What's new
World Wide Stereo

VHS/DVD Recorder or PC/Video Capture Card? (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
My VCR of many years has finally bit the dust and I need to get another one for "backwards compatibility". I would also like to convert the videotapes I have over to DVD. I don't have that many - maybe about 15-20. Some of the things I want to convert to a single DVD span multiple tapes.

So, my options are:

1. Buy a stand alone VCR. Get a video capture card and copy the videotapes to file(s) on the hard drive. Edit the files and burn to a DVD.
2. Buy a combination VCR/DVD Recorder.

What I am trying to find out is:
1. Whether option #2 will allow me to take multiple videotapes and combine them onto one DVD. I have seen some VCR/DVD Recorder models with a hard drive. Will that allow me to accomplish that? Or is it just a way to burn DVDs from an external source - PC? Tivo?
2. Are the editing functions on a VCR/DVD Recorder sufficient enough to accomplish my task? My needs aren't that great but a little more advanced that simply recording an entire tape to a DVD.
3. I have seen some VCR/DVD Recorder models that now do upconverting, HDMI, progressive scan, etc. Has the quality of the DVD player in these models improved to where they match a stand alone DVD player?
4. If using a PC is the way to go, what video capture card and editing software would be recommended?

clckworang

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I can only comment for what I have at home. I own a DVDR with a hard drive and love it. It would be easy for you to do what you need to do with it. It's easy to edit out commercials or any other unnecessary footage, you can set playlists to record, thereby allowing the player to record more than one thing on the disc in one session. Plus, you can record onto the disc using various speeds. Obviously, the lower speed you use, the worst the picture quality, but even those things that I burned at a very lower speed are watchable.

Can't comment on the HDMI upconversion on my recorder. I only recently bought a TV that would allow me to do this. Don't know about a video card for the computer either. But I hope I was able to help a bit.

Jason L.

Second Unit

Can you go into a little more detail about the fuctionality of the hard drive.

Is it for recording TV programs like a Tivo?
Is it used to import material from an external device like a videocamera, PVR, or External Storage Device [computer, external hard drive, usb storage]?
Is it used to store the information from the videotape in order to make it easier to edit?

Thanks.

clckworang

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I would compare it to a VCR or Tivo. Although I haven't done so, you're supposed to be able to program a TV Guide feature where you could select to record items much like a Tivo.

Before I got a cable DVR though, I would just use it like a VCR and manually set it to record. You can only record one item at a time, but you can watch any other things that you already had recorded while it's recording. Plus, you can use it much like a Tivo and if you get to the program late, start watching from the beginning while it's still recording.

As far as editing goes, you can edit out any content you want, like commercials, closing credits, whatever. You just set a beginning time to start and then a closing time and then it will delete all in between. You can divide the program, enter a title for it. You can choose different speeds to record. Technically, you can record directly onto a disc, but I think it's a lot smarter to record onto the hard drive at the highest speed and then edit it before burning to a disc later if you want to keep it. You can also record programs onto a DVD at different speeds. With the DVRs I get, at the highest quality speed, you only can record one hour. But I find that even a couple of speeds lower, things are still very watchable, still better than a VCR. Mine also has the option of doing a flexible recording. Like if you have a 90-minute movie you want to burn onto a disc, it's too long to record at XP (the highest setting) but you get two hours at the next speed, so it will burn in an in between speed, maximizing the quality that you can get (I hope I explained that well).

Anyway, it does have a lot of inputs and stuff, but like I said, it basically handles like a VCR, so if you want to record something it has to record in real time, you can't just upload a video. It has a high-speed burning option for burning to a disc, but on my player that's only an option if you are recording in XP. In other words, if you have something more than an hour that you want to burn to a disc, it has to burn in real time. You can keep discs open for future recordings, like if you save a TV show you can burn one episode every week. The disc will still play in that player but won't work in any other players until the disc is finalized. It's pretty rare that a finalized disc doesn't play in another DVD player, but it has happened a couple of times.

There might be a couple of things that you asked about that I haven't used it for before, but I hope I was able to answer most of your questions. And sorry if this got way too long for everyone; it just sounded like you wanted a thorough response.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I would very strongly recommend the PC route. www.videohelp.com has specific advice. If you can, try to find a JVC used VCR with Time Base Correction and Noise Reduction, like an old HR-S7600U (which I use). It will end up costing a LOT more in both time and money do to things this way, but your output will be extremely professional and easily edited, and easy to share with others if need be. I can't recommend capture hardware, my knowledge is very out of date on that. For DVD creation I recommend Sony Movie Studio + DVD. Avoid Pinnacle products.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I do everything on my PCs. I have several tuner/capture cards and have the process pretty well defined. The PC is a very powerfull way to capture, edit, convert, author, and burn DVDs. (note the multiple and, except for "Convert", non-optional, steps involved)

If all you want or need to do is converting old tapes, then a standalone DVD burner is probably the logical method. If you want to turn your PC into a PVR, then capturing comes along with the territory.

I would not suggest a "Combo" VCR/anything type of unit. Get a cheap VCR and DVD recorder of your choice: selected with desired usage in mind. If anything happens to break the VCR section of a combo, the entire machine will shut down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks