What's new

Vanilla Sky - Any chance of Director's Cut? (1 Viewer)

Chris Joyner

Stunt Coordinator
I saw "Vanilla Sky" at the store on sale for $8.88 today. I want to buy it, but the only reason I didn't buy it when it originally came out was because Cameron Crowe released "Almost Famous" twice, and I had read that he trimmed down "Vanilla Sky" considerably. So does anyone know if this movie will be getting a special treatment in the future, or should I go ahead and spend the $8.88 for the theatrical version?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Depends.... how much do you like the movie? It's a great disc with some worthwhile extras... eight bucks plus change is a steal. I'd certainly double dip if a new edition came out, and I paid a lot more than $8.88!

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I tried watching this movie on DVD and it just bored me that I was skipping chapters every once in a while. I rather watch the Russian version of SOLARIS again than trying to watch Vanilla Sky again. Vanilla Sky does make me curious if the orginal movie (Open Your Eyes) is a great movie (I need to see the original one of these days), but Vanilla Sky just was the worst movie I tired to watch on DVD last year. I do wish people luck (that liked Vanilla Sky) on getting a Special Edition version released on DVD witha longer cut.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I've held off on buying it, because Crowe does seem to be a director that rereleases his movies in Special Editions.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
This doesnt hold a candle to the original. If they come out with a Special Edition of the original, I would get it.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Did Crowe really cut that much out of it? Cause last time I checked, the film is mostly a shot-by-shot remake of Open Your Eyes (I know a few scenes were deleted, but not a lot to get a "director's cut" edition).

I know when the DVD was released, Crowe was talking about taking the two ten minute featurettes that were on the DVD and extending them both out to over 90 minutes for either a two-disc special edition of the film or a stand alone extras disc at a later point in time. But nothing has ever happened since. I wouldn't mind picking it up if the documentaries are worth it, and specially since I bought the Vanilla Sky almost a year ago for $10 brand new.

Cameron Crowe only re-released Jerry Maguire as the first DVD of the film came out in the "early days of DVD" when discs were bare-bones. Same applies to Singles, but that special edition has not appeared yet (and maybe not appear till 2005).

Almost Famous was re-released as the material for the discs weren't finished in time for it's initial release to DVD in early 2001 and DreamWorks didn't want to wait.

Say Anything was released as a SE right out the gate.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
When VS was released they said a Dir Cut was on the way and nothing new has been said since.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

No clue if there'll be another edition, though I'd speculate "no", at least not anytime soon. But even if one DOES appear, can you really go wrong for $8.88? Worst case scenario is that you buy a new version a year or two down the road and sell this one - you'll get at least five bucks for it, so your ownership essentially equals a rental cost.

It's nine bucks, dude - go for it! :D

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
Cameron has never stated that a director's cut is coming. Only that we may see a new version with a longer documentaries, deleted scenes, an additional commentary, etc. The theatrical version was his director's cut...I expect to see a new Vanilla Sky and a new Singles DVD probably in late 2005 (to coincide with the DVD debut of his next film, Elizabethtown)

Thanks
Greg Mariotti
www.theuncool.com
Cameron Crowe Online

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
The only really notable scene that was cut was the lobby shootout(no Matrix fans, it's not what you think). Open Your Eyes had this scene, and a quick shot of it was in the Vanilla Sky trailer so we know it was filmed.

Honestly, I don't think that would be enough to warrant a new cut of the movie and another "Special Edition" DVD. The current one is fine.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Yeah, don't expect a special edition. We're talking about Paramount here. They hardly ever do double dips. They wouldn't even do an SE of Apocalypse Now, even though all the material is right there. If they release a movie you like, buy it, especially if it's $8.88.

Eric Estrada

Agent
This was taken From CameronCroweOnline.com a while back in 2003:

"5. Any news on a new Vanilla Sky or Singles DVD? - I think we'll see both of them eventually. I know Cameron wants to revisit Singles and include additional deleted scenes, more music and lots of other goodies. He's mentioned that Vanilla Sky is a possibility as well since time constraints limited the amount of extras the first time around. Additional extras could include a commentary track (with the actors or DP John Toll), a longer version of "Hitting it Hard" and deleted scenes. I wouldn't expect to see either DVD this year, but let's keep our fingers crossed for 2004."

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

I usually love Cameron Crowe, but I didn't like Vanilla Sky at all. The original Spanish film is far superior. But then again, I happen to think Tarkovsky's Solaris is a masterpiece.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks