What's new

Blu-ray Review Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection Blu-ray Review - Recommended (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
ooOOOOoooo I didn't know that! I was wondering... man, I'll wishlist Shape right away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shape_of_Water

"The idea for The Shape of Water formed during del Toro's breakfast with Daniel Kraus in 2011, with whom he later co-wrote the novel Trollhunters.[17] It shows similarities to the 2015 short film The Space Between Us,[18] and also to Rachel Ingalls' novel Mrs. Caliban. It was also primarily inspired by del Toro's childhood memories of seeing Creature from the Black Lagoon and wanting to see the Gill-man and Kay Lawrence (played by Julie Adams) succeed in their romance.[19]When del Toro was in talks with Universal to direct a remake of Creature from the Black Lagoon, he tried pitching a version focused more on the creature's perspective, where the Creature ended up together with the female lead, but the studio executives rejected the concept.[20]"

Last edited:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There have been numerous films where a character falls in love with the "monster".

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I have little doubt that the CREATURE and INVISIBLE sets are coming. The one constant for Universal is that they always release the classic monster stuff...no matter what! I think they have always been aware of the loyal fanbase for those films. They also have a penchant for complete box sets, so I wouldn't rule that out either!

The only thing I can fault them for of late is in not restoring WEREWOLF OF LONDON....and that's a minor quibble because I'm happy just to have it in HD.

I think what's REALLY up in the air is whether or not we'll see Karloff and Lugosi sets or any of the "minor" Universal horrors on blu.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It was also primarily inspired by del Toro's childhood memories of seeing Creature from the Black Lagoon and wanting to see the Gill-man and Kay Lawrence (played by Julie Adams) succeed in their romance.
I hope del Toro was misquoted or misstated what he meant. The Gill-man and Kay did not have a budding romance. Yeah, he had eyes for her, but Key wanted nothing to do with him. I hope del Toro meant he wanted his beauty and beast to be attracted to each other.

TomTom

Stunt Coordinator
hey I just noticed my 2012 purchase of this 8 film set now has a glue buildup on each disc edge due to the "great" packaging. So it's even harder to pull out the discs. Any recommendation for getting the glue of the discs??

I see it in each sleeve of the accordion book. All along the bottom so my guess is that gravity and it being upright on a shelf contributed .

Attachments

• IMG_2460_2.jpg
    IMG_2460_2.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 26

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
hey I just noticed my 2012 purchase of this 8 film set now has a glue buildup on each disc edge due to the "great" packaging. So it's even harder to pull out the discs. Any recommendation for getting the glue of the discs??

I see it in each sleeve of the accordion book. All along the bottom so my guess is that gravity and it being upright on a shelf contributed .
Mine started doing that a year after I purchased.
Too much glue on a couple of those discs.

I then purchased the Region Free UK set which did not have those glue riddled sleeves.

Since then I always replace such packaging immediately and place discs in better cases.

TomTom

Stunt Coordinator
thank you all for your tips--I used isopropyl alcohol, qtips and elbow grease--got most of it. Discs work in the player.
My later 4k purchases, I have removed them from those "monster traps" and residing in clear sleeves inside the accordion. The 4k cardboard trap showed no signs but I will check back in 10 years and be happy I caught it.
Long live physical media despite Universals booby traps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks