What's new

Upconverting DVD for CRT RPTV suggestions (1 Viewer)

Chris Homer

Agent
Can anyone suggest a low cost upconverting DVD player for a Sony HD Rear Projection CRT TV(KDP 51WS550)?

I picked up a Toshiba SD-K860 at Costco, but never unboxed it as the review homtheaterhifi wasn't promising. I'm trying to replace my Sony DVP-S300 which is about 10 years old and doesn't handle rented scratched discs well at all and also is intermittent on home made DVD's.

My TV has DVI and Component, but my componet is full, so I'd use the DVI. I'd like to keep it below $200 and even cheaper if possible as I'd like to go with true HD via DVD at some point.

Thanks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have a Sony KP-57WS520 - similar set as yours. My set has been fully calibrated and ISF'd.

Upconversions serves NO benefit over 480p for these displays. In fact, it tends to soften the image in this case. Pure 480p over component produces the best standard DVD image on these displays (as opposed to upscaling/DVI/HDMI).

For your price range, I strongly recommend the Oppo 970 which can be bought for around $150. It does have an HDMI connection if you must use one, but I'd try to stick with component.

Chris Homer

Agent
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I only have 2 component connections on the rear of the TV and both are in use, one with cable box (I don't think our HDMI is active on our boxes in my area) and the other with digital tuner as my built in bit the dust. Had to actually pull my PS2 from component to hook up the tuner and that was a big loss in picture quality to go back to S-video with it.

When returning the Toshiba today, I noticed Costco had a Sony DVP-NS71HP for about $130. Anyone have any info on this one?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

One thing I'd like to add about upscaling - if you are annoyed by seeing horizontal scanlines at 480 - upscaling to 1080i will make them invisible. So, that is a benefit actually.

Chris Homer

Agent

Never thought about that, but if it's anything like my Optical audio switcher where I have to manually switch it, that's kind of annoying.

I'll look into it though.

Anyone have any actual models and manufacturers of DVD players I should look at? Haven't found much info on that Sony from Costco.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Dave, that is a really useful insight. I have a Tosh 65H84 and have wondered about getting an upconverting player. If I understand you correctly, I have nothing to gain by buying an upconverter player. I see no scan lines with DVD, (or anything else). If I'm missing something, let me know.

Thanks

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The real advantage with upscaling is to do 1:1 pixel mapping which can only be done on a digital display.

Now, let me throw a little exception into the mix. :)

Some CRT RPTVs - I believe this is the case with the Toshibas - automatically upconvert a 480p signal to 540p. If this is true, you may be better off using an upscaling player to upconvert to 1080i. Why? Because the scaler in a decent player will do a better job than the scaler in the display in many cases. However, it's just something you won't know for sure until you try. Some of the very low priced ($75-$100) upscaling players probably are of no benefit.

My Sony CRT RPTV does 480i, 480p, and 1080i natively. I've tried some high end upscaling players and in EVERY case, just leaving it at 480p (not upscaling) gives a slightly sharper image. However, I can sometimes see scanlines....which can annoy me....so that may be when I do upscale to 1080i.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

This is not authorized by Oppo, but there is a firmware hack floating around which will allow any DVD to be upconverted over component with the 970. From what I've heard, there have been no ill side-effects from it. It's been discussed at AVS.

One more thing about the 970 upconversion (not related to the firmware hack). Due to the chipset being used, the image is very slightly vertically compressed at 720p/1080i. Oppo told me they are working on a firmware fix for this.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
You will see a little macroblocking with a Sony CRT RPTV and the 971. The 971 does have a smoother looking image than the 970, but it is softer. I'd go with the 970 and use it at 480p...it will be sharper but a bit noisier.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I have a Mitsubishi 55413 with a Dvi connection avaiable. It is my understanding that using that connection will not benefit me. I believe Gregg Loewen told me that when he calibrated the set earlier in the year. What do Oppo owners think? Would either of these players look good just over component cables? Both of those imputs were calibrated and not the dvi.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The 971 doesn't do component 480p - so, you'd have to go with the 970. For the money, it does a nice job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks