What's new

Ultra AVX versus IMAX (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's about the same as what AMC is calling in some of their theaters ETX, and what Regal calls RPX. Basically it's just a higher end digital projector than used on their standard screens, with a slightly better sound setup. The screen size is usually slightly larger than regular screen, but nothing that would blow your mind.

Basically, you've got the original film IMAX theaters which are the best. Then you've got the digital IMAX theaters that have been installed in some multiplexes which, while not having as giant a screen, do offer better digital projection than standard digital projection, and then I'd put AVX/ETX/RPX right below that. Digital IMAX gets at least a slight edge over it because the IMAX corporation has done some digital remastering on the film to take advantage of those projectors and the larger scale, whereas AVX/ETX/RPX uses the same standard digital movie file that would show on another screen. I find that AVX/ETX/RPX is basically the theater's way of saying "this is our best screen in the multiplex" and using that to justify charging a couple extra bucks.

That said, since digital projection can be a little spotty at times depending on the theater and configuration, I will say that I've never had a bad experience at AVX/ETX/RPX the way I have at some regular digital showings. It's not quite as good as digital IMAX, and doesn't hold a candle to traditional IMAX. It's worth trying at least once, in my opinion, if it's offered at a theater you normally go to - I wouldn't drive miles out of my way to get to one because I feel that would be a letdown, but if it was at someplace I was already headed to I'd take that as the best (standard) option for a non-IMAX film.

Hope this helps!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The local theater here calls their version the "T-Rex" for Theater Real EXtreme.

http://www.t-rextheatre.com/about.php

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I just watched X-Men First Class in Ultra AVX and I was very impressed with the digital presentation on a very large screen. I would say it's just about the same width as IMAX but not as tall. But IMAX was originally meant for 4x3 anyway and I really like how more wide the Ultra AVX screen feels. Seating is really comfortable. Leather and reclining. Made me feel at home. :) Also the sound was really good. Bass really rumbled. As for the digital representation, it was really crystal clear and high def. Overall, I really liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks