What's new

Using headphones on tv when there is no headphone jack (1 Viewer)

DanielBH

Agent
I badly want to use headphones on my television, but I have no headphone jack in any piece of hardware related to the tv. I've read around, and it would seem that there is an adapter than can turn your audio outputs into a headphone jack; but I can not find anywhere that sells such an adapter. It could be that I'm just using the wrong words or looking in the wrong place, so maybe you guys can help me? I'm looking to use a cable for the headphones; I figure I have enough signals going penetrating my brain already. lol

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
What type of audio outputs does your TV have?

If it has L/R RCA jacks, I believe Radio Shack has "Y" adapters that will join them to a 1/8" headphone jack (walkman style) or a 1/4" headphone jack.

DanielBH

Agent
Yep; the instruction manual says L / R; and the white/red ports along with the plugs on mine match up to the description and photo of RCA jacks at Wiki. The key for me is that "Y adapter" word! lol I should be able to find it now; thanks! :-D

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
You might want to make sure the TV's volume control also applies to the line level (red/white) output. My Sony CRT TV's volume control doesn't, and if I connected headphones to the TV set directly, the headphones would basically be blasting at full volume at all times.

If you have a receiver, you could run an audio cable from the TV's red/white outputs to an analog input in the receiver, and connect the headphones to the receiver. You could then use the receiver's remote to control the volume.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
You can also buy a set of headphones with a volume control, just a little rheostat in the middle of the cord.

DanielBH

Agent

Got the Y-splitter, and it all works except for the volume control issue. I've tried the RCA input suggestions, and they don't work with my equipment; but I think I may have found another solution:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...4&src=3SOSWXXA

It seems to be an in-line volume control adapter for headphones. I've had to buy a headphone extension cord given that my existing headphone wires are short, so I believe this or a like adapter could solve my problem; I would just plug the adpater into the extension cord, and then plug my headphones into the adpater.

Anyone have experience with these in-line adapters? It seems like it should be my solution; I was just wondering if you guys disagreed before I run and get one. Thanks again for all of this help! :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Radio Shack sells extension cords and in-line volume controls.

My only concern is that this will give you 3 breaks in the wire and these connections are sometimes ... sensitive. I have had to tape some together to keep the connections working.

Glad to know you have a solution in the works.

DanielBH

Agent

Thanks! :) Hopefully the sensitivity won't be a problem, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. The extension cord I bought from Radio Shack is incredibly tight, so I can't imagine it being a problem; the in-line volume control ports are the question mark. It will probably be a week or so (about to leave on vacation), but 'll let you know how it turns out when I get back!

DanielBH

Agent
Just a quick note to let you know that everything works great! :-D I bought a "Volume Control Headphone Extension Cord" from Radio Shack, and the Fantastic Four Extended Cut sounded great! I'm not sure why Radio Shack calls this inline control an "Extension Cord", though; it's only about 8 inches long! lol

Thanks again for all your help! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks