What's new

Turner's TREASURE ISLAND (1990) NOW ON DVD! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Warner Bros. has released this wonderful t.v. movie at last! Charlton Heston is delightful as Long John Silver, and the cast includes Christian Bale (as Jim Hawkins), Oliver Reed, and Christopher Lee. I consider this version to be the equal of Disney's in 1950. It runs over a half-hour longer, allowing for well-rounded characters and atmosphere. It is much more adult-oriented than Disney's take, and closer to the sensibility and plot of the Stevenson novel. Color fidelity, sharpness, contrast -- all are excellent in this 1.78:1 anamorphic edition (it was broadcast at 1.33:1, but was made with European theatrical release in mind, so probably either ratio is just fine). I haven't determined whether or not there is stereo separation (my sound system is shot), but the dialog is clear as a bell and the music (by the Chieftans) is rich with period flavor. And there is a feature commentary by director Fraser Heston. Can't go wrong!

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Dick

Warner Archives has released this wonderful t.v. movie at last! Charlton Heston is delightful as Long John Silver, and the cast includes Christian Bale (as Jim Hawkins), Oliver Reed, and Christopher Lee. I consider this version to be the equal of Disney's in 1950. It runs over a half-hour longer, allowing for well-rounded characters and atmosphere.
Color fidelity, sharpness, contrast -- all are excellent in this 1.78:1 anamorphic edition (it was broadcast at 1.33:1, but was made with European theatrical release in mind, so probably either ratio is just fine). I haven't determined whether or not there is stereo separation (my sound system is shot), but the dialog is clear as a bell and the music (by the Chieftans) is rich with period flavor. And... this may be a first for the Archive titles... there is a feature commentary by director Fraser Heston. Can't go wrong!

I thought this was a pressed DVD, not a Warner Archive MOD. (I haven't received my copy yet.) It certainly hasn't appeared in the Warner Archive section of Warner's web site.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You are right, Jeffrey. I happened to order this from the Archive site along with a few other titles, so I got mixed up. I have modified my original post. Thanks.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I second and third the recommendation for this outstanding adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson story. Of the several versions I've seen, I've always cherished the Disney film from 1950, which I still I think is a superior film and a superior DVD transfer, but it's like a Cliffs Notes synopsis compared to the Heston version. Heston's version is full-length and definitive. I like how the Hestons pepper the cast with his co-stars from The Three / Four Mustakeers (1974) in cameos and supporting roles. Superb story-telling and highly entertaining. A fine transfer, too. Let me also recommend Heston's A Man For All Seasons (1989), also newly released. Playwright Robert Bolt revised his original play just for Heston's version, and it is every thing it should be. Full length and definitive. No complaints about the early feature film by Fred Zinneman, but Heston's version is also superbly produced, directed, and acted. A first-rate film given a fine transfer.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I "fourth" a recommendation! I have loved this version of Treasure Island ever since it was originally broadcast and have treasured (har har) the laser disc for many years -- and since the advent of DVDs have been wondering why it hadn't been released on DVD. About time, me hearties!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks