What's new

vBulletin (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Wasn't there talk of trying to switch the forum over to vBulletin again once the new server was in place? Any new developments? Is that ever going to happen? Just curious…

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Carl:
It will happen. I am just waiting on getting everything else working better. Lot's of members are still hitting our old site when they try to access the forum instead of going to this new one.
Then we have to have a day set up to do over a weekend night and then have it back up on a Monday so we can see how it handles a load.
The program itself is installed, I have a few more things to add to it but other than that it is done.
Parker

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
Woohoo! Thank you!!
wink.gif

------------------
[ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here is another one waiting for the switch.
And FYI - I am on a Mac, but I had no problems last time.
------------------
-Rodney
No MAR'ed Films, I want my OAR!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I was talking with Vince last week, and he mentioned that you are planning to switch to vBulletin sometime after Thanksgiving. I just wanted to make you aware that there is a new version of vBulletin that was recently released, vBulletin 2.2.0 You should upgrade to this version as it fixes sevaeral bugs, and a security hole. It also adds a couple of nice features. I should warn you that it has one problem with the way it handles registrations. They should fix this bug within a few days. I provided a link to the thread in question below.
Link Removed
My forums, which use vBulletin, will be up and running in a few days. I think you will notice a lot of similarities between my forums and the HTF, and it is not because I couldn't come up with my own ideas. You guys just know how a forum should be run to make it the most respected one of it's type on the internet. Running my foums with similar policies has led to us being one of the best Harry Potter forums on the internet. I thank you giving me a great example on how to set up, and run a professional, respected forum.
By the way, the forums are not set up yet, because we are switching from an ezbooard. It was not the best, but the only thing we could afford at the time. We did the best with the system that we had. Our needs and financial abilities have changed, and that is why we are switching. So far, I love the software, and when they get that issue fixed, it will be GREAT!
One last thing. I have always hated Post Icons, I guess because the HTF never had them, and the HTF was the first message board I ever posted at. I think they are so tacky looking. Do you guys hate them too?
Sorry for the long off topic post, but I have been wanting to tell you guys how much I appreciate the good example that you have set on how to run a professional forum.
Thanks.
Joshua Clinard, Proud Member of the HTF!
[Edited last by Joshua Clinard on November 13, 2001 at 03:06 PM]

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Joshua:
I am well aware of the newest version, which is 2.2.1, and of the features and "bugs" with vBulletin and I have been working on getting it set up and running. I too do not like the post icons and they will not be there.
Parker

Joel Noble

Grip
Parker:
Can you tell us more about the configuration? Will the MySQL use row-locking Innodb tables? What problems did you run into before and what things have gotten better such that the problems are now solved?
Many of us geek-types will never have a chance to deal with anything as high-volume as HTF, so anything you learn and could pass on would be great!
Thanks for all you do for us,
j
------------------

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Joel:
For now we are going to try using the standard config for MySQL. If the thread locking becomes an issue we can try converting the tables over to Innodb to see if that helps.
We ran into problems the last time because I was using a beta version of vBulletin. Also we may find, like AVS Forums did, that we have to use a dual server configuration. That remains to be seen. They went to a dual server layout but the system admin that I am working with on this thinks we can tweak the database so that it can handle our loads. Again that remains to be seen. That is why we have chosen to close down the forum Sunday night. Load up everything into the database and reopen with vBulletin on Monday to see whats what. If the loads get too high we will move back to UBB until we can figure out what to do.
For now we are running the latest versions of MySQL, PHP and Linux. This is running on a dual Pentium 1.26G with 512K of cache each, dual channel RAID 5 with 128M of RAM, 2G of ECC 133 RAM and four hot swap 18.1G SCSI 10K Hard drives.
The other problem we had was we out grew the old server. For a comparison we were running loads of 120 during the day on our old server and now if our load gets above 1.2 we are getting hit hard with usage. So hopefully this server will be able to handle the MySQL/PHP layout with ease.
We shall see.
Parker

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I am looking forward to the software upgrade on Monday. I really like some of the features. Here are two that really surprised me:
* Create a Buddy list, see when they are on-line, and send private messages to them
* Add irritating members to your IGNORE list so you never see a post from them
------------------
aotc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks