What's new

Blu-ray Review Ben-Hur: 50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Paul_Scott said:
Been looking forward to this release, but since I was on the road for the last month, I figured I would just wait for some deals around BF. But in the meantime, I keep checking various e-tailers just in case a fluke price drop might happen. All of a sudden, Amazon no longer has it for sale (Item is under review?!), and the only option there is marketplace resellers for several $ more than Amazons previous price. The price also skyrocketed at DeepDiscount (if the msrp was $69.99, it's actually higher than msrp now). No bargain at DVD Empire either. And now it's listed as out of stock at WB's own shop! What's going on? I finally ended up getting it from B&N.com using a 20% off coupon (for Am Ex cardholders) which brought it down to about $40 before tax (final total $43.64). I still think this is a good candidate for some BF deals, but at this point I guess I just don't want to chance it. And in the scheme of things, $40 isn't outrageous for a package like this.
Unless your heart's set on owning that big box of paper swag, you can get the disc-only version from Amazon.co.uk for about $26 shipped. As has been mentioned, it's a region-free release, the UK discs play back fine in the U.S. and all the same disc-based content is included.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
SD_Brian said:
Unless your heart's set on owning that big box of paper swag, you can get the disc-only version from Amazon.co.uk for about $26 shipped. As has been mentioned, it's a region-free release, the UK discs play back fine in the U.S. and all the same disc-based content is included.
In this instance at least, the swag is not an annoyance and worth some (though not a huge) premium to me. Both books sound like pleasant extras, though If it's anything like the book in the GWTW or Planet Of The Apes sets, the big picture book going to be mostly a dump of various stills and art competently but perfunctorily arranged. More interesting to me is the reproduction of the Heston journal/planner. That sounds like quite a thoughtful and nifty extra. For a definitive presentation of a classic widescreen epic, under $45 for a nice set (and no hassles should I need to exchange a copy for whatever reason) isn't a big deal. Warner did a fine job on the entire presentation here, so I'm almost happy to kick in a little extra.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Paul- In case you're not aware, Amazon is back selling the set (after that mysterious 'item under review' incident when they passed it over to resellers. I wonder what that was about?). I have the set but also have one in my cart to buy as a gift - at a hoped-for reduction. Instead it's been increased by $1, whereas Amazon UK has dropped the price of its set to the equivalent of $21 (after VAT deducted). I'm sure you know that when you buy enough goodies through the UK that the shipping charge is usually off-set by the VAT charges we don't incur.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Ironically enough, it just popped up in my Goldbox. Still, even with the sale price, it would come out to several $ more after sales tax. The only upside would be getting it faster since I have Prime, though I'm actually not in a big hurry to watch it. I would have been content to wait to pick it up, but the overall package was the draw for me and I didn't want to miss out on it.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Sorry to drag this out, but those interested in the set should fasten their seatbelts. The price jumped to $50.99 today! City of Life and Death jumped from $24 a couple of days ago to $36+ yesterday. Today it fell back to $24. Prices at Amazon seem to be getting more erratic lately. Maybe they're jockeying with the competition, or H.A.L is plain tired!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Last night I finally found a quiet evening to sit down with Ben-Hur, and I have to say that I was simply FLOORED by how good this release looks and sounds. It is a beautiful presentation in every sense of the word. What a pleasure it was to experience one of the great film classics in such a stunning high definition transfer! The amount of work that went into producing this Blu-ray is evident in every frame. Major kudos go to the team of craftsmen and professionals who's fine work is on display here. THANK YOU Warner! Thank you for doing it RIGHT. Amazing.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
About versions and pricing: Target has a movie-only version for $14.99 and Best Buy has a 3 disk version for $29 (it has been on sale).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by john a hunter

Not really as it is not just in the centre Roland. The dialog is directional when at the sides of the screen but there seems to be no panning of dialog across the screen when characters move. Still a fabulous transfer.

I have a theory that Warner based their remix around a 4-track element where left and right centers were folded in to create the new center channel. This would explain the more middle focused dialog except when coming from the extreme left or right.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
Last night I finally found a quiet evening to sit down with Ben-Hur, and I have to say that I was simply FLOORED by how good this release looks and sounds. It is a beautiful presentation in every sense of the word. What a pleasure it was to experience one of the great film classics in such a stunning high definition transfer! The amount of work that went into producing this Blu-ray is evident in every frame. Major kudos go to the team of craftsmen and professionals who's fine work is on display here. THANK YOU Warner! Thank you for doing it RIGHT. Amazing.
Just popped this in briefly the other night and had the same exact reaction you did. This is a monster upgrade from the previous DVD releases, and the imagery on display is glorious. In whatever form of packaging, this title should be on the shelf of any/everyone who considers themselves a movie fan.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
rsmithjr said:
About versions and pricing: Target has a movie-only version for $14.99 and Best Buy has a 3 disk version for $29 (it has been on sale).
From what I understand, these are both 'movie only' versions as Best Buys extra disc is simply a dvd or digital copy version of the film- not the special feature content. If it had been all three main discs from the big box set, I may have been more tempted to go with it (rather than order from the UK). As it is now, I'm happy I went with the box set. B&N had my package to me in about 3 days, very well padded, even though I didn't have a membership at the time (tho I did just get it again for the Criterion sale). Taking into account how spectacular the actual film looks on these discs, the rest of the package ( the two books) fell right into line with my expectations. The hardback is cute, but slight- more like a spiffy deluxe movie program, than any kind of substantive book- but the reproduced journal is a very cool artifact to me. Very well done. Neither of these are essential to the experience of watching the film- but they help underscore what a treat it is to own the film in this kind of fashion.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was just looking at Amazon and the only version available from them is the big boxed set. There's another version which available from other sellers, but it does not appear to have all the disc extras. Is the full set (minus the box 'o stuff) out of print already?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The full set without the box was only available at certain stores (Walmart or Best Buy maybe?) and never carried by Amazon. However Amazon does allow marketplace sellers to resell it on their site.
Johnny Angell said:
I was just looking at Amazon and the only version available from them is the big boxed set. There's another version which available from other sellers, but it does not appear to have all the disc extras. Is the full set (minus the box 'o stuff) out of print already?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Johnny Angell said:
Check out Amazon.co.uk instead. The UK release plays fine in U.S. players. I purchased the full version without the box set extras for just under $21, including shipping.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That is a good price. I'm thinking...I'm thinking. Why the heck do a lot of movies cost more in the US? Wow, I like the art work on the discs. I notice they have El Cid for even less. Is that release any good?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Some have been disappointed in the EL CID, which has the same master as the German and French BDs. To me it seemed a vast improvement over the standard DVD released here by Miriam. Same is true with FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. Purists argue that the original elements should be retransferred which is a great idea in theory but probably not economically feasible. It's not up to BEN-HUR or HOW THE WEST WAS WON to tell the truth. Still, it's head and heels above SPARTACUS, and probably as good as it will get. I love EL CID and am just glad to have it in as good form as this release provides.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Ed Lachmann said:
Some have been disappointed in the EL CID, which has the same master as the German and French BDs. To me it seemed a vast improvement over the standard DVD released here by Miriam. Same is true with FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. Purists argue that the original elements should be retransferred which is a great idea in theory but probably not economically feasible. It's not up to BEN-HUR or HOW THE WEST WAS WON to tell the truth. Still, it's head and heels above SPARTACUS, and probably as good as it will get. I love EL CID and am just glad to have it in as good form as this release provides.
Good to know. However, it appears the UK version of Fall of the Roman Empire lacks the overture, intermission, and exit music retained in other European releases

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Johnny Angell said:
That is a good price. I'm thinking...I'm thinking. Why the heck do a lot of movies cost more in the US? Wow, I like the art work on the discs.
In some cases, like Ben-Hur and Gone With The Wind, the studio will only release a "Box 'o Stuff" version in the U.S. while releasing a disc-only release overseas. That is why I bought both these titles from Amazon.uk, as I do not want any of the peripheral collectibles and refuse to pay a premium price for those items. In other cases, there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to the price difference. I purchased The Bourne Trilogy for about $30 from Amazon.uk when it was selling for over $70 here.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just be aware that while Ben-Hur is region free, both El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire are region B-locked. So if you don't have a Blu-ray player that will play all regions, you will be very disappointed.
Johnny Angell said:
That is a good price. I'm thinking...I'm thinking. Why the heck do a lot of movies cost more in the US? Wow, I like the art work on the discs. I notice they have El Cid for even less. Is that release any good?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mark-P said:
Just be aware that while Ben-Hur is region free, both El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire are region B-locked. So if you don't have a Blu-ray player that will play all regions, you will be very disappointed.
I don't and thank you for pointing that out. [soup nazi voice]No El Cid for me![/end soup nazi voice]

john a hunter

Screenwriter
JoHud said:
Good to know. However, it appears the UK version of Fall of the Roman Empire lacks the overture, intermission, and exit music retained in other European releases
I havn't checked it out myself but I am told that the UK El Cid is a slightly different transfer from the German one and better. Anyone checked it out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks