What's new

Two Towers Possible Release Date (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'll probably rent the first and buy the 2nd. Unless, like LOTR, Blockbuster runs their $20 coupon for 10 rentals and get TTT free. I'll jump on that.
Ditto. I would not own the theatrical one if it hadn't been for that deal. To me that deal is a steal. I get 10 rentals for less than the full rate, and I get a free DVD besides. Since I'd use the 10 rentals anyway, why not.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It would bring me great joy to watch Fellowship EE and Two Towers EE on some Saturday night in the (relatively) near future.

I too plan to buy both editions. I'll get the standard edition, and the extended with whatever hoo-hah they include in the super-deluxe box.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yep I'll buy both - I would end renting the theatrical cut 3 or 4 times anyhow so might as well pony up at the beginning!

Lee_eel

Second Unit
I am a little wary of how the picture transfer will turn out considering the amount of dark scenes in the movie.
I was less than impressed with the EE of Fellowship transfer wise (although i must be the only person)

Brenton

Screenwriter
As for me, it would not be worth my money to buy both. Because once I buy the extended edition, the theatrical edition will get shelved for life. I'm sorry, but I have no interest in "preserving the experience" that I had in theaters. As far as I'm concerned, the EE is the superior cut (well, it was with Fellowship... I'm assuming it will be with The Two Towers, too). And the "unique" extras on the theatrical cut don't make me want it... after renting FOTR's theatrical cut, I realized that the extras hardly interested me at all.

The only benefit that I would get from the theatrical cut would be being able to watch it sooner, but once the extended edition comes out, it would suddenly be rendered a waste of money.

So I'll just be renting TTT's theatrical cut like I did with FOTR.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Perhaps I posted too soon, I've just seen this
Presumably the tumour is a rumour! :)
I hope this is not true, see my earlier post in this thread for my opinion on the importance of having the original theatrical cut on DVD.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I may be wrong, but I understood that the Academy Award ceremony was being moved up by a month, to February which moved up nominations, voting, etc., and this has caused a number of productions to be moved up. IIRC the article said that the Lord of the Rings crew was scrambling to get The Return of the King out earlier because of this. If so, maybe the release dates of the two editions would be moved up also.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
This is a untrue rumour. The previous reports of a summer release (June) for the theatrical version are correct so no need to panic!

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
According to IGN DVD, we may also get Sean Astin's shrot ifle The Long and Short of It on the DVD as well. I saw it a month or so ago when Sean Astin came to A&M for a tribute and screening of the film, it's pretty funny and has a cameo by everyone's favorite director as well. Good stuff.

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Lee_eel, care to comment on from where you have so firm confirmation that 1) it IS being released 2) it is being released in June (I had dismissed this as a rumour as well, if it's true it would be very cool).

Re: that Sean Astin short... Sean Astin confirmed it would be on there (the theatrical release) himself at the Two Towers One Party Oscar party.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Ah, I must have misssed that. To tell the truth, I'm surprised, I figured it would be an easter egg on the EE DVD, like the MTV Council of Elrond spoof on Fellowhsip (the thought of it not being on there at all never corssed my mind :) ).

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Another reason to get both: to support and reward the efforts of the people who created these marvellous movies.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I would put my bets on August 26th for the regular 2 disc edition. Seems to be a lot of different rumours pointing to this date.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
As far as the transfer...I've got a copy of the Academy screener and it's terrific. Picture, even in the dark scenes is solid. Great contrast. Didn't notice any grain..just a very solid well done transfer. And, as you can imagine, the audio rocks!!!!

Ron

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I would end up renting the theatrical one at least twice before the EE came out anyway, and I appreciate the extra features. Big fantasy/sci-fi reader, big LOTR fan. Plus, that way I can loan the DVD to those few deprived/depraved souls who haven't watched it.
Of course, I loaned it out, and can't remember who....

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'll buy both, and keep both, I just have to have the theatrical version, even if I no longer watch it after I buy the EE, it's a valuable record of the film as it was first seen on the big screen, true LOTR completists would want to have all versions wouldn't they? By Nov 2004 I'll prob have a shelf just for the LOTR dvd's, wonder if there will be any room for Ralph Bakshi's animated version on that shelf.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks