What's new
World Wide Stereo

Upgrade time - Studio 20/40 (1 Viewer)

Jason GT

Second Unit
I'd never thought I'd do this but ... maybe it's time to upgrade :D

(audio) equipment of record:
HK 320
PSB Alpha Bs (bookshelves for fronts and surrounds)
PSB Alpha C (center channel)
Paradigm PW 2200

I'm thinking of moving up to some Paradigm Reference stuff for the front 3 speakers at least. My question is -- is there really much difference between the Studio 20 and 40, especially considering that I have a decent subwoofer?

My thoughts are this: the biggest differences, performancewise, between the 40 and the 20 are:
1) bass extension
2) sensitivity.

I demoed the 20s and was surprised with their bass extension; the dealer didn't have 40s available. However, my receiver is rated at 55 odd watts, and I'm concerned about the 20s' 86 dB anechoic sensitivity.

So, what do you all think? There seem to be dozens of threads contrasting the 40 and 60 but none really for the 40 and 20. Thoughts would be appreciated!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 20's. I think they are great for HT and darn good for music. With that said, I would try very much to demo the 40's. The problem with 40's though, once you buy stands and the 40's you're within close range to afford the 60's. So, in that case, check the pricing for 60's, unless you have stands already or you only want a bookshelf speaker. I think the biggest thing you'll be giving up with the 20's is a little bit of sensitivity. Bass extentsion on both is such that your sub is necessary. The PW-2200 is a well regarded HT sub that does fairly well with music.

I choose the Servo-15. While I was waiting for my 100's, I used my Studio 20's up front. If I were to be honest to the Mrs., the 100's aren't $1000-1300 (depending on discount) better than the 20's when mated with the Servo-15. I like having the option of turning off the sub for music though, so the 100's were the obvious choice.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Like with any speaker discussion opinions here will vary. When I made my purchase I thought that the 40's had a little better bass extension but other than that I did not hear much difference. I chose to go with the 20's and use the savings for a subwoofer purchase. In my opinion with a decent sub the 20's are fine.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
It should work very well, but make sure you get the shielded Studio 40. That is unless you have a front projector.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
Don't fret, I purchased the Studio CC for my 100's. I don't know how easily the 40 could be implemented with my entertainment center. Plus, I could change things in the future. I went the most popular route, cause it's much easier to get a studio CC than a 40 with the magnashield from a dealer who doesn't normally stock any of them.

Ron_L

Second Unit
That's true.

Plus receiver rolls off the center channel at 80hz anyways. Maybe If I were to get a Lexicon....I'd pick up a Studio 40

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks