What's new

TV on DVD/Blu Ray @ Big Lots: Anyone Confirm? (1 Viewer)

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I forgot to go by Kroger in my area or the Dollar Tree. Will try them this wek. I was enjoying the company of my girlfriend and did not have the time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I stopped at the local Dollar Tree and found nothing except the usual public domain stuff.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
If anyone happens to stumble over

a) 1x Season 1 and 2x Season 7 of Tales From The Crypt
b) 1x Flintstones #5
c) 1x Seasons 2,3,4 of Lois & Clark

Please grab and drop me a note, I have paypal and not afraid to use it.

(I need a few Anime titles also, but let's not confuse things)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Stopped at my local Big Lots Store today, all the "Hot" DVDs (You know which ones I'm talking about!)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I don't understand the Big Lots / WB Fiasco? Can someone explain this to me?

My feeling is that BIG LOTS had to pay for the merchandise to sell it so whatever they wished to sell it at who cares. WB's got their end.

am I missing something?

Please fill me in with some facts.

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
Bit Lots isn't the culprit and I don't think they're part of the suit. WB paid a company to destroy excess and/or damaged inventory. The company subcontracted to another outfit, who then dumped the DVD's on the market and pocketed the proceeds. That subcontractor is who WB is suing for damages I believe:

http://www.thresq.com/2009/07/warner-bros-dvd-theft-lawsuit.html

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
That's what I have been thinking Jack. From what I have been reading Warner Brothers paid a Company to dispose of some excess DVD Box Sets in their inventory. They presumed the Box Sets were going to be Destroyed, and the Disks and packaging were going to be recycled. Instead the sets were sold to Discount Stores such as Big Lots and some others, which then sold them CHEAP. (Big Lots had them going for $3.00 or $6.00). Warners Brothers has filed suit against the company involved in this. I have a feeling this is going to be a LONG Court Battle. I would not be surprised if the Defendants say something to the tune of "Once the Studio sold us the DVDs we were now the owners of them, and we had whatever right we had to do with them." or "You told us to dispose of them, you DID NOT SPECIFY HOW we were to dispose of them.", that kind of thing. All I know is this is the Funniest News Story I have heard in a long time!

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
Another reason WB is upset is because their partners are upset. Best Buy or Walmart or whoever can't move these boxsets taking up shelf space for $20-$60 if you can just go down to Big Lots, fish through a bin, and get it for $3-$6.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Fat lady still absent from my Big Lots. I hope she has larangitis!!

For myself:
Jacques Cousteau River Explorations. $3. There's another that I'll (hopefully) get for family next time I'm in there.
Agatha Christie Collection with Helen Hayes. Got this for mom. There's another that I might grab for myself next time.

Available at the store for trading:
a bunch of opened Season 2 Flintstones.
Still 2 Wacky Races.
2 Mission Hill complete series

Btw, watched the first 2 Tales from the Crypt yesterday. Seriously, the first 6 minutes of the first episode was worth what I paid for the entire stack of TftC I was able to pick up. I loved the hell out that! Forgotten how strong in black comedy it was. I think I like the original "And all through the house" from the Amicus film. But the remake was hilarious. The original was more scary. Both had first rate "Santas".

I'd gladly trade what I have of Tales from the Crypt for Seasons 6 and/or 7 or any volume but Vol 1 of Looney Tunes.

Tales from the Crypt to Trade:
S1. 2 of these.
S2. 1 of these.
S3. 1 of these
S5. 2 of these.

Ron_B

Grip
Nothing new at mine today. I did pick up a Popeye 1933-1938 (also still have Batman TAS Season Four and a sealed Flintstones Season 2) for trading. I'm still looking for Scooby Doo/Dynomutt and Scooby Doo Where Are You S3 as well as any Looney Tunes minus V1.

Thanks.
Ron

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
My 2 cents. IMO, the reason WB can't sell their excess inventroy cheaply and has to destroy it is because they still would have to pay a certain amount of royalties to the actors/producers/writers etc of the shows. The would have to pay a certain amount per each dvd sold. If they are only getting a few $$ for each one, they may end up owing more in royalties that they are getting for the dvd's.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm not disputing that, Tony. But, there may be more to it than that. From the way I understand it, the studio doesn't pay out royalties of a DVD release until that particular copy has been "sold" to a distributor/retailer.

The major source of contention is that Warners reported those DVD's as being destroyed, meaning that they reported that loss to the IRS and wrote it off as a business loss. The second thing is that the destruction of this inventory was reported with their SEC Filings (Security and Exchange Commission) which has a direct impact on their profits (+/- %) and this affects Warner Brothers stock market price on the NYSE.

Since the DVD's weren't destroyed, the whole process of the IRS, Warner Brothers and the SEC are now going to be in the process of investigating this entire mess and it's not going to be pretty. There's damage control here and a lot of people are going to get hit.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
For those hoping to get a opportunity to get some great deals like BigLots has had at Dollar General and Rite Aid stores, I'd suggest saving your time.

None of the Dollar Generals I've checked carried any of the DVD's mentioned in this thread, and when asked, never did.

I've found a handful of DVD's at Rite Aids, and they're all going in the range of $15 or so for things like Flintstones season sets. Not much less than the general retail price of them these days and a far cry from the deals BigLots has had.

Edit - No wonder, it was Dollar Tree stores mentioned, not Dollar General. Well that was a waste of time...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Regulus
I've thought from the start that there must be some fuzzy language in the contract for the subcontracting company to have done this. Why risk your entire company if you didn't think you would be able to get away with it? I assume they asked their attorney to review their contract before they made the decision to sell the stock to the retailers. Presumably their attorney advised them they were in the clear, at least based on the language of the contract.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm, considering the fact that it involves such a large volume of product, approximately $40+ Million worth of merchandise, I seriously doubt that Warner Brothers would have left holes in the contract that they had IWMB sign. IWMB signed the contract with Warner Brothers to destroy those one million DVD sets from Warner Brothers.

IWMB then, made the decision to sub-contract that work out to a new company, which then decided to sell that stock to other entities. IWMB would be liable since they signed the contract with Warner Brothers, and technically, is responsible for the theft of that merchandise. The original contract, between Warners and IWMB would likely hold IWMB liable for that merchandise. IWMB would then have to go after that company they sub-contracted that work out to.

It has nothing to do with what their attorney has to say about it.

1. IWMB signed the contract with Warner Brothers
2. IWMB then receives said merchandise to have it destroyed
3. IWMB then contracts that work out a another company for destruction

The problem here is that Warner Brothers may be suing the wrong company and that when this goes to court that the defendant named in the suit, that second company, may very well end up trying to dismiss the lawsuit or attempt to drag IWMB into the lawsuit because they signed the original contract with Warner Brothers. If I was the head of that second company, I would motion for IWMB to be named as co-defendent in the case since both companies are liable.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I hear you, Malcolm. Until Warner's appears in court and details start getting released, nobody will know for sure.

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
today i got
theflistones season one
War at home season one
a pup named scooby doo vloume one and vloume two
bOTH WERE JUST 3 BUCKS SCOOBY DOO 6 FOR BOTH CARTOONS.

James Sajdak

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has picked up an extra of the following sets:

Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
Space Ghost and Dino Boy
Josie and the Pussycats
Scooby Doo Where are You: Seasons 1 and 2
Scooby Doo Where are You: Season 3
The New Scooby Doo Movies

I don't have anything to trade but would be willing to paypal some money your way.

Thanks,
James Sajdak

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks