc. How has the picture been? Are you afraid that excessive video game use on your nice RPTV will hurt the set over a year or so? What have you guys done with the same decision...gone direct view or rp?
I will probably split the use of my new set 3 ways - 33 percent Cable input, 33 percent dvd movies, 33 percent video games.
Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Do some searches here and you'll find plenty of threads discussing playing videogames on RPTVs and Direct View TVs. Basically what it comes down to is that as long as you keep the contrast turned down and don't play for 10 hours at a time, you won't have any problems. I have a 53" RPTV and I've been using it for video games since I bought it 3 years ago and haven't had any problems.
It it were me, I'd get the biggest screen I could afford. Bigger is better! :) Of course, you don't want to buy an RPTV with a crappy digital comb filter though so I wouldn't buy anything too cheap. The models that you listed (and their equivalents) would be good.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I don't have an answer, but I'd like to keep this thread going because I have the same questions. I've noticed that the PS2 actually has a setting in the setup menu for a 16:9 screen size, but I haven't heard of anyone actually testing it.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Another thing: the Nintendo Gamecube actually has a progressive scan/compononent video cable option. Seeing as how the unit is capable of progressive scan, that would lead me to believe that it was also intended for larger, HD displays.

Jay Villero

Agent
Adam -
Not sure if this is true, but I heard the new Madden football for the PS2 will have a 16:9 option that will let you see the width of the field. Sounds pretty cool to me if it's true.

Bac Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses guys. I did do a search and came up with some responses, but not as many as I thought I would. Based on what I've read so far, I'm definitely leaning towards the large RPTV over the direct view. Bigger is better, afterall :) Now which one I choose, that is a whole nother ballgame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks