What's new

Updated theater pics... added recliners (thanks Wal-mart) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Holton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to Wal-mart. I was able to replace the couches in my theater with "genuine" leather recliners. I needed 7 chairs... and after pricing them from several different furniture stores, I had given up the hope.

But Wal-mart was selling these recliners for $175 a piece. Now, these are definatly not the greatest leather chairs in the world, and you don't sink into them like other more expensive chairs. But, they are actually pretty comfortable, and in the relatively dim theater lighting, you can't really tell the difference.

And the fact that I could furnish the entire room for about the same price as one "nice" chair... I couldn't resist. And, I've been very pleased with the result.

I thought this might be handy for the rest of the "budget" theater enthusiasts out there.

* I apologize for the poor picture quality... I just got a new digital camera and I am still learning how to use it.

* The link to my theater is below in my signature.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Those look pretty sweet for $175 a piece! I'll have to make a trip to Wal-Mart and check 'em out. Thanks for the tip, Jeff.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Geez, our Wal-Mart doesn't sell any furniture :frowning: Those look SOOOO inviting btw!!! I found some really nice chairs at Ikea that would be perfect for a theater, they are only $150 canadian for the cloth and man, they are SOOOO comfy! The chair is called the POÄNG armchair whic can be seen
here.

DarrinH

Second Unit
How far of a throw do you have from your projector and how big of an image does that throw result?

Jeff Holton

Stunt Coordinator
The throw distance is right at 16 1/2 feet... and the image is about 105 inches on the diagonal. It barely fits within the screen... it is the smallest image the projector can throw at that distance... any closer and I would have had to mount it from the ceiling.

Those chairs are sweet for the money, good lookout. I am about to go shopping for funiture, now I dont have to assuming I will like these.

Thanks,
Aaron

MikeWh

Second Unit
I have 4 of those IKEA POÄNG chairs Cam mentioned. I added the footstools, too. You can see them in the virtual tour on my webpage (see WWW button). Price is US$79, plus US$40 for the footstool. Definitely a cheap but very nice looking HT chair.

They are pretty comfortable, but our only complaint-- my wife and I usually flip the headrest cushion over the back of the chair. For our slightly elevated screen, the cushion tends to push your head downward a little.

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
I have been shopping seats for a while. I have a rather modest HT in size, so only a couple or 3 seats, not a small auditorium full.
I did like what Wal-Mart had for the price, but I believe it is an internet offer only. You can't normally pick them up at the store.

For those with the budget, or like me only needing a couple of seats, the following thread offers some good deals.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=137745

Im in the same boat as you Dale. I only needed 2 or 3. Tonight I went to Wal Mart and they didn't have them. I ended up breaking the bank and buying 2 REALLY plush leather lay z boys. They were stickered at 800$ each but they sold me 2 for 1200$. Im definatly happy with them!

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
It is good to see all of your remotes up by your center speaker. I am glad I am not the only one who still uses multiple remotes. I have thought about going for a universal remote, but haven't yet. I really like your theater.

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,
You got a great deal for LazyBoys. I decided on the Godfather seats at 4seating..they are more like what I envisioned for theater seats.
I called and found out it does take 3 or 4 weeks as they are built to order. They assured me they are extremely well made.
So I went ahead and bit the bullet. I will give a mini review and pics upon reciept of the merchandise.
I think the Costco seats are a great alternative, esp with free shipping. But found the styles and colors too limiting.
But if they have what you need I doubt you could do much better for theater seats at that price.

MikeWh

Second Unit
** UPDATE ON THE WAL-MART CHAIRS **

One of my local Wal-Marts has the chairs on sale right now for $155.54 (down from $175ish). These look like pretty decent HT chairs, especially for the money. I wasn't able to sit in it, because the display chair was up on a shelf. The display chair was beige. The boxed ones (and the sale tags) indicate black.

Jeff--- I pulled the recliner lever on the display model, and it didn't seem to keep the footrest up. Do you have any problems with your chairs?? Also, were you able to get all 7 at the same time/same store (i.e., did they have all those in-stock??)

Jeff Holton

Stunt Coordinator
MikeWh,

The chairs only really extend the footrest to about 60 degrees... I guess that could be considered one of the drawbacks, but for me, I don't like my feet all the way up anyway... so it worked out. It also allows you to put the rows of chairs a little closer together.

The first time you sit on one, don't let the "stiffness" of the seat cushion scare you away. You only have to sit in it a few times to soften it up.

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Great looking theater, Jeff. You know it seems ironic that in order to put in that many so-called theater seats the cost would be prohibitive.
So unless you really have the financial resources most of those seats will be in smaller numbers in more modest home theaters.
I guess it's making compromises in the right places, which should not be in the equipment or basic construction.
Looking at theaters like yours gives me inspiration as we just bought a new home with a un-landscaped back yard. I know one way I would like to fill up a lot of that space ....!

David Preston

Supporting Actor
That looks great. Would have never guessed those were from Wal Mart. Not that there is anything wrong with Wal Mart. What couches were you using before and did you alredy get rid of them. I could use a new couch for HT use. That is one nice set up. David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks