What's new

Using a 55" 4k UHD Television as display with Retina iMac/Macbook Pro? (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the assistance, guys. I am obviously new to this kind of setup and I was hoping for the kind of advice you are providing.

Let me address some of your questions...

I realize I don't have to constantly reboot the iMac. However, the problem is, once I turn off the display, the HDMI connection breaks and thus, I can't get my desktop back unless I reboot the iMac. Something about breaking that HDMI connection also breaks the permanent desktop to display connection. I can see the mouse pointer, faintly, but not the desktop.

So, until someone suggests something here, I have to constantly reboot. That's a pain.

Thomas,

What you posted is encouraging.

How do I configure the monitors extended monitors in desktop mode? I don't think I have ever seen that. Is that something different than just the DISPLAY settings?

For all the negatives I have posted here, I am still very happy with my choice to do this. I find using my iMac to be a more enjoyable experience on this larger screen. It's something I have always wanted to do. Obviously, not for everyone.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
For all the negatives I have posted here, I am still very happy with my choice to do this. I find using my iMac to be a more enjoyable experience on this larger screen. It's something I have always wanted to do. Obviously, not for everyone.
Well that's the important thing.:)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I bet this looks cool, but (as usual) I'm with Sam at being a little baffled. I don't understand the benefit of using one huge monitor, with much lower resolution, because two computer monitors are too big and take too much effort to navigate. You want to get more on your screen, but want to do it with (considerably) fewer pixels.

I would use the iMac and get a second, 27" 4K computer monitor. I'm a dual monitor addict myself. Have run those for years.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

It's a far more immersive experience. I love having this huge display in front of me.

Yes, the resolution is not quite as sharp, but the overall experience trumps that annoyance.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DaveF said:
Any success with PIP?

Never tried it. Using EyeTV software. I can output the sound through my computer speakers and adjust the size of the window. Can't do that with the PIP.

gtso86

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabriel Tadeu
Hello Ronald,

I'm about to get a similar workstation, sadly I know for now any Mac (Mine is a Retina 15") can't delivery 4k@60Hz via HDMI (only via double tunderbolt), so using only 30Hz, can you see a problem when you play an video? Play a game (even a casual one)? Scroll down faster a website? Any ghosting/juddering?

Do you regret choose a 55"instead 65"screen?

For me using a really big workspace is good because I can put more than one app side by side, so I can code and without refresh see what is happening in a side window.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No regrets going 55". A 65" would have been waaaay to big. Realize your head moves more upward now. I do get kinks in my neck once awhile keeping my head titled up to see the top of the screen. Would have been much worse on a 65" display.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:
Never tried it. Using EyeTV software. I can output the sound through my computer speakers and adjust the size of the window. Can't do that with the PIP.
Cool. My guess was that TV via OS X would be easier to manage than PiP.

Out of curiosity, do you have the TV going for background noise, or to watch shows?

gtso86

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabriel Tadeu
Gabriel Tadeu said:
Can you see a problem when you play an video? Play a game (even a casual one)? Scroll down faster a website? Any ghosting/juddering?

Any side effect from 30Hz?

Ronald Epstein said:
No regrets going 55". A 65" would have been waaaay to big. Realize your head moves more upward now. I do get kinks in my neck once awhile keeping my head titled up to see the top of the screen. Would have been much worse on a 65" display.

How far you sit from screen?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron,

I totally get the idea of it being immersive. My use for computers is probably completely different. It's mostly a tool for doing work. I own a largely computer based business and I'm on computers most of the day, primarily working with text, and the resolution would probably give me a headache. Still, I can't believe that I'm finding two 1920x1200 monitors to be less real estate than I'd like. I'm looking forward to the moving up to even more pixel space.

Now, when I'm at home working on images, I can definitely see the beauty of a large 4k monitor, along with another one with more tightly packed pixels for menus and so on. I'm sure your setup makes quite an impression. As someone suggested, you might be a Mac Pro customer, if they come out with new models. The current ones don't make a lot of sense to me. For the price, they need to be bigger performers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gabriel,

Sorry to be replying to you a little late. I usually use my Macbook Pro more than my desktop, so I had to wait till this morning to test out a few things.

