What's new
World Wide Stereo

Tweeter replacement cost? (Paradigm Monitor) (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My monitor 7 v2 tweeter got damaged during a recent move. I took it apart and the very thin wires to the voice coil are broken and the coil itself fell off the dome. i don't have the tools to deal with such tiny wires.

The one local paradigm dealer closes on monday, and I bought my speakers 4 years ago in another state anyway, so I am assuming there will be no freebies.

Does anyone know how much a replacement tweeter is gonna cost me?

--
H

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Goto Paradigm's website and do a Dealer check. Also I would contact Paradigm and see if they have a repair center in your area. The speakers carry a 5yr warranty and you never know.

Kevin

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I bought some drivers for my 100v2s, they retailed for $130 each Cdn, and was able to get them discounted down to 85-95 each.
Best wishes

Gregg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tweeters for the Monitor line ran about $65 or $75 I believe, though they may be cheaper now because the v4s are out. I had the same thing happen to one of my Minis during a move also - the magnet is a bit too heavy for the plastic waveguide (Studios are cast aluminum). The dealer is probably the easiest way to order it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well tell ya what I did. I removed the dome and voice coil assembly from my center speaker, and put it into the tweeter of the defective main. Superglued some broken plastic bits together... worked like a charm :)

Of course now I am centerless, but I can live with that till I get around ordering the dang thing. Better than being mainless. I HAD to listen to music yesterday, just couldn't wait.

Thanks folks.

--
H

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the process of changing a couple of Paradigm Monitor 7s right away. I bought the original replacement for 80.00 CDN but when I got to the son in laws house both tweeters were blown. The place I got the original from has a replacement (not Paradigm) I am putting them in tonight and they were half the price of the originals. I will let you know how it works out. The person I talked to builds a lot of speakers and he says this replacement tweeter is better than the original.

Look hear tomorrow if you want to know how they sound

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't see how it could be better, since Paradigm designs and builds their own drivers and tailors the x-over to them. Better tweeters are easy to find, that doesn't mean they will work ideally with Paradigm's x-over.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to tell you this but Paradigm did not design or build the tweeters in the Monitor 7 speakers. They were built by a danish company. I can't remember the name right now but it started with a V. These replacement ones are the same maker.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just because they outsource or second source the components does not mean they don't own the design. If they have outsourced them, which would not surprise me, these are still done to Paradigm's specs. Second source is normal also, especially for a company the size of Paradigm, and when a particular speaker version/model is discontinued, the tweeters need to still remain in inventory for something like 7-10 years from a second source manufacturer for situations like this.

I know they outsourced the cabinet manufacturing, so I would suppose the drivers would not be out of the question either. I did also notice that I don't see their comment about building all their own drivers any longer, there is only a blurb about quality control. The v3 tweeters were a lot more complex than I had seen previously from Paradigm as well.

Vifa tweeters are used in MANY speakers, but I doubt you will see these particular waveguides in any other manufacturer's speaker.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Vifa is the name. The Paradigm Monitor 7 has a Vifa tweeter and that exact tweeter is used for a lot of other manufacturers speakers.

The ones I got from the parts people were not the best or easiest fit. I had to modify them to work in the Monitor 7 trim plate. I would not reccommend using the aftermarket ones. The originals cost a more but they fit perfect.

The other ones do sound about the same and seem to be OK.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
All Paradigm drivers are designed in Canada at the Paradigm Advanced Research Center and ALL Paradigm drivers are made in Toronto. None of the drivers in the Monitor line are made or designed by Vifa. The Monitor V2 tweeters are about $70 CDN to replace, but you can also buy the diaphragm seperately for about $30 CDN.

Email Paradigm tech support to find a local parts dealer.

If you dont believe me, ask Paradigm yourself. I did.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
So we have some different stories about the speakers one from Paradigm and one different story from a Paradigm repair centre. Doesn't really matter to me where they are made. I don't intend to argue about this point I was just trying to help someone with a question on the board.

I wonder if Paradigm claims they always made their own drivers or just since a certain year.

Well anyway no sense changing this post to a discussion unrelated to the original post (question).

Thanks all.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Holadem,

The tweet in my center channel blew and it was 4 years old.
I called the dealer and they got one sent in like two weeks no charge.
Call your dealer even if he's in another state, verify that it's in warranty and have them get the tweeter for FREE.
See if they can just have Paradigm send it directly to you.
There is no reason if you are in warranty that you should have to buy something else and modify the cabinet, glue this and that and all that crap.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
If you read the original post. The speaker was damaged in a move. I don't think Holadem was looking for a free replacement but he probably won't mind if he gets one for free. I don't think Paradigm would be into that just the same.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It often depends on the dealer. A friend blew a tweeter (his fault) on a Stuido 20 that was about 2yrs out of warranty and they replaced it for free. It's worth checking into.

It doesn't sound like the diaphragm is damaged, it's the plastic flange/waveguide. The tweeter itself was OK on mine, but it was the flange that literally just cracked off starting at one of the screw attachment points.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
If it's in warranty and all you'd need is a tweeter, they don't care. They are not gonna ask how it happened and you don't have to send the old one back.
The tweeter assembly comes with the voice coil attached to the dome (by the little wires that he said are broken) and the little plate the dome sits in.
Now if the wave guide or something like that is broken then no, that wouldn't probably be covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks