Unruly Group Gratuity Assessment?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Van Patton, May 17, 2003.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I believe the minimum that servers are paid in the US is $2.17 an hour, which means more than likely they ALL make $2.17/hr [​IMG] They used to get minimum wage + tips but once the IRS figured out they were doing quite well, they instituted new policies. Now it is the $2 and change hourly and the restaurant tracks all their tips for the IRS.
    Be nice to your waiting staff, they're more under the screws than you would expect.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

just some random thoughts.
    my mom was a waitress her whole life (and my dad a cook) so i don't mind tipping at all.
    unless they're truly stellar i rarely go above the standard 15%. however, if they stand-out, then they get my attention and a much larger tip. i think i once did about 30% because the service was so awesome.
    automatic tips on large parties is okay with me...as long as i know about it. large paties are harder to handle and *do* require more work.
    btw - if tips stood for "to insure prompt service" ... wouldn't that mean you're supposed to pay the tip up front? [​IMG]
    [edit] btw - what that waitress pulled is just plain wrong. i hope, at the very least, that she was scolded. the mgmt did the right thing by refunding your entire meal - otherwise you probably could have sued them for much more.

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    we have an institutionalised "service charge" of 10% here, which was supposed to replace the concept of tips.
    personally I think it's dis-incentivised (is that a word? [​IMG] ) staff from trying harder, and we get a lot of indifferent staff in this country, e.g. I was at a friend's wedding dinner recently at a 5-star hotel, the dessert was a buffet (which is unusual) but there was no cutlery laid out at the buffet table, so I had to ask a waiter for some for my desserts. it never showed up, I got fed up waiting and wound up using my coffee spoon to eat my cake. but since it was a wedding dinner, there wouldn't have been any opportunity for us to show our displeasure since we weren't paying a bill at the end of the evening anyway.
    the flip side is that since 10% is already included, I very rarely tip -- I suppose partly because I very rarely encounter exceptional service here that warrants it.

6. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

7. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

8. Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid Stunt Coordinator

Michelle Schmid
    I've been a waitress off/on for several years. I actually love the job and make decent money at it. Most jerks I've had the "pleasure" of serving have apologized and left smiling, due to good service. I've had customers that would ask specifically for me, and would even wait for one of my tables to be available rather than have a different server. I rarely made under 20% for a total shift. However, all that being said, with pay at $2.13/hr (last time I waited tables), slow days w/few customers, and no insurance benefits makes it tough to live on, no matter how well you do percentage-wise. Just try affording basic health care or insurance w/o your employer kicking in the 2/3 they usually do!

9. Chris Hovanic

10. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I posted in the other tip thread, but I must say I have NEVER heard anyone bitch about pay so much as waiters. Do you know how many people out there make less than the average waiter after tip? Get over it or get a different job.

11. Chris Hovanic

Amen Brotha [​IMG]

12. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

13. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

I do understand the 15% added gratuity for large parties. I dont mind it, as I go as a group maybe once or twice a year. Last time, we went to Buca di Beppo w/ about 20 people, and had one server dedicated just to us, and others that helped. the service was so good, he got another 15% on top of the 15% gratuity on a $400 bill. As for pay, I know alot of waitstaff here, and even at 2.13/hr+tips, they still average over $10/hr, not counting the cash tips they "misreport" or "forget about". as for a manditory 10% on the bill, forget it. Ill never eat at your place. Also, if I leave a cash tip and pay with my card, I allways line out the tip amount on the credit card. A guy I worked with had a waiter add themselves a 50% tip because he forgot to line out the space. watch that, as Ive hard of waitstaff altering tip amounts on CC reciepts also.

14. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

15. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> watch that, as Ive hard of waitstaff altering tip amounts on CC reciepts also.

I usually leave a cash tip & just cross out the tip section on the CC receipt. That's hard to alter.

> Seems to me that I would be better off eating at a place that pays thier employees a fair wage and does not require tipping.

How is the customer supposed to know how the employees are paid?

Next time, I guess I'll ask, "Does your employer pay a fair wage, or do you expect a tip?"

> I'm sick of waiting three days for computer support to call back, let alone actually fixing the danged thing.

How much did you tip them?

16. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Time for a dumb question, maybe...
    Going back to the waiter that ended up with a party of twenty, I'd assume that was part of the seating area that she had to cover.
    If so, does each waiter have a section with an equal amount of seats? If her section covered 40 seats, would the other sections have that many?
    That would lead me to assume that one waiter would be able to cover, say 40 seats, with a supposedly 1 hour turnover, and thus be able to serve 40 guests per hour. [​IMG]
    If it isn't so, and the 20 seats are in a huge area, larger than the others, shouldn't management know and be able to provide for a second waiter for that section, or am I just all screwed up?
    Glenn

17. Mike Blais

Mike Blais Stunt Coordinator

18. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Oh jeez... ANOTHER tip thread? Is this really necessary?
    [​IMG]

19. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Thats okay. I've about had my fill of this topic for now. [​IMG]