Trailers On DVDs That Give Away Too Much Plot? Biggest Offenders?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Von Pein, Oct 29, 2003.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Upon re-watching Alfred Hitchcock's popular and scary 1960 mega-hit, "Psycho", recently (plus the plentiful and pleasing extra features on the Universal DVD) it struck me at how awful [from a "spoiler" standpoint] Hitchcock's very own self-hosted Theatrical Trailer was for this film.

Or ... Is it possible that Hitch's "Tour of the Psycho set" Trailer was, in fact, NOT the "Original" trailer utilized prior to the film's first release in June 1960?

Could this "Tour" trailer (which gives away, IMO, way too much info) possibly have been put out for the "Re-release" of the film a year or two after its 1960 debut?

And, if yes, I wonder what the "Original" Trailer from early to mid 1960 was like. (If there was one.)

For anyone who has never seen Psycho previously (of which there are few I realize), I would certainly NOT recommend viewing the DVD's Trailer before watching the film.

There's not a single scene from "Psycho" used in the 10-minute Trailer, but .....

The Trailer tells the viewer (unsuspecting of plot points or otherwise) right off that we're going to see at least two brutal killings -- and WHERE we'll see them! One in the shower and one on the staircase.

I often wondered WHY Hitch wanted to reveal this much data regarding his film, which was shrouded in secrecy at the time. ("No one, but no one, will be admitted to the theater after the start of each performance of Psycho!")

What other trailers on current DVD products give away too much of the plot do you think?

2. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

It's the original trailer, alright.

But, did you happen to notice that the *victim* in the final shot of the trailer is NOT the same *victim* as in the film?

Vera Miles appears in the shower in the trailer, NOT Janet Leigh.

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Yes, Tony, I did. [​IMG]

A fun little bit of switch-eroo employed by Hitch there.

It WAS the Original Trailer, eh? OK, thanks. Seems odd to me, though, that Mr. H would reveal the info he did.

Hitchcock's self-hosted trailer for "The Birds", while rather dry IMO, didn't give away any details of the film if I recall. He just went on (and on and on...) about ... birds.

4. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Another really bad one is the trailer to Superman III. The climax to the film, in which Superman successfully destroys the super computer,
    is clearly in the trailer. What was the WB thinking when they put it together?

5. PeterKelly

PeterKelly Agent

SPOILERS - but given away by trailer

Cast Away - We know he makes it and that Helen Hunt remarries.

6. Bryan_Bortz

Bryan_Bortz Stunt Coordinator

hehe, yeah cast away is a baad one.

I have noticed that most Chick flick's have trailers that give away almost all the plot [​IMG]

Oh, and Two Towers anyone? I still don't think they should have shown him!

-Owl

7. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

8. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

Here's an interesting quote from J. Michael Straczynski, creator of Babylon 5.

9. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

10. Sean Frost

Sean Frost Stunt Coordinator

What Lies Beneath had a major spoiler in the trailer.

It reveals that Harrison Ford is the killer

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Star Trek Nemesis, the last one, gave away everything: That Shinzon was Picard's clone, that Picard would climactically ram the Enterprise into the enemy ship, that Data would climactically jump across the expanse of space. Every moment that may have made for an exciting climax was shown in detail in the preview.

12. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

Here's one, Free Willy. A movie I personally can't stand, but was always amused by the trailer, which is a summary of the entire film. The trailer shows Orphan boy, makes friends with whale, people try to kill whale for insurance money or something, boy conspires to save whale, bad guys try to stop them, boy saves whale, whale jumps dramatically over kid to freedom, title, fade to black. Yeah, why am I gonna go see this movie now?

13. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

Star Trek III's trailer showed the Enterprise getting destroyed after the film makers had gone through lots of trouble to avoid letting that info slip out ahead of time.

14. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

KANGAROO JACK's trailer gave away that the film would suck before anyone could find out for themselves. [​IMG]

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

16. Brian Knolhoff

....and Star Trek Generations's trailer ALSO showed the Enterprise getting destroyed! Seems to be a recurring theme...

-Brian

17. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

This is why I avoid trailers at all costs. If I'm sitting in a movie theater and a trailer for a film I'm interested in seeing starts to play, I shut my eyes and cover my ears til it's done. It made for a much more enjoyable experience when I saw The Italian Job since its trailer literally summarized the entire flick, including the ending.

I'll make an exception for Spielberg's trailers though. He's the only director in the biz who won't reveal anything from the third act of his films in their ad campaigns. The Lost World trailers never showed the mainland sequence. A.I. had hardly any footage from the movie in the teaser and trailer. And Minority Report showed hardly any of the last 20-30 minutes in the ads.

18. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

19. FrankT

FrankT Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the The Italian Job trailer it was one of the worst for me in recent memory. You almost did not have to see the movie.

20. Josh Pounds

Josh Pounds Stunt Coordinator

I said this in another thread, but let me say it again.

There exists somewhere on a DVD commentary (I simply do not remember which one), a director lamenting about this very thing...about how too much of the story is given away in the trailers.

He then explains that the advertising execs believe it is their job to "save" the movie, so they will simply do anything to get butts in the seats that first weekend. IF this means giving away major plot points by showing "exciting" scenes, it will happen.

I don't know about y'all, but the question put in my mind by a movie trailer is what makes me want to see it. I enjoy the "novelty" trailers that show absolutely nothing from the film, they just build interest.