Universal Players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Davies, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Michael Davies

Hey Guys

Im going to buy a universal player i auditioned the yamaha, but the Australian version doesnt have progressive scan[​IMG]

So im looking at the pioneers does anyone have any experiences, good / bad / indifferent ?

I know they didnt get the greatest reviews in the progressive scan shoot out. Are they that bad or is it a case of "on-paper" specs not being as good while to the eye the difference is much less ?

all advise needed

Cheers Michael

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Well, the Yamaha measured poorly for noise in S&V a little while back, so for right now, there isn't really a player that can do it all, ... well! [​IMG]

But with the DACs changed from the 47a to the 47ai, the 47ai is getting favorable reviews for audio now. Plus, if you read any print review of the Pioneer, they seem impressed enough with the video. Has the chroma bug, but less noticeable on this player than others that have it. Latest Perfect Vision has comparisons.

3. Michael Davies

Thanks kevin

Which one is the 47 we have different model no. here in Oz which is a pain in the ar$e. I dont know why they dont keep them the same...[​IMG]

4. Brian Sanger

Brian Sanger Extra

Whatever the Yamaha measured in its S&V review, through first-hand experience I can tell you I haven't noticed any noise issues at all.

The only thing better than the audio quality on the S2300 is the video quality. I've run through my DVD-Audio, SACDs and CDs since getting the S2300 and all sound outstanding. I just jumped into the SACD pool this week because of the S2300 and won't be getting out any time soon.

I'd tell you to give the Yamaha a try Michael, but without a progressive scan model in Australia (why exactly?) I guess it is a moot point.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, the Australian equivalent of our DV-47Ai is the DV-747Ai. I am surprised to hear that manufacturers still are not incorporating progressive-scan output into all of its players overseas. Have you looked into universal players from Onkyo, Integra (Onkyo's higher-end line), and Marantz? Perhaps those manufacturers offer progressive-scan players in Australia.

6. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Our model of the Yamaha is probably prog scan but only in NTSC not PAL [​IMG]

Our version of the 47ai is going to be the 757, I think.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, yeah, the overseas counterpart to the '47A was the '747A, but I think I did read once about the '757A as the counterpart to the '47Ai now that you mention it. Thanks.

8. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Pioneer's naming of DVD players is fubar [​IMG] Australia's naming seems different to Europe's (which is different to Nth America's...)

Almost all prog scan players are NTSC only. So far, the Philips 963SA and Arcam DV88+ are the only "brand" name prog scan PAL players released [​IMG]

9. Mark LP

Mark LP Agent

I second the look at Onkyo(DV-SP800)/Integra(DPS-8.3). They are both built on a base Pioneer chassis but with slightly different characteristics. The timing on the component outs seem to have been correctd versus being off in the pioneer's(according to the Shootout). there is some talk starting to circulate that higher end lines are going to start coming out with universal models as well.

Mark

10. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

So what craig is saying is that you cant get a universal PAL progressive player?

if that is the case then definitely get the Yamaha.

11. AlanWms

AlanWms Stunt Coordinator

Not to stir the pot, BUT I have been wanting to bring this up and this seems to be a very relevant thread.

When I visited my local high-end shop the other night I planned on pre-ordering the Denon 2900. The sales rep (someone I have dealt with for years) asked why the upgrade and I told him in large part it was to have a progressive DVD player in advance of the HDTV I will be purchasing. Much to my surprise, he said don't get to caught-up in the progressive hype because most every good HDTV's video sections (internal scalers?) will beat all but the very best progressive players on the market? Bottom line, he kinda talked me out of buying the 2900[​IMG] ???!!!

Any thoughts or comments on his statement would be appreciated. I am more befuddled than ever now!

Alan

P.S. If what the sales rep is true then Michael doesn't have to worry about the absence of progressive on the S2300.

12. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Alan I personally find little to no difference between progressive and non progressive on my 36HFX71 and i have used an RP-91 and the yamaha s2300

but on bigger sets ive been told progresive is a bigger difference

13. RexW

RexW Stunt Coordinator

Give the Onkyo DV-SP800 a look. It's universal with progressive scan in the Australian market.

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The Secret's Shootout is a good place to look for DVD player reviews:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...rch&articles=5

Video performance only, and in order of ranking. If they've done individual reviews elsewhere on the site, they also look at audio performance.

15. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    whoa, this is confusing, if the US 47Ai is the Australian 757A, what on earth is the Asian 755Ai?

I vaguely remember there was a consensus that the US 45A is the Asian 655A, the Asian 755Ai is twice the price of the 655A so now I'm wondering what's the equivalent? FWIW, both the 655A and 755Ai are universal progressive scan players, and I was contemplating which one to get to get into hi-res audio, seeing as the Yamaha S2300 does not seem available here.

16. AlanWms

Bump

Does anyone (John thanks for the response) have any real knowledge of whether using a progressive DVD player is a mute point with a good/high quality HDTV monitor.

If what my sales rep said the whole conversation of which player does or doesn't have progressive is irrelevant.

Alan

17. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig said:

19. AlanWms

Keith,

I'm in the same boat. Skeptical about the claim, but not enough knowledge (not inferring about your knowledge) to have a solid opinion. Still very curious why he would take money out of his own pocket if he didn't really believe what he was saying about the upcoming "IT" in universal DVD players, the 2900?

Back to research mode[​IMG] .

Alan

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I've heard something about this too. I guess bottom line, I'd want the line doubler in both places, that way I could judge and use the one that I think is better.

I think the largest issue is, whether the 3:2 pulldown is done correctly on "film" vs "video" sources. Actually, there's a lot of people in the "TV, display" section of HTF who would actually probably know the answer to this. [​IMG]