Also, before I answer, I wanted to welcome you to this forum. Hope you remain an active participant. Nice to have you aboard.

To answer your question best I can....

There doesn't seem to be any side effects using 30Hz.

Using the Magic Trackpad 2, pointer speed and scrolling seems to be just as fast as the iMac desktop.

Played a couple YouTube videos in HD a few minutes ago, and they look absolutely fine.

I did go out of my way to purchase Samsung's mid-line display. So, I think it has better refresh rates and handles itself very well for this purpose.

I really love this huge display on my desktop. It's really feels like an awesome, totally new experience for me. I do kind of miss, however, the crisp images and text that the Retina iMac provides. However, I knew this would be a trade-off. Really, I don't mind the less-than-perfect resolution I am getting with this 55" display. In all, I am sacrificing a bit of sharpness for a more immersive experience.

And, JohnRice, I think my next purchase will indeed be a Mac Pro. However, that's a year away for certain.

gtso86

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabriel Tadeu
Ronald Epstein said:
Gabriel,

Sorry to be replying to you a little late. I usually use my Macbook Pro more than my desktop, so I had to wait till this morning to test out a few things.

Also, before I answer, I wanted to welcome you to this forum. Hope you remain an active participant. Nice to have you aboard.

To answer your question best I can....

There doesn't seem to be any side effects using 30Hz.

Using the Magic Trackpad 2, pointer speed and scrolling seems to be just as fast as the iMac desktop.

Played a couple YouTube videos in HD a few minutes ago, and they look absolutely fine.

I did go out of my way to purchase Samsung's mid-line display. So, I think it has better refresh rates and handles itself very well for this purpose.

I really love this huge display on my desktop. It's really feels like an awesome, totally new experience for me. I do kind of miss, however, the crisp images and text that the Retina iMac provides. However, I knew this would be a trade-off. Really, I don't mind the less-than-perfect resolution I am getting with this 55" display. In all, I am sacrificing a bit of sharpness for a more immersive experience.

And, JohnRice, I think my next purchase will indeed be a Mac Pro. However, that's a year away for certain.

I just bought a 65JU7500 in Black Friday and now I'm waiting to receive it (estimate delivery only before Xmas!). Since I'm buying new furniture too I need wait few weeks before to hang the TV and start to using, but I'll share my experience after create my new workstation here

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gabriel Tadeu said:
I just bought a 65JU7500 in Black Friday and now I'm waiting to receive it (estimate delivery only before Xmas!). Since I'm buying new furniture too I need wait few weeks before to hang the TV and start to using, but I'll share my experience after create my new workstation here

Wow, Gabriel, you went with the 65".

Definitely on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how you fare with it.

Still waiting for some kind of thunderbolt adapter that will allow me to bump up the resolution somewhat.

Otherwise, I am really enjoying using my Mac on a 55" display.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I didn't say cable.

I said adapter. There is supposed to be an introduction of a new adapter that bumps up resolution for these kind of connections that previously was not available.

gtso86

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabriel Tadeu
Ronald Epstein said:
I didn't say cable.

I said adapter. There is supposed to be an introduction of a new adapter that bumps up resolution for these kind of connections that previously was not available.

The best (active) adapter I found so far... https://www.facebook.com/club3d/posts/921045647962567?_rdr=p / http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

miniDisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 with 4K UHD 3840x2160p @ 60Hz

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for. Thanks, Gabriel -- and while I am here --- welcome to HTF! Hope you stick around.

As I read the press release on Facebook I am beginning to wonder if I really need this adapter.

Yes, I would love to get up to 60Hz. However, I don't game on my Mac. Right now, at 30Hz (which is where I think I am), I am having absolutely no problems with my display. I guess what I am ultimately looking for is a wee-bit sharper resolution, but I don't think that is possible given the fact I have considerably blown up the image.

...and don't take that as any form of unhappiness. I love what I have done. Just always looking for ways to improve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks