What's new

tv's vs projector (1 Viewer)

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I have always thought Projectors to be the way to go. But as i'm starting to see these 90" Led tvs coming out If given the option to go large scale LED or projector,
are the tv options catching up esp concidering black levels and sharpness? We want to change from 3:4 to 16:9 someday soon and wondering if the newer projectors are still the way to go?
(My setup = 10' viewing distance = 90" screen 16:9 THX standard. 90% light controlled room)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
There's no one right answer to the question of "What display type is the best?" There are far too many other factors that come into play.

Projectors still struggle in moderately to well-lit environments. Large panel displays still have issues with off-axis viewing. Black levels of both projectors and LED displays still fall short of plasma displays.

Dollar for dollar, the price point of front projection cannot be (and probably won't ever be) beat, but the requirements in room geometry and potential challenges in ceiling mounting/wiring are a key consideration.

I sit about 11 feet away from my 96" screen, but should I ever move, I can adjust the size of my projected image to fit the room. No other display type can do that.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Almost every single projector theater I have input on is a "two display theater"...
The one single lagging problem(to me) with projectors is bulb life. That will NEVER be overcome. If you are watching the 10 o'clock news(where I am) do you really need 100 inches of glory?
Get a decent size alternate display(Zenith 60" plasma at Sears...they were selling them...and still periodically do, for $600) for when you don't "need" the whole shebang. I don't care how "hot" the local weather girl is...she doesn't need a 100" screen(well maybe she does???).
But price per size...
Mitsubishi DLP reigns supreme.
Plasma is 2nd, up to a point.
Projector(I still favor DLP projection over LCD) is 2nd where there is no "plasma option".
Very far down the list is LCD.
If you got a fat enough wallet, there is always AMOLED/OLED. I'm sure if you imported one from Japan, you could figure out how to make it work here.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Elfmaze said:
I have always thought Projectors to be the way to go. But as i'm starting to see these 90" Led tvs coming out If given the option to go large scale LED or projector,
are the tv options catching up esp concidering black levels and sharpness? We want to change from 3:4 to 16:9 someday soon and wondering if the newer projectors are still the way to go?
(My setup = 10' viewing distance = 90" screen 16:9 THX standard. 90% light controlled room)
Have you seen the prices of those 90" LED TV's? If you can afford, go for it. When a 90", 1080p LED TV is $1,300 or less let me know. Until then I will be loving my 1080p projector.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Kevin Collins /t/322534/tvs-vs-projector#post_3953557

On all of these options, it is important to know how good the displays can be calibrated to produce an accurate picture.

This is a very important point. Nothing is at its best right out of the box. To get the best from any display, you have to take the time to properly set it up according to your environment and viewing conditions. Judging any display solely based on how it looks at a store is not the right way to go about it.

For front projection, www.projectorcentral.com and www.projectorreviews.com are the "go to" sites for in-depth reviews of properly set up and calibrated projection systems. For any display, I find it absolutely imperative that the user have easy access to disable ALL artificial image processing "features" as they are almost universally detrimental to providing an accurate image.

Before you decide on any display, download the user manual from the manufacturer's website and give it a good look to see what the setup options are to be absolutely certain the display does what you want it to do.

Good luck.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Currently we use a NEC LT150 we got in the earlier 2000's. I guess for the screen size, esp above 70", the projector is still reigning king. But my current screen is a 77" 4:3. And we noted that there are plasmas and led tvs getting up in this range. After adding a new screen and replacement PJ there is some cash equivalency to work with .
I guess I was asking, how to convince my significant other that the front projection setup is still the way to go for the theater feel. She has been pointing me at some 65-70" tv's in the 1-2000 dollar range and asking why I don't give up on front projection and get a TV like everyone else.
I haven't really seen any modern theater projectors in use, and the one at Best Buy is shooting on a $4000 black screen so its hard to say what it would look like on a matte or silvered setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks