What's new

Troubleshooting con't (1 Viewer)

lbk

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Thanks for those of you that responded to my other thread. I've actually got other problems too - so here goes - this is everything.

Here's is the current set-up. H/K AVR 145. This unit (if you're not familiar) has no HDMI. It has two component video inputs/outputs and two optical audio inputs and two audio coaxial inputs.

My cable box is a Samsung H3270 and I just got an Insigia (best buy brand) Blue-Ray player.

Cable box is hooked up to optical audio and component video.

The Blue Ray player is hooked up to coaxial audio and component video.

Problem #1: Cable Sound - Generally poor quality sound. Some channels are better than others, but none seem to deliver great sound, and the volume is so low. There is virtually no surround sound. So - I went into the settings on the cable box and changed the Audio Formatting to PCM rather than Dolby. Significantly better - although I don't think I'm getting true Dolby Digital Surround Sound. Can someone please explain this to me. Thanks.

Problem #2: Can't play Blue Ray via HDMI - I originally hooked up my Blue Ray Player with HDMI directly to the TV and then with a coaxial audio cable to the receiver. I get great sound, but no video. My own photo discs or movies I have burned play fine, but regular DVD's and blue ray discs give me no video. What's up with that? So, I hooked it up via component inputs and that works fine. I know the HDMI works OK because I hooked the cable box up directly to the TV via HDMI - no problem with video. So - is this a firmware issue with the TV (brand - Olevia) or something else? I did hook up the Player to another TV via HDMI and it played the Blue Ray fine - so its not the HDMI output on the player. Any thoughts?

Last Problem (promise) - Hook the cable box up to the optical audio on the receiver - have Dolby Digital Surround Sound per the display on the receiver. Then plug the cable box into the TV via HDMI - boom, no more surround. What's up with that?

If you guys can give me another response here - Id appreciate it. Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
#1 PCM = stereo / Dolby = digital surround sound. No you aren't getting any surround sound. Dolby Digital is recorded 10db lower than stereo to give it more dynamic range. Just turn up the volume knob.

#2 It could be one of many problems. A. Your HDMI on the DVD player is not turned on. B. You don't have the TV set to the correct input. C. Faulty connection. Either an HDMI port on either piece of equipment or a bad cable.

#3. Not sure because there are dozens of different cable boxes and each location can have a different version of software. But it sounds like your cable box is configured to send digital audio out the HDMI port when connected. It may be a setting you can change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks