What's new

Upcoming Disney releases, including The Santa Clause SE (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
BURBANK, Calif., May 8, 2002 - - Buena Vista Home Entertainment, the #1 leader in the home entertainment industry, is proud to announce more magical titles for 2002. BVHE’s winning mix of animated and live action excitement offers soon-to-be bestsellers for every audience taste. The schedule includes superstar director Quentin Tarantino’s PULP FICTION COLLECTOR’S EDITION and JACKIE BROWN COLLECTOR’S EDITION, in special Miramax Collector’s Series DVD packages, loaded with bonus features. BVHE’s awesome animated films include the all-new THE ADVENTURES OF TOM THUMB & THUMBELINA, a full-length film starring top Hollywood talents Elijah Wood and Jennifer Love Hewitt, and the all-new, first full-length movie of the “Rolie Polie Olie” pre-school phenomenon, ROLIE POLIE OLIE: THE GREAT DEFENDER OF FUN. For action fans, the box-office smash hit THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO debuts on DVD and VHS, and get ready for the critically acclaimed contemporary comedies THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS and 40 DAYS AND 40 NIGHTS. The holidays are coming and BVHE’s ready with such titles as BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: THE ENCHANTED CHRISTMAS (first time on DVD), A VERY MERRY POOH YEAR and the hilarious THE SANTA CLAUSE SPECIAL EDITION.
Just caught this off the DIsney site. Odd that it says B & B: Enchanted Christmas is making its debut on DVD, since it was one of the first Dinsey DVDs released.
I'm especially looking forward to a Santa Clause Special Edition, hopefully anamorphic (the video/audio is otherwise fine). There are deleted scenes in the trailer that I hope they include, maybe a commentary, and a documentary. I'm sure there will be a ticket to Santa Clause 2 on the package as well.
RELEASE DATE: October 29, 2002.
:emoji_thumbsup:

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I'm especially looking forward to a Santa Clause Special Edition, hopefully anamorphic (the video/audio is otherwise fine). There are deleted scenes in the trailer that I hope they include, maybe a commentary, and a documentary. I'm sure there will be a ticket to Santa Clause 2 on the package as well.
Guess I'm a little cynical, but I'm betting big money this release will be "Full Frame Only".

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Guess I'm a little cynical, but I'm betting big money this release will be "Full Frame Only".
I seriously, seriously hope not. That'd certainly be a regression from the non-anamorphic disc out there, not a "Special Edition." I'm not "upgrading" if it's P & S, since that would be a downgrade.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps Enchanted is coming out at 1.66 for the first time on DVD?

Tom Thumb and Thumbelina direct to video? I thought they only do that with shoddy sequels.

Chris M

Second Unit
Can't wait for The Santa Clause, it better be anamorphic widescreen. DVDFile says it's release date is Sept. 24th though.
I have to watch that movie at least once a year at Christmas time. :)
Chris.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The specs on the press release are somewhat underwhelming, and no mention of ANAMORPHIC enhancement. They might just be re-using the old transfer. If they are, it certainly could be a lot worse, since the non-anamorphic transfer looks pretty good. Of course "Special Edition" should mean 16:9 transfer, but at least it is WIDESCREEN.

Here are the specs:

Disney’s THE SANTA CLAUSE SPECIAL EDITION DVD includes the features:

™ Exclusive Set Top Game “Fly Santa’s Sleigh”

™ DVD Rom screensaver advent calendar

™ DVD-Rom “Letter to Santa” with personalized replies

™ Elf training featurette

™ Holiday recipes

™ Exclusive The Santa Clause 2 Sneak Peek

™ Widescreen 1.85:1 aspect ratio

™ Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound

™ THX Certified

™ French language track

™ Spanish language track

Then again, the old disc wasn't THX-Certified, so maybe there will be a new 16:9-enhanced trailer. Basically, it seems that they're repackaging this solely to hype the sequel. The original release had a trailer, which isn't listed here. No deleted scenes (which we see in the trailer), no commentary, no documentary/featurette. Somewhat disappointing.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I really don't see anything "special" about those special edition specs, aside from being in widescreen. (was the previous release anamorphic?)

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The original disc was letterbox with just a trailer. This one looks to add 16:9 enhancement with some supplements. It might be worth the upgrade if BVHE does decide to give it a new transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.