What's new

UNIVERSAL: Ultimate Editions we really DO WANT! (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I would love UA's of The Sting (widescreen, finally), Scarface and Backdraft. What do you say, Universal?

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I'll give my vote for The Frighteners.
Also, The Mummy Returns. Or just re - release it with a DTS track.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Personally I would just like to see..
Vertigo
and
Psycho
..get 16:9 treatment as well as making Vertigo's DTS soundtrack available to the DVD community.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Just one title that I believe would be a great UA...Flash Gordon. C'mon Universal. You know you have a special place in your heart for this one. :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...and while youre at it, why not get in on the growing EVIL DEAD insanity eminating from over at ANCHOR BAY, and release your own ARMY OF DARKNESS UE?

First of all you, Universal, own the Extended Version shown on SciFi Channel-which, except for the endings, looks to be similar to the Directors cut;

Second, in all of my viewings, it looks like this version is free from degraded elements-at least it has always looked uniformly good to me, while the DC is made up of lesser-quality insertions of new material...and THAT is the key...

You also probably have access to extras and things that AB will never get their hands on..

To be ULTIMATE, though, I guess it would have to contain all 3 versions, via seamless branching for a change, not 2-3 seperate discs...but I would settle for 2-the original and the extended cut, if indeed the elements are of great uniform quality and are presented in 16:9...

How did you ever let AOD slip through your hands, anyway, while putting out many of the unneeded or irrelevant UEs that you have so far?

oh well, just a thought

Mark_TS, the ARMY OF DARKNESS 2 DVD set has both the original theatrical release and the full director's cut on it. The only reason for an UE of AoD is to completely clean up the D.C. so that the scenes put back in are as clear as the rest of the film. Other than that, the set has everything you would desire for the AoD:SE and I love it.

As for my U.E. film choices, here the list:

David Lynch's DUNE

* ALIENS (with all the supplemental material found on the laserdisc edition)

* Blazing Saddles (with all the Sheriff fighting Mongo scenes put in a deleted scenes menu, as well as all the smaller misssing dialog and character scenes cut from the DVD edition, but as seen on the video; a 'Making of' documentary; gag reels; etc.)

* The Back to the Future Trilogy

* The Breakfast Club

* Beetlejuice

* The Crow (with the full documentary material showing the missing director footage, as well as any and all Brandon Lee material left off the recent DVD release)

* The Star Wars Trilogy

* All of Hayao Miyazaki's films (Future Boy Conan TV series, Nausicaa, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso: Crimson Pig, Heisei Tanuki Wars Ponpoko)

* The Red Dwarf TV series (all the seasons 1-8 with both blooper tapes and whatever supplemental material that can be acquired. Three episodes per disc, not two)

* The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen: Criterion Edition (containing the FULL and unedited verions of the film as shown on the laserdisc with all the fantastic, supplemental material)

* The 6th Day (with everything that was put on the Region 2 disc that Region 1 is missing, plus anything extra)

* The Fifth Element (with the gag reel shown only to the European audiences during the credits, as well as a 'making of' documentary, the CINEFEX article and other extra goodies)

* Raider of the Lost Ark

Justin T

Agent
Fletch Lives, Judgment Night and Trespass.
Fletch Lives
*1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen
*Dolby 5.1 Surround
*Documentary
*Animated Menus
*Map of locations
*Trailer
*Deleted Scenes
Judgment Night
*2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen
*Dolby/DTS 5.1 surround
*Animated Menus
*Commentary by Stephen Hopkins
*Trailer
*Isolated Musical Score
Trespass
*1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen
*Dolby 5.1 surround
*Animated Menus
*Commentary by Walter Hill
*Trailer
*Documentary

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Two full pages before Psycho and Vertigo are mentioned!!!! Man, that's scary. Where's Al Brown when you need him? :)
It could even be a two pack se. As long as there are anamorphic transfers, I'd be happy. But I'd be overjoyed by the presence of music only tracks, such as the music track on the Psycho LD.
-Dave

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "The Paper", one of the greatest comedy-dramas ever made. Love to hear a Ron Howard commentary, see a retrospective documentary and some of the press conference footage when they were promoting this film. Please release this, Universal!

I also agree that The Frightners, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, Animal House, and Happy Gilmore.

BTW, I have seen "Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie" and someone mentioned that there was a alternate ending to the film. What happened in the alternate ending?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
PARENTHOOD (OAR)

THE STING (OAR)

AN AMERICAN TAIL 1 & 2 (OAR)

W.C. FIELDS, possibly part of the "Franchise" collection

For any release, SE or not, as long as OAR:

COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT

THIS ISLAND EARTH

INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN

CAT AND THE CANARY (Bob Hope. Public domain? We need a really good transfer from the original production company!)

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I would love to see Ultimate, or Special Editions of these movies, or just some extras.

-Waterworld ( I would either like an extended edtition with all of the extra footage, or I would like a deleted scenes section with this footage. Maybe a commentary and a few featurettes. )

Frighteners ( I would love to see the Director's cut that was on the very expensive LD, as well as the 4 hour documentary that was on it.)

Hard Target ( I would love to see the Director's cut finally availiable on dvd. I have seen it and it is really good, much better than the original version)

Far and Away ( This is another movie that needs a special edition. There was some extra tv footage that I would also love to see.)

I would love to see these re-released in 16:9 OAR

Lionheart

Death Becomes Her

Timecop

Sudden Death

The Shadow

Street Fighter

Kindergarten Cop

Twins

Happy Gilmore

The Paper

Problem Child

Problem Child 2

An American Tail

An American Tail 2 Feivel goes West

Benn

Stunt Coordinator
From Universal, I'd like to see a good SE version of

THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES ('46) and

RAGGEDY MAN (81)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks