What's new

Universal Players (1 Viewer)

Hey Guys

Im going to buy a universal player i auditioned the yamaha, but the Australian version doesnt have progressive scan:angry:

So im looking at the pioneers does anyone have any experiences, good / bad / indifferent ?

I know they didnt get the greatest reviews in the progressive scan shoot out. Are they that bad or is it a case of "on-paper" specs not being as good while to the eye the difference is much less ?

all advise needed

Cheers Michael

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Yamaha measured poorly for noise in S&V a little while back, so for right now, there isn't really a player that can do it all, ... well! :)

But with the DACs changed from the 47a to the 47ai, the 47ai is getting favorable reviews for audio now. Plus, if you read any print review of the Pioneer, they seem impressed enough with the video. Has the chroma bug, but less noticeable on this player than others that have it. Latest Perfect Vision has comparisons.

Thanks kevin

Which one is the 47 we have different model no. here in Oz which is a pain in the ar$e. I dont know why they dont keep them the same...:thumbsdown:

Whatever the Yamaha measured in its S&V review, through first-hand experience I can tell you I haven't noticed any noise issues at all.

The only thing better than the audio quality on the S2300 is the video quality. I've run through my DVD-Audio, SACDs and CDs since getting the S2300 and all sound outstanding. I just jumped into the SACD pool this week because of the S2300 and won't be getting out any time soon.

I'd tell you to give the Yamaha a try Michael, but without a progressive scan model in Australia (why exactly?) I guess it is a moot point.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, the Australian equivalent of our DV-47Ai is the DV-747Ai. I am surprised to hear that manufacturers still are not incorporating progressive-scan output into all of its players overseas. Have you looked into universal players from Onkyo, Integra (Onkyo's higher-end line), and Marantz? Perhaps those manufacturers offer progressive-scan players in Australia.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Our model of the Yamaha is probably prog scan but only in NTSC not PAL :frowning:

Our version of the 47ai is going to be the 757, I think.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, yeah, the overseas counterpart to the '47A was the '747A, but I think I did read once about the '757A as the counterpart to the '47Ai now that you mention it. Thanks.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Pioneer's naming of DVD players is fubar :frowning: Australia's naming seems different to Europe's (which is different to Nth America's...)

Almost all prog scan players are NTSC only. So far, the Philips 963SA and Arcam DV88+ are the only "brand" name prog scan PAL players released :angry:

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
I second the look at Onkyo(DV-SP800)/Integra(DPS-8.3). They are both built on a base Pioneer chassis but with slightly different characteristics. The timing on the component outs seem to have been correctd versus being off in the pioneer's(according to the Shootout). there is some talk starting to circulate that higher end lines are going to start coming out with universal models as well.

Mark

John-Miles

Screenwriter
So what craig is saying is that you cant get a universal PAL progressive player?

if that is the case then definitely get the Yamaha.

AlanWms

Stunt Coordinator
Not to stir the pot, BUT I have been wanting to bring this up and this seems to be a very relevant thread.

When I visited my local high-end shop the other night I planned on pre-ordering the Denon 2900. The sales rep (someone I have dealt with for years) asked why the upgrade and I told him in large part it was to have a progressive DVD player in advance of the HDTV I will be purchasing. Much to my surprise, he said don't get to caught-up in the progressive hype because most every good HDTV's video sections (internal scalers?) will beat all but the very best progressive players on the market? Bottom line, he kinda talked me out of buying the 2900:confused: ???!!!

Any thoughts or comments on his statement would be appreciated. I am more befuddled than ever now!

Alan

P.S. If what the sales rep is true then Michael doesn't have to worry about the absence of progressive on the S2300.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Alan I personally find little to no difference between progressive and non progressive on my 36HFX71 and i have used an RP-91 and the yamaha s2300

but on bigger sets ive been told progresive is a bigger difference

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
Give the Onkyo DV-SP800 a look. It's universal with progressive scan in the Australian market.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
whoa, this is confusing, if the US 47Ai is the Australian 757A, what on earth is the Asian 755Ai?

I vaguely remember there was a consensus that the US 45A is the Asian 655A, the Asian 755Ai is twice the price of the 655A so now I'm wondering what's the equivalent? FWIW, both the 655A and 755Ai are universal progressive scan players, and I was contemplating which one to get to get into hi-res audio, seeing as the Yamaha S2300 does not seem available here.

AlanWms

Stunt Coordinator
Bump

Does anyone (John thanks for the response) have any real knowledge of whether using a progressive DVD player is a mute point with a good/high quality HDTV monitor.

If what my sales rep said the whole conversation of which player does or doesn't have progressive is irrelevant.

Alan

Mark All

Second Unit
If what my sales rep said the whole conversation of which player does or doesn't have progressive is irrelevant.
I have a Pioneer RPTV with a built-in line doubler. Its line doubler is good, but not as good as the progressive scan output from a new Panasonic or similar Faroudja-based model. So, while it may have been irrelevant last year or the year before, the new DVD players with improved deinterlacing and no chroma bug make quite a difference on a large display. On a 32 inch tv or smaller, I doubt it matters though.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig said:

When I visited my local high-end shop the other night I planned on pre-ordering the Denon 2900. The sales rep (someone I have dealt with for years) asked why the upgrade and I told him in large part it was to have a progressive DVD player in advance of the HDTV I will be purchasing. Much to my surprise, he said don't get to caught-up in the progressive hype because most every good HDTV's video sections (internal scalers?) will beat all but the very best progressive players on the market?
A salesman at a local dealer told me the same thing last year when they got the Integra DPS-7.2 DVD-Audio player. It was an $800 interlaced player. When I expressed disbelief that Integra would not include progressive-scan capability at the price point, the salesman told me it was because Integra knew progressive-scan output wasn't needed because high-quality displays have better comb filters than DVD players. I have limited experience with progressive scan, but I am skeptical about this. Why not just include progressive-scan output and allow the user to decide which comb filter is better?

Now that Integra has released the DPS-8.3 progressive-scan universal player, I wonder what the salesman at my local shop has to say. :rolleyes

AlanWms

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

I'm in the same boat. Skeptical about the claim, but not enough knowledge (not inferring about your knowledge) to have a solid opinion. Still very curious why he would take money out of his own pocket if he didn't really believe what he was saying about the upcoming "IT" in universal DVD players, the 2900?

Back to research mode:) .

Alan

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I've heard something about this too. I guess bottom line, I'd want the line doubler in both places, that way I could judge and use the one that I think is better.

I think the largest issue is, whether the 3:2 pulldown is done correctly on "film" vs "video" sources. Actually, there's a lot of people in the "TV, display" section of HTF who would actually probably know the answer to this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks