What's new

Pre-Order Vera Cruz (1954) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
8C7F00D4-72D0-4428-B723-2EA5C92E2E9B.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm interested to hear an informed opinion about the picture quality on this disc. If it's far better than on the original Blu-ray disc, I'll upgrade.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm interested to hear an informed opinion about the picture quality on this disc. If it's far better than on the original Blu-ray disc, I'll upgrade.
should be the same transfer. possibly different bitrate.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
should be the same transfer. possibly different bitrate.
@Robert Harris I know you haven't examine the film elements, but with this being an independent production distributed by United Artists back in the day, is there any chance this movie could look pristine like "The Searchers" within a reasonable budget? I know Kino mentioned a new 2K Master which who knows what that really means?

I don't expect this upcoming Blu-ray to look pristine, but I do hope it's an improvement over the 2011 Blu-ray.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It's MGM/UA - unless Kino paid for them to do a new transfer, which I think they'd mention, it's going to be the same transfer.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
It should (Better) be an Improvement. I've been waiting Forever for an Upgrade on Vera Cruz and The Horse Soldiers. Hope Horse Soldiers is coming soon also.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
@Robert Harris I know you haven't examine the film elements, but with this being an independent production distributed by United Artists back in the day, is there any chance this movie could look pristine like "The Searchers" within a reasonable budget? I know Kino mentioned a new 2K Master which who knows what that really means?

I don't expect this upcoming Blu-ray to look pristine, but I do hope it's an improvement over the 2011 Blu-ray.
Zero chance of looking like Searchers

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mr. Erickson’s words are among the best found on the inter-web.
True, if you want to read about his commentary about a film. I'm more interested in reading more detail about the disc's presentations. With that said, based on Erickson's comments about this disc, this upcoming release looks like another 3.5 video presentation to me while your grade will most likely be less than that.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
True, if you want to read about his commentary about a film. I'm more interested in reading more detail about the disc's presentations. With that said, based on Erickson's comments about this disc, this upcoming release looks like another 3.5 video presentation to me while your grade will most likely be less than that.
Forthcoming

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Nice improvement in textures and detail, unfortunately shadow detail has suffered substantially:
Still looks like an upgrade because of the other improvements but if this is not an error in the capture then this reminds me a bit of the UHD of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly where there is also an issue with shadow detail.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nice improvement in textures and detail, unfortunately shadow detail has suffered substantially:
Still looks like an upgrade because of the other improvements but if this is not an error in the capture then this reminds me a bit of the UHD of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly where there is also an issue with shadow detail.
I'm watching the new Blu-ray now and it's a noticeable improvement over the prior Blu-ray release.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
DVD Beaver has a Review with many Photos. :) It looks Much Better than the old MGM Bluray ! :D Can't wait to get mine from Amazon.
aaa blu-ray-vera-cruz.jpg
aaa blu vera cruz.jpg

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Or you could order it from Kino and add a few of their many SALE titles to get free shipping. That's what I did. I was going to stand pat with the old Blu-ray, but this looks like an upgrade.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Or you could order it from Kino and add a few of their many SALE titles to get free shipping. That's what I did. I was going to stand pat with the old Blu-ray, but this looks like an upgrade.
It's Definitely an Upgrade. ;) Pre-ordered mine on Amazon for $4.00 ! I had some left over Reward Points. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks