What's new

TV Shows that are unavailable to DVD due to music clearance BS (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
well, the holy grail just fell. this says loads about other shows with music rights issues.

with this show, the video owners and 90% of the music owners are gonna make some profit.

while a very small minority will be left making nothing.

the show itself would be a big seller even without the music to tons of people who have never seen it, and those in the future.

the music did not make this show. the content of the show made the show.

kevin and winnie were normal typical kids in normal typical surroundings. just like billions before them and billions after them. it was a goldmine show, full of the human equation.

but it is nice to preserve the tv show as it actually was, as much as possible.

for those who have seen it, and for an accurate history.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
DisneySwan1990 said:
If those companies had the balls to pay up those music licencing fees and royalties, such as what StarVista had recently did for the China Beach sets, then I would be happy as hell for Cold Case, WKRP, Wonder Years, Clueless: The Series, Murphy Brown, Crossing Jordan, Malcolm in the Middle, The Bernie Mac Show, Ed, and New York Undercover to be finally released to DVD in its original aired versions without any cuts! But unfortanetly, that dream is never gonna happen, because the songs featured in said programs are cost prohibitive, and that's why none of these programs will never ever see the light of DVD's day.So which shows are unavailable to DVD due to the hefty costs of clearing the copyrighted pop songs, other than the ones I mentioned above, and you seriously want on DVD, ASAP?
From my understanding, the problem with New York Undercover is the musical acts at the end of the show. In that case, why don't they release the show, but cut out the musical act? In Living Color did that and we got all 5 seasons. I used to watch New York Undercover every Thursday night, and since I hate hip hop, I always changed the channel at the end of the episode when the musical acts came on :D

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Cold Case is never happening. The show was almost a musical show that happened to have a crime drama in it. Massive amounts of music. A clearance nightmare. It's a damn shame too. I'd love to have it. IMO it was far superior to the other glut of hit crime dramas from that time (CSI, Criminal Minds, Without A Trace, and any various and sundry versions of Law and Order).

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Frank Soyke said:
Cold Case is never happening. The show was almost a musical show that happened to have a crime drama in it. Massive amounts of music. A clearance nightmare. It's a damn shame too. I'd love to have it. IMO it was far superior to the other glut of hit crime dramas from that time (CSI, Criminal Minds, Without A Trace, and any various and sundry versions of Law and Order).
i'm hoping StarVista can release this, Ed, and WKRP to DVD in the near future, because if they were able to get Wonder Years and China Beach out of the coffin, I bet that they can get these shows out of the coffin as well.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Duane Alford said:
From my understanding, the problem with New York Undercover is the musical acts at the end of the show. In that case, why don't they release the show, but cut out the musical act? In Living Color did that and we got all 5 seasons. I used to watch New York Undercover every Thursday night, and since I hate hip hop, I always changed the channel at the end of the episode when the musical acts came on :D
And that's going to cause a lot of backlash and refunds of all the 90s hip-hop fans of the show if Universal Home Video cuts out the acts seen on the end of the program. I really loved this show when I was a toddler, and I hope StarVista releases this show to DVD in the near future, unedited.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Fox released all 5 seasons of In Living Color with the "musical acts" cut out. I didn't hear any complaints or backlash or anyone demanding refunds.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Fox released all 5 seasons of In Living Color with the "musical acts" cut out. I didn't hear any complaints or backlash or anyone demanding refunds.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Since the other thread was getting off topic I thought i would resurect this one to make a point.
jimmyjet said:
i have said it many times and will say it again - wonder years will be out someday, UNCUT.
To which my reply was:
smithbrad said:
I agree that Wonder Years will be out some day, but I can't agree on the UNCUT part. Take China Beach as a perfect example, even Time Life couldn't pull this off with a higher price tag to the release. They tried and it comes pretty close, but there are music replacements and cuts that they couldn't work out. Both shows have an abundance of music to clear and there are just going to be some hold-outs that won't budge on lowering their costs..
So who again was 100% correct? :)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Hey, the fact that a cut version is coming out this year doesn't mean that an uncut version won't be released some day.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
for gosh sakes, talk about nitpicking !!

wonder years is being released as a HIGH QUALITY release.

they went back to the original film, put all sorts of effort in it, and got all but a few stragglers

if that is someone's idea of a slam dunk, i would not want to go on the basketball court with it !!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
jimmyjet said:
for gosh sakes, talk about nitpicking !!

wonder years is being released as a HIGH QUALITY release.

they went back to the original film, put all sorts of effort in it, and got all but a few stragglers

if that is someone's idea of a slam dunk, i would not want to go on the basketball court with it !!
You claimed victory and called many out (myself included) for being incorrect in the other thread, to then modify it to "you guys were HIGHLY incorrect. is that better ?"

I don't think a little clarification on what was actually stated previously is consdiered nitpicking. Actually, whose statement from back then was the more correct about the upcoming release, yours or mine? To follow up using basketaball terminology, I would say you just got called for intentional "flopping". :)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
LOL - well, one thing is for sure - i am being forced to dribble all by myself !!

i havent found anyone to pass the ball to !!

but when i still score my 2 points, you will hear about it !!!!!

while we all have our serious thoughts, it is good that none of us are taking it too seriously.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Dan Raven (NBC 1960-61) starring Skip Homeier as a L.A. County Sheriff's investigator was a song-heavy show which had big-name guest stars like Paul Anka, Gogi Grant, Bobby Darin, etc., lasted only 13 episodes and produced by Screen Gems (Sony). I 've seen an episode with Anka singing a swinging version of a Hank Williams song, and you know what? You'll never see that show because of clearance issues involving such songs.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'm just being incredibly naive, but so much of this thread just seems to revolve around "greed".

We're talking about things people did years, even decades ago and now are demanding outrageous fees for their music to be used.Seems like it might be better to take the cash up front and maybe some follow-up royalties, rather than bicker over things and walk away with nothing.
Feel free to comment, but also please educate me in the process.
Thanks.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Isn't this the the bull that's holding back official releases of 77 SUNSET STRIP, SURFSIDE 6 and HAWAIIAN EYE?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ed Lachmann said:
Isn't this the the bull that's holding back official releases of 77 SUNSET STRIP, SURFSIDE 6 and HAWAIIAN EYE?
The short answer is "Yes." But hopefully WB will get the music cleared at some point down the line and we'll see releases of these shows.

Gary "at this point in the hobby I'd have to put 'music issues' at the top of the list for things I despise" O. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks