What's new

Track the Films You Watch (2007) (2 Viewers)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
12/15/07

Heroes for Sale (1933) :star::star::star:1/2

William A. Wellman directs this hard hitting look about a man (Richard Barthelmess) who stands up during a WW1 battle and becomes a hero but he doesn't get credit for what he did as it goes to someone else. He's injured in the war and soon gets hooked on morphine and this causes him to break up when he returns home but after getting himself cleaned up he eventually gets married to a woman (Loretta Young) but soon the Depression hits and he has another chance of being a hero. This is an extremely powerful film that talks about unknown heroes who never get the credit they deserve because they don't want any credit for doing the right thing. There's a lot of blood and passion running throughout the film so it's rather obvious that this was a big subject for director Wellman. Barthelmess gives a terrific performance as he commands every scene that he's in. Aline MacMahon is great as a family friend as is Robert Barrat as a German trying to cash in on an invention. Young is very good in her small role and has some great chemistry with Barthelmess. The early WW1 scenes contains some great and bloody action as does a riot during the middle of the film, which really caught me off guard with the violence and blood shown. There are countless Pre-Code elements and the look at drug addiction is very nicely done.

Wild Boys of the Road (1933) :star::star::star:1/2

William A. Wellman directs this Depression era drama about two boys (Frankie Darro, Edwin Phillips) who run away from home and jump on the railroad route in hopes of finding a job so that they can help their families back home. Once again there must have been something inside of Wellman because there's a lot of passion in this film aimed at the poor who must do what they can to try and survive. This is a very hard hitting film that looks at this kids in a very serious light and it makes for a terrific little gem that deserves more attention than it's gotten within film history. Both Darro and Phillips are terrific in their roles and the chemistry they offer is great. Wellman's future wife, Dorothy Coonan, is also very good in her role as the boys buddy. The first twenty-minutes of the film shows the boys as normal teenagers but then we see their parents lose their jobs and thus forcing them to hit the road. This set up really sells the rest of the film and it also helps us see the suffering they're going to go through for the rest of the film. Wellman does a great job with the tender side of the story as well as a couple great fight sequences where they boys attack some railroad police as well as a rapist. Darro has a bit of Cagney in him and his performance here seems to have had a major influence on what we'd eventually see from The Dead End Kids.

Lilly Turner (1933) :star::star:1/2

Ruth Chatterton plays the title role, a woman who gets married but then loses her husband when it turns out he is already married to another woman. She loses her baby and then joins a traveling medicine show where she meets another man (George Brent) but her pass might catch up with her. Here's another Pre-Code from William A. Wellman but the screenplay doesn't do anyone justice. The performances are all very good with Chatterton really stealing the show as the tough as nails woman. Brent also turns in a fine performance as does Frank McHugh, Robert Barrat and Ruth Donnelly. The screenplay is full of cliche material from the wrong men falling for Lilly up to the ending, which anyone will see coming from a mile away. The bigamy plot twist might have been shocking for the day but it too is pretty watered down even for the era.

Virtue (1932) :star::star::star:

Pat O'Brien plays a soft hearted taxi driver who thinks he knows all there is to know about women but that changes when he meets a prostitute (Carole Lombard). At first he doesn't know her history but that changes after they're married and soon after more problems start popping up. This is a pretty good little drama that manages to have several good performances and a nice story to go along with it. Lombard is very sexy in her role and delivers a fine, tough performance but it's actually O'Brien who steals the show in what could be the best performance I've seen from him. He plays a complete jerk throughout the entire movie but when it comes time for that good heart to show he mixes the two perfectly. The film goes through some standard stuff including a murder subplot but in the end this moves along very fast and makes for a good time killer.

Robin Hood Makes Good (1939) :star::star::star:

Three squirrels are in the woods playing Robin Hood when one is kidnapped by a fox. This is a pretty good animated short that has some nice laughs and a great fox doing all the bad stuff.

Knock on Any Door (1949) :star::star:1/2

Humphrey Bogart gets top billing here but in reality the film is a showcase for John Derek who plays a thug who suffered from a rough upbringing. He eventually gets charged with the murder of a cop but he claims to be innocent and his lawyer (Bogart) believes him. Director Nicholas Ray does a good job with his duties but he's letdown by a pretty standard screenplay, which puts the main focus of the film on Derek's life story, which doesn't contain anything we haven't already seen in countless other movies. The film picks up towards the end when the trial start because Bogart takes center stage and delivers a very good performance. Derek is decent in his role but never strong enough to carry the film, which is what the screenplays asks of him. The only part of the flashback scenes that really work are the ones with Derek and his wife played by Allene Roberts. Roberts nearly steals the film and certainly out acts Derek in every scene. There's some nice dialogue including a great final speech by Bogart but there's just not enough originality here to make it work all the way through.

12/16/07

Case of the Howling Dog, The (1934) :star::star:1/2

Warren William plays Perry Mason in Warner's first film in the series. In the film, an apparent crazy man shows up at Perry's office complaining about his neighbor's dog who keep barking through the night. The following day the man making the complaint disappears and the dog and its owner are dead. A woman (Mary Astor) takes the blame but Perry thinks there's more to the story. This film really isn't too much different than the countless other mysteries of the period. The first fifty-five minutes has Mason investigating the case and then the final fifteen take place in the court room. The story is pretty difficult to figure out but it leads to a very good ending when the case is finally unraveled. William is his typical good self and Astor makes for a good client, although she isn't given a lot to do. Allen Jenkins and Grant Mitchell co-star.

Case of the Curious Bride, The (1935) :star::star::star:

Michael Curtiz directs this second film in the Perry Mason series with Warren William returning to the role. This time out a new bride (Margaret Lindsay) goes to Perry asking about advice on her new marriage. The woman's first husband was reported dead four years earlier but after her new marriage she began receiving blackmail notes from him. After she visits Mason the old husband turns up dead and she becomes the main suspect. This is a highly entertaining little mystery that's a notch above most films in its genre due to Curtiz and his great direction. He keeps the film moving along at a very fast pace and William is more energetic than the first film. Lindsay does a good job in her role and Allen Jenkins steals the film with his nice comedy. Errol Flynn plays the dead husband in the film but for the most part we only see him as the corpse except for a few scenes at the end. From that to Captain Blood in a year isn't too bad.

Case of the Lucky Legs, The (1935) :star::star:

Third film in Warner's series has Perry Mason (Warren William) investigating a racket where a man holds a hot legs contest but instead of paying the winner the money he runs out of town. Mason is able to track him down but it's too late because someone has murdered him so Mason must try to crack the case and save his client. Sadly William spends a lot of time playing William and that means he's back to whistling at women and tracking them down. There's way too much female flirting going on and this takes away from the mystery, which isn't too good to begin with. The supporting cast doesn't offer up any good performances except for Allen Jenkins but he doesn't have too much to do. The film gets a tad bit slugish towards the end but the solving of the case makes for some slight entertainment. Certainly the weakest of the first three films.

John Ford Goes to War (2002) :star::star::star:

Pretty good documentary discussion director John Ford's years in WW2. Peter Bogdanovich, Oliver Stone, Leonard Maltin and Dan Ford, the director's grandson, are just some of the people interviewed. We get to hear stories on why Ford wanted to do those documentaries during WW2 and we also get clips from the films as well as stories behind their making. The Battle of Midway, December 7th, Sex Hygiene and Torpedo Squadron are just a few of the films discussed. Also discussed are a few films he might have directed that no one has seen yet but the best talk comes about the production of December 7th and the differences between the two versions. I guess it goes without saying but Stone has some very harsh word about Ford over the making of these films.

Up the River (1930) :star::star:

John Ford's prison comedy has been forgotten in the director's filmography and what limited knowledge people have about it is more with its stars. Spencer Tracy and Humphrey Bogart made their first big splash on the big screen here and this would be the only film they'd do together. In the film, Bogart falls in love with a female prisoner (Claire Luce) and they plan to get married once she gets paroled but a man from her past comes after Bogart once he's released from jail. Needing help, two buddies (Tracy, Warren Hymer) escape from prison and go after the man. There's also a subplot dealing with a big baseball game between two prisons but this doesn't get too much attention. I was left pretty disappointed with this film because Ford's direction really doesn't bring too much life to the screenplay, which, to the director's credit, is all over the place. It starts off as a comedy but then we switch gears to a rather strange drama. Some of this might be due to Ford having the screenplay rewritten after MGM's The Big House stole some of his ideas. The final thirty minutes drag by pretty badly as this is the same time that the laughs stop. There's some funny stuff early on including one scene where the men are getting ready for bed, four to a cell, and they realize they only have three pillows. Tracy's film debut is a very good one and I was shocked to see that Tracy personality on full display at such an early time in his career. That street tough attitude mixed with his cocky side comes off very well here. I was also shocked at Bogart who certainly isn't playing what we'd come to see in the future. Here he's constantly smiling, getting pushed around and I guess you'd say he plays a real dork. He's actually very good here, which shocked me since some of his pre-fame roles feature him looking pretty silly. From what I read, Bogart and Ford hated one another after Bogart called the director "Jack" so this was sadly the only film they made together. The Fox DVD of this is in incredibly bad shape with some jumps in the print and cuts in the soundtrack.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

Hey Dave,

I thought gut-munchin' zombies were more your bag than this quaint, archaic brand of English humor:)!

Seriously, I've been looking forward to the Will Hay & The Crazy Gang films since I read what little I could find about them in my father's film books. While I did manage to acquire 11 Will Hay titles on PAL VHS and R2 DVD several years ago, the two Crazy Gang films and Arthur Askey's THE GHOST TRAIN (1941; from a shop at Heathrow Airport) were purchased on DVD in 2007; needless to say, all three films got viewed by me as soon as I had them in my hands! I only wish that THE GHOST TRAIN (which I had reviewed earlier in the year on HTF) had included the earlier 1931 version!

I'm not sure if I can rightfully include Will Hay among my favorite comedians since, apart from OH, MR. PORTER! (1937), the rest of his films have received only one viewing from me so far...but he is definitely in the same league as my legitimate favorite comics - Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton & Harold Lloyd - so, there you go!

Incidentally, I've been trying, unsuccessfully, for some time to interest a 60-year old movie buff/schoolmate of my father's in the films of Will Hay but he never even heard of him! I'll be trying again with The Crazy Gang when I meet him later on today...

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

Those 2 William A. Wellman "message" pictures are very highly-regarded in some circles and one hopes that these TCM screenings augur well for Warners giving them a future DVD release under one of their "Controversial Classics" or "Forbidden Hollywood" monikers...

Your impression of KNOCK ON ANY DOOR (1949) is pretty close to mine while your comments on UP THE RIVER (1930) made me, if anything, look forward to it even more: Bogart as a dork? Spencer Tracy in a prison-set comedy-drama?, etc.

Incidentally, later on today I will be selling off my single copies of THE PRISONER OF SHARK ISLAND (1936), HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY (1941) and MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946) to my local DVD shop owner in anticipation of my purchasing that big "Ford At Fox" set...

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Children of Dune (2003) :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2

A well done mini-series that takes up where Dune left off. The acting is better here than in Dune. Susan Sarandon was miscast as Princess Corrino. She might have been adequate if she didn't act her part as if it were a joke. Everyone else was adequate in their parts especially James MacAvoy as Leto 2. He was able to display the emotions and wisdom that the part needed. Superior in every way to Dune which I also enjoyed immensely. I have a feeling this is it as far as further mini-series go but I would love to see this directors take on God, Emperor Dune.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Zombie Outbreak (2007)

Viewed 12/10/2007 (first viewing)

No frills undead epic has a single mother, four teens and a couple of top secret government zombie hunters fighting for their lives after an outbreak of the living dead. Starts off like it might be sorta decent, but gets worse as it goes along. Save it for when you're really desperate for a zombie fix.

:star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Mulva: Zombie Ass Kicker! (2001)

Troma strikes again with this living dead crapfest. A homely, nerdish girl (who may quite possibly be the most annoying character ever committed to film) has her Halloween plans wrecked by wacky neighbors, bullies and zombies. Might have worked as a 30-minute short, but at 60 minutes it's padded with too much unfunny filler.

:star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

The Diary (2004)

Above average zombie short finds a couple menaced by zombies at their secluded forest cabin.

:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Decampitated (2003)

Viewed 12/11/2007 (first viewing)

Off the wall satire of slasher movies has a group of campers menaced by a skipping (that's right, he skips) killer. Fun for a time, but overstays its welcome. Pretty decent production values for a Troma flick, though.

Sawdust and Tinsel (1953)

12/12/2007 (first viewing)

Ingmar Bergman's tale ofa circus performer whose life unravels when he returns home to visit his wife - with his mistress in tow!

Lights in the Dusk (2006)

Viewed 12/12/2007

Revisit.

Army of Darkness (1993)

Viewed 12/13/2007

Revisited the director's cut.

:star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Raising Arizona (1987)

Viewed 12/13/2007

Revisited the Coen Bros. classic.

The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)

Viewed 12/14/2007 (first viewing)

Jason Bourne is back, uncovering the secrets of his past in this exciting espionage thriller.

Lights, Action, Music (2007)

Viewed 12/15/2007 (first viewing)

Good (though not as comprehensive as it could have been) documentary on film music composers.

Vitus (2006)

Viewed 12/15/2007 (first viewing)

Fine drama about a child music prodigy who wants to lead a "normal" life. Full of surprises.

:star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

The Hoax (2007)

Viewed 12/16/2007 (first viewing)

Solid, well-cast chronicle of author Clifford Irving's scheme to publish a biography of Howard Hughes - without the man's consent!

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

Ahh...I like all films me.

I have a fondness for George Formby and Norman Wisdom as well.

But I really like Will Hay.
One moment in "Ask a Policeman" always creases me up (it's down to the delivery as well of course) when the old man Harbottle (the great Moore Marriott) states they should see HIS FATHER to work out what the last line of the smugglers poem is...

Hay: "You mean you have a father still living"!?
Harbottle: "Yes"
Hay to Albert: "Come on, we're going to meet Adam"!
Nice one.

"The Host" - Almost as depressing as watching Concentration Camp liberation films.
Basically lets see how much sadistic crap we can throw at one family in 1hour 50 mins and oh yeah...throw in a bit of monster mayhem now and again to fool people into thinking it may be entertaining.
That the whole idea is that a father believes his presumed daughter is not actually dead but still alive and goes through hell (with the rest of his dysfunctional family) to prove it and find her, it's then a betrayal (despite the tiny shiny bit of good with a saved orphan) to then never bring this fact to actual fruition.
Simply to make it all even more dark and depressing, as if the constant nastiness the family have already been through is not enough.

There are places for dark and bleak films in cinema...but you have earn that right and put it in context.
A supposedly slam bang monster flick, with the hopes of salvation for the presumed dead at the end, is not it.

I suppose its all meant to be deep and meaningful and about sacrifice and some kind of salvation pulled from the darkness of grief....yeah. Fine.
But this was not the film to do that.

About as much fun as "Salvador". But that had the right to do what it did. This didn't.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

Every Christmas, I keep meaning to revisit Bob Clark's original BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974) but - while I concede to having been impressed a lot by the film and finding it awfully creepy and very funny in spots (during my sole viewing so far) - I'm not too sure that a flick about a maniacal killer on the loose is ideal Yuletide viewing...title or no title!

Anyway, I wasn't going to reply to your post but, as it happened, I just rented and watched that turd of a 2006 remake. Boy, had I any doubts about whether the original's reputation was deserved or not (which I don't), after this viewing they would have been locked up in the attic for good! Bad, bad, bad and practically worthless. But I don't want to waste more words on it because then I'd have even less to say in my "official" review:)!

P.S. I didn't like SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT (1973) much at all and I'd say that, although a good film in itself, even CHRISTMAS EVIL (1980) is inferior to the original BLACK CHRISTMAS.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The remake is just as strong as the original, although it has more to do with a F13 type slasher over the original BC. It's a old fashioned gore and violence film and on this level it works very, very well and it's certainly a lot better than the recent horror films like HOSTEL 1 &2, CAPTIVE and various other slashers. The film was a throw back to the 1980s gore period and it's even better because the MPAA are a lot nicer to slashers today.

As for the original, it's a very well made but highly flawed movie. SPOILERS I still think it was a mistake to let the viewer know where the killer was. It forces us to wait around for 90-minutes while the characters finally catch up with us when we've been there since the one minute mark.

As for UP THE RIVER, every Tracy and Bogart fan should get a small kick out of it but the film isn't very good. Not to mention it's the worst transfer from a major company that I've personally seen. I'm going to compare it to the version I bought earlier this year just to see how they compare.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Enchanted

Good idea, but weak songs. Given that instantly memorable songs is one of the trademarks of the great Disney fairy tales, that's a real weakness in this movie. Pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

Sahara

Had it's moments, but took too long to get going, and keeps slipping in and out of gear once it does.

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

Andy Hardy light...very light. How the hell this became a series is beyond me.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
The Bishop's Wife (1947) :star: :star: :star: :star:

Apparently Cary Grant was originally suppose to play the part of the Bishop but after reading the script he opted to play Dudley the angel.
This is a wonderful Christmas movie that has alot of charm and heart. Great family viewing.

Every Girl Should Be Married (1948) :star:

As much as I enjoyed the Bishop's Wife, this one I hated with a passion. Cary Grant is his wonderful charming self but there is something alittle unsettling about the story. I'm sure it was a sweet story in the 1940's but nowadays it would set off alarms. Alot of the problems also lies with Betsy Drake. I found her character and personality like fingernails across a chalkboard. Plus I don't think she's very much of an actress. So the movie get one star and that's for Cary Grant's performance.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
12/16: Enchanted (2007) :star::star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:

The heart of the story is terrific. Giselle and Robert have great chemistry together, and the relationship is equal parts humorous and heartwarming. Nathaniel makes an excellent comic henchman. The film is filled with winks and nods to past Disney classics, and it's fun trying to catch them. The standout sequence is the musical number in Central Park, "How Do You Know."

On the other hand, the Prince, the chipmunk, and the villain are all pretty weak. The animation at the beginning is not up to the usual standards, and the movie is quite cheesy and humdrum until the two leads meet up. Knocking the movie down a full star are the two bathroom humor gags involving a poodle and the chipmunk.

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
"Taxidermia"

Stupendously off-the-wall exercise in arthouse grotesquery from the Hungarians.

The fetid tale of three male generations of the same messed up family.
First is the 'Grandfather' a lowly soldier dogsbody who toils in the filth and the bitter cold with only his sexual fantasies to keep him warm.
When fantasy becomes reality and his penis gets some real pork to mount, his doomed is sealed but his genes live on in his Son, who will become... 'The Father'.

'The Father' grows up to be a speed-eater for the military where he meets his Wife to be.
Much eating and vomiting later 'The Father' has a Son, but the 'The Father' has now become a man mountain of blubber, holed up in his foul smelling room full of chocolate bars and big, fat, hungry cats.
'The Son' is a disappointment to 'The Father' as he is skinny, drawn, weak and has nothing but contempt for his Father and what he has become.

'The Son' does like to stuff things though. He is a skilled taxidermist who keeps the flesh from rotting...But can he keep his own flesh from decaying into the fucked up gene-pool that is his family?

Filled with sights, sounds and smells that polite society keeps hidden away, György Pálfi's "Taxidermia" instead wallows in them.
In full and glorious detail we see;
The rutting (some actual hardcore shots here).
The masturbation.
The wayward cock attacked by the chicken.
The bath of dead pig flesh bathed in semen.
The shoveled down foodstuffs.
The mass expulsion of vomit (as each 'eating contestant' purges himself).
The shudder of blubber.
The stretching of skin.
The removal of superflorous organs...
And the ultimate display of the human form as it bathes in the adoration of strangers and shrugs off the decay of time.

Backed by a deliciously off-kilter score, strong acting, striking visuals and touches of directorial flare "Taxidermia" is unique, weird, sad, funny, grotesque, taboo and a must-see for any of you that likes to dip your toes from time to time into something the rest of society would not see as suitable for the human eye.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Ace in the Hole (1951) :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2

I avoided this picture for so long because Kirk Douglas was in it. I might have to revise my opinion of Mr. Douglas because this is a superb picture.

A dispictable news reporter prolongs the rescue attempts of a man in a cave-in to gain his story and fosters a carnival-like atmosphere regarding the events.

According to TCM they changed the name of the picture to attacted more movie goers. The picture didn't do well because it was panned by alot of critics who didn't appreciate the protrayal of the press. It's a pity because this is a great movie that speaks volumes about the rapid press as true now if not more so than it was back then. Kirk Douglas was wonderful as the obnoxious reporter. His protrayal of the character made me hate him from the start. He was able to manipulate everyone around except for maybe Mr. Boot his boss on the Albuquerque newspaper that he works for and possibly the victim's wife who seems to know what he's all about.
Everyone else was adequate in their parts but this is Douglas's movie and he's amazing here. Good film by a great director.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Gildersleeve's Bad Day

The second of the Gildersleeve films is very enjoyable, with numerous laughs.

Gildersleeve's Ghost

The fourth (and last) of the films is, not surprisingly, the weakest, but is still likeable.

Having now seen all 4 films, I must admit I'm a bit surprised that there were only 4. The 4 films came out in a very short period of time (1942-1944), and the corresponding radio show continued on and was very popular through 1958. As with any series, there's going to be a decline from the first movie to later ones, but the drop from 1 to 4 in this case isn't severe enough to explain why they never made another one. Of course, my big disappointment isn't that there are only 4 Gildersleeve movies, but that it's unlikely that even the first and best of them will ever make it to dvd. :frowning:

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
3 Godfathers (1948) :star: :star: :star: 1/2

This is an odd choice for a Christmas movie, but funny enough I did enjoy it. Directed by John Ford and starring John Wayne who plays an outlaw who makes a promise to a dying woman to bring her baby to safety.
This was a different sort of Western but it was quite enjoyable. Hard to ignore the symbolism of the three wise men err outlaws with the baby and it seemed alittle too precious at times but still a movie I would watch again.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
12/13/07: SKIDOO (Otto Preminger, 1968) :star::star:

Perhaps stemming from a desperate need to remain relevant during a period of constant and drastic change, Hollywood’s most serious film directors – among them, Joseph Losey, John Huston and Otto Preminger – tried their hands at zany comedy during the 1960s and even embraced the counter-culture for a while; thus, we were subjected, in quick succession, to MODESTY BLAISE (1966), CASINO ROYALE (1967) and SKIDOO.

Earlier still, we even had the foremost message-monger in filmdom, Stanley Kramer, concoct that epic comedy IT’S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (1963) – which, however, would prove to be a far more successful enterprise than any of the others that followed later in the decade. In fact, prior to this, Otto Preminger was the main contender for Stanley Kramer’s title and had been directing a succession of ponderous, self-important message pictures like EXODUS (1960) and HURRY SUNDOWN (1967) – to mention the least of them. In the words of David Thomson, "...of all the Hollywood veterans, none seems to have lost his way as completely as Preminger..." and, as a matter of fact, the director’s career took a nose-dive following BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING (1965; arguably his last good work), and the film under review is exceeded in awfulness only by ROSEBUD (1975; which I’d pick as his career nadir); nevertheless, I wouldn't mind catching up with the one remaining film from this period, the black comedy SUCH GOOD FRIENDS (1971).

Therefore, while I knew of SKIDOO’s bad reputation going in, I was still unprepared for how lame it actually was. Clearly aiming for the style of the hip, anything-goes comedy extravaganzas prevalent at the time – spearheaded by WHAT’S NEW, PUSSYCAT? (1965) – unfortunately, it doesn’t have the necessary in either plot (gangsters learn to “Make Love, Not War” after meeting up with a community of hippies) or laughs (there are a few scattered chuckles but nothing side-splitting or truly memorable) to be anything more than a messy curiosity! Personally, I am an admirer of Preminger’s but I found practically nothing of his personality here and his approach to the material is as heavy-handed as was to be expected after treating all those serious subjects for so long (in spite of having worked closely with the great Ernst Lubitsch during the latter’s final years).

Preminger did have a knack for rounding up impressive all-star casts for his movies, however, and the line-up he roped in for SKIDOO was, at least on paper, certainly no exception: Jackie Gleason, Carol Channing (who even gets to sing Harry Nilsson’s catchy title song at the climax while dressed up as Napoleon Bonaparte!), Frankie Avalon, Fred Clark (who’s quite fun as a prison guard fed LSD), Frank Gorshin, Richard Kiel, John Phillip Law (as the most prominent of the flower children), Peter Lawford, Groucho Marx (his comeback performance – as a self-exiled criminal boss called God with a fiery, bare-backed, black female for an assistant – is especially disappointing), Burgess Meredith, Austin Pendleton, Slim Pickens, George Raft (as Marx’s yacht skipper!), Cesar Romero (yes, we get three actors from the 1960s BATMAN TV series – in which Preminger himself featured as Mr. Freeze!) and Mickey Rooney…but, alas, no one’s really given all that much to do!

Allegedly, the director experimented with LSD himself in preparation for this film but, unlike the altruistic effect this drug seemed to have on the flower people, it did not alter Preminger’s customary tyrannical conduct towards his actors – including the 78-year old Marx (who was forced to put on his famous “Groucho” make-up complete with cigar); besides, Faye Dunaway – who was currently under contract to Preminger – refused to appear in the film following her triumph in BONNIE AND CLYDE (1967) and was promptly taken to court by the director! Furthermore, one must remember that Preminger’s very first message movie had been that great anti-drug film, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1955) and, here, he seemed to be advocating for the wanton consumption of LSD!! At any rate, in the very opening sequence of SKIDOO, the director made some kind of a statement about the way feature films are treated when shown on TV (exemplified by a screening of his own WWII epic, IN HARM’S WAY [1965]); it’s ironic, then, that this viewing of mine came via a pan-and-scan Australian TV broadcast (complete with frequent ad breaks – though the actual publicity is, thankfully, omitted)!

I guess that, apart from watching all those stars making fools of themselves, Nilsson’s song score is perhaps the film’s other major asset – though, in a self-satisfied gesture, this includes a song wherein (literally) all the credits are sung – which is not as novel an idea as it might initially appear since Ennio Morricone had previously done it for Pier Paolo Pasolini’s HAWKS AND SPARROWS (1966)! For what it’s worth, the highlight – if so it can be called – is an LSD-induced hallucinatory production number entitled “Living in a Garbage Can” which features midgets dancing about in trash cans and, brace yourselves, mooning football players! Incredibly enough, Bob Dylan(!) had been Preminger’s first choice to handle the musical chores on his picture – which received two viewings from the folk/rock legend at Otto’s own mansion before he (wisely) declined the assignment!!

I’ve purposefully left the storyline well alone since, in the case of a film like this, it’s superfluous to dwell much on the details of the plot anyhow: for better or worse, it’s an experience every individual viewer has to make his own mind up about – just for the record, eminent British film critic Leslie Halliwell called it “one of the most woebegone movies ever made”! Still, in the unlikely event that Paramount decides to grant this notorious turkey a legitimate DVD release some day…who knows? I might be tempted to give it another peek!

12/15/07: BEDAZZLED (Stanley Donen, 1967) :star::star::star:

While I consciously had never bothered with the recent remake, I did miss the original a couple of times in the past on Cable TV; now that I have finally caught up with it, I’d say it’s a curious, with-it updating of the Faustian legend for the Swinging Sixties crowd which, in spite of frequently hitting its various targets, is rather patchy overall, thus rendering its cult status slightly overrated.

The three leads – Dudley Moore (as the timid cook hero), Peter Cook (as Mr. Spiggott alias The Horned One) and Eleanor Bron (Moore’s co-worker and object of desire) – are very appealing, although the film is perhaps best-remembered today for Raquel Welch’s steamy, scene-stealing cameo as one of Spiggott’s cohorts, Lilian Lust. Moore’s various role-plays – during the granting of his seven wishes – are quite amusing, especially the accent he adopts during his intellectual mode and his befuddled countenance while impersonating a cuckolded aristocrat; at one point, he is even turned into a fly on the wall! The leaping nuns segment is perhaps the most outrageous one of all but it works surprisingly well, as does Peter Cook’s deadpan song recital (during the black-and-white pop idol sequence) which is an unexpected highlight; Mr. Spiggott is also seen intermittently creating mischief towards the general public – releasing a group of wasps onto some nearby peaceful hippies, removing the bottom from under a woman’s shopping bag, ripping the last pages off Agatha Christie mysteries, etc.)

The witty screenplay, written by Peter Cook himself, features several in-jokes: “Julie Andrews” is the magic phrase which transports Moore from one misadventure to the next; Cook at one point makes a reference to director Stanley Donen’s own earlier popular musical, SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (1954); the name of the character played by Dudley Moore is Stanley Moon – which is how Sir John Gielgud (who would later famously co-star with Moore in the ARTHUR movies) had erroneously referred to Moore in a letter praising a stage performance he had seen him in! Unfortunately, the subplot involving the ongoing investigation of Moore’s supposed suicide/disappearance doesn’t really work (despite the welcome presence of investigating officer Michael Bates) because there would have been no reason for the police to question Bron for so long since she was only a colleague of Moore’s (and one with which he barely exchanged words to boot) and not his fiancée! Dudley Moore also composed the music score which, during the opening credits, is great but the rest of the film merely features variations on the same theme.

Although by far the most successful, BEDAZZLED was not the first screen teaming of comic duo Peter Cook and Dudley Moore (who originally hailed from TV): it was preceded by the all-star THE WRONG BOX (1966; with which I am familiar) and was followed by MONTE CARLO OR BUST (1969), THE BED-SITTING ROOM (1969; which I have on DivX but have yet to watch) and the reportedly disastrous THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1978). Furthermore, Stanley Donen had previously tackled the Faust theme as a Hollywood musical, DAMN YANKEES (1958); having shot the Hitchcock pastiche ARABESQUE (1966) in England, Donen stayed on the Continent for three more films: the marital comedy-drama TWO FOR THE ROAD (1967; starring Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn), BEDAZZLED, and his misguided depiction of the gay lifestyle, STAIRCASE (1969; starring Richard Burton and Rex Harrison).

12/14/07: ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (TV) [Edited European Theatrical Version] (Delbert Mann, 1979) :star::star::star:

This is one of three DVD editions of made-for-TV movies that I rented in order to pay belated tribute to Oscar-winning director Mann who died last month (the others being HEIDI [1968] and JANE EYRE [1970]).

I’d always resisted watching this version of the celebrated Erich Maria Remarque novel, because I thought that it couldn’t possibly hold a candle to the classic 1930 original directed by Lewis Milestone; needless to say, this turned out to be true but, even if the edition I watched was trimmed by some 20 minutes from the full-length 150-minute broadcast, the film survives as a pretty decent rendering of the novel’s anti-war sentiment. Combining meticulous period detail with elaborate battle sequences and reasonable narrative skill (not least in the way it adopts flashbacks throughout the first half), it nevertheless lacks the overall impact of Milestone’s classic mainly because of a bland young cast (Richard Thomas as Paul Baumer may be closer to the character’s age as depicted in the novel, but he never achieves the haunting quality of Lew Ayres’ performance in the original). It falls especially short when directly re-creating memorable scenes or moments from the 1930 film (such as a pair of disembodied hands hanging onto a barbed-wire fence, or when Baumer spends the night in a foxhole beside a French soldier slowly dying from his bayonet wound); the famous ending has also been slightly altered…but, then, there are other good scenes here: notably, when a number of horses are wounded during an air-raid – which causes consternation to one of the soldiers who had been a farmer as a civilian – and the gas attack, which would mean a very painful death for anyone succumbing to it.

The supporting cast is a distinguished one, led by a fine Ernest Borgnine as the seasoned Katczinky; Ian Holm is the iron-fisted Himmelstoss; Donald Pleasence the fanatical schoolteacher; and Patricia Neal has a bit as Baumer’s sick mother. As I said earlier on, Paul Monash’s script manages to capture Remarque’s basic idea of a country’s youth having their innocence despoiled through combat; similarly, John Coquillon’s grimy cinematography is instrumental in bringing out the proverbial ‘war is futile’ atmosphere.

12/15/07: JANE EYRE (TV) (Delbert Mann, 1970) :star::star:1/2

I had previously watched the classic 1944 version with Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine; this later adaptation is well enough done and acted as TV movies go, but can’t really be compared artistically (especially with respect to the narrative’s gothic trappings, much more vividly captured in atmospheric black-and-white).

It was surprising to find George C. Scott in a romantic melodrama, but it’s he who gives the film life; in any case, this seemed to start him off tackling the classics for TV – following JANE EYRE with BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1976), OLIVER TWIST (1982), A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1984) and even MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1986)! Susannah York is a good match for him and brings reasonable passion to the title character. The supporting cast, then, is peppered with veteran character actors such as Jack Hawkins, Kenneth Griffith and, best of all, Ian Bannen (as the religious fanatic who proposes to Jane).

I own but have never read the Charlotte Bronte novel; still, from what I recall of the earlier version, this one’s pretty faithful – and it has suitably literate dialogue to boot. John Williams, then, delivers a sweeping and heavily romantic score.

12/15/07: THE AMAZING QUEST OF ERNEST BLISS (Alfred Zeisler, 1936) :star::star:1/2

Following Cary Grant’s star-making supporting turn alongside Katharine Hepburn in SYLVIA SCARLETT (1935), he returned to his native land – England – for this one film (based on a popular play that had already been adapted for the screen as a Silent in 1920), and which makes for curious viewing even after all these years.

Grant is always worth watching, and he’s fresh and appealing in this harmless but dated Capra-esque comedy – a wealthy young man is bored by his lifestyle and places a bet with a celebrated doctor that he can earn his living for a year – but, as was the case with the majority of British films at the time, technical quality is lacking when compared to the more polished Hollywood product.

Interestingly, the star’s role – where Grant is forced to deceive the leading lady, whom he loves – would be expounded upon in subsequent films; here, however, the narrative is allowed to turn maudlin towards the end…and, in any case, the version I watched (under the misleading U.S. moniker, THE AMAZING ADVENTURE) has been trimmed to a little over an hour from the original length of 80 minutes!

12/16/07: HEIDI (TV) (Delbert Mann, 1968) :star::star:1/2

Again, I’d never read the favorite children’s book or watched any of the various film versions of this one (though the 1937 Shirley Temple vehicle directed by Allan Dwan is scheduled to screen on Italian TV this very week), so I wasn’t familiar with the plotline – other than that it had a mountain setting.

As it turned out, HEIDI proved surprisingly tolerable if hardly exciting fare – sentimental but undeniably moving, generally pleasant (despite the generous 110-minute length), and well acted by a stalwart cast: the heroine was played by Blake Edwards’ daughter, Jennifer, and she was supported by Maximilian Schell, Jean Simmons, Michael Redgrave, Walter Slezak, Peter van Eyck, and John Moulder-Brown as Heidi’s young shepherd-boy friend.

The story deals with an orphaned girl who finds herself torn between living with her gruff and hermit-like grandfather (Redgrave) and a wealthy uncle (Schell), who has a crippled daughter resenting the intrusion. Needless to say, Heidi’s influence softens everyone towards a happy ending – subplots involve Schell’s muted relationship with governess Simmons, Redgrave’s religious conflicts (benevolent clergyman Slezak, then, wants him to pick up his organ-playing activity at the church) and the crippled girl’s recovery (she’s entrusted in the care of doctor van Eyck, but it’s Redgrave’s unorthodox ‘treatment’ which finally reaps results).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
12/17/07

Plow That Broke the Plains, The (1936) :star::star::star:

Pare Lorentz directed and wrote this documentary that takes a look at the Dust Bowl era and the reasons it happened. The opening title sequence gives us a brief story of how good American's always got rid of bad things on their land and the film says what a good thing is was that we drove the Indians off the land. That might not go over too well today but outside of that this is a pretty good short documentary. I've read that some consider this one of the finest ever made but I wouldn't go that far. The cinematography is terrific as is the music score but the telling of the story isn't the greatest I've seen. According to the IMDB five cinematographers were used because no one could give the director what he wanted for the film.

Gone Baby Gone (2007) :star::star::star::star:

Ben Affleck's directorial debut is nothing short of a masterpiece and deals with two private investigators (Casey Affleck, Michelle Monaghan) and their search for a missing four year old girl. To say anything else about the plot would ruin the film so I'll leave it at that but I really, really loved this movie. I'm not one who thinks current films are all horrible and the future of cinema is dead but I will say that I'm a bit nervous that the character dramas that depend on acting, direction and a great screenplay might be dead. With this film and Sean Penn's Into the Wild my nerves are calmed a bit because we've got at least two young directors with balls. This film asks a lot of hard questions and gives a lot of hard answers and sometimes they'll make you wanna cry while at other times they'll make you want to commit murder. The film deals with a very ugly subject matter and deals with some of the lowest forms of scum yet the heart in this film is untouched by any recent film. This is an ugly picture that will turn a lot of people off but Affleck never pulls any punches and it constantly giving the viewer something to think about. I've always enjoyed Affleck as an actor but this film proves that his given talent is as a screenwriter and director.

The film features a terrific cast all of whom should be remembered at Oscar time. Casey Affleck has a lot to handle here and going into the film I wondered how he would do and it turns out he comes off brilliant. His character goes through a lot of changes throughout the movie and the viewer must follow him through all the questions asked of him. At times I was fully behind him but then there were times that I wanted to punch his teeth down his throat. Even with me hating some of his actions, Affleck makes the character all his own and never gives a false move. Monaghan is equally great as his partner and the screenplay allows her to be a full character and not just some sidekick. Her reasons behind wanting to find the child and her fears are different than her partners but this too works wonders within the script. The supporting cast is full of great actors including Ed Harris as a Detective on the case, Morgan Freeman as his Captain and Amy Ryan as the child's mother. Harris gives the performance of his career because, once again, the rich screenplay gives him so much to do that he's able to explore his character and show ever side of emotion. Freeman has a smaller role as the Captain who has his only child murdered and he gives a speech about that, which is perhaps the most haunting thing in the film. The Robert Shaw/Indianapolis speech in Jaws was one of the most haunting speeches I've heard but this here comes pretty damn close. Ryan, playing a crackhead whore, is also marvelous and once again benefits from the screenplay.

Taking place on the mean streets of Boston, the film perfectly captures the mood and ugliness of the "poor" side of town, which is full of drugs, prostitution and various other things. The dialogue is so rich that you'd think you were watching a documentary with real people and real situations. There's a lot of racist and homophobic talk here with various slurs being thrown around and this here is something missing in our politically correct times. The screenplay simply shows how some people are and this is something I respect. Affleck handles all of this material like a veteran so it's shocking that this is his first stint as director. I certainly look forward to what he has to offer in the future because he's clearly got talent behind the camera and behind the typewriter. This film starts off depressing and doesn't get any lighter throughout the rest of the movie. It's dark, disturbing and at times downright brutal but it has balls, which is something more films need. What I also loved are all the clues that are given in plain sight yet we don't pick up on them because we don't know they're clues. The film has a couple big twists and turns but not once did I feel cheated because, as I just said, the clues are given in a fair manor. I won't reveal the ending but the film offers people two sides and I'm sure people will be split 50/50 on what should happen. It offers a lot of possible discussions, which is another thing more movies need.

12/18/07

Mardi Gras: Made in China (2005) :star::star::star:

Pretty interesting documentary that shows where the beads used in Mardi Gras come from. We see people being forced to work 14 hours and if they don't get their numbers then they must work over off the clock. We see people being forced to work for ten cents an hour only to have their pay cut down to eight cents. We also see them charged a days pay if they are caught talking. We also see that it's mostly young girls (age 13-18) who are forced to work due to their families being poor. It was pretty eye opening seeing all of this stuff going on but I think the documentary should have focused more on China's laws instead of trying to blame those who go to Mardi Gras. The best part of the film is when the director goes to Mardi Gras and shows the party people what is going on in China. Then he goes to China and shows the workers how the beads are being used.

City of Brigham Young (1944) :star::star:1/2

Traveltalk short tells us the history of Salt Lake City, UT and why it's growing more popular each passing year. This is actually one of the better films I've seen from the series as this one goes to the trouble to talk about the past and show some reenactments of the events. The Technicolor is the film's biggest friend.

Lars and the Real Girl (2007) :star::star::star:1/2

A delusional young man named Lars (Ryan Gosling) buys a life sized doll and begins treating it as his girlfriend. Lars' plan also includes taking the doll where ever he goes and introducing her to his family, friends and the entire community but this turns out better than expected. There's not a single doubt in my mind that this here should have been a complete disaster. There's not a single doubt in my mind that this should have turned out as one of the worst films ever made but Gosling's performance makes this an incredibly little film that works on so many levels that in the end it comes off as a true gem that hopefully others will discover. Needless to say there's plenty of laughs throughout the film as the shy, timid and mentally damaged Lars first introduces his doll to everyone in the community. Emily Mortimer and Paul Schneider plays Lars' sister in law and brother and both actors bring a great comic timing to their performances. The supporting cast are all very good as well and this includes Kelli Garner as a woman with a crush on Lars and Patricia Clarkson. With that said the entire film belongs to Gosling who turns in a remarkable performance that really takes this small film and does wonders with it. He is incredibly charming in his shy routine but he also comes across as the troubled soul that he is. The ending packs a highly emotional punch and this here is where Gosling really shines and makes the viewer feel his pain as his eventual cure starts to come through. Gosling has the talent to show off so much emotion without using words that I'm sure he could have been a terrific silent actor. I was really shocked at how incredibly sad and touching the ending was and I guess I'm not alone since it seems the entire theater was in tears, which seemed impossible to me considering what the film is about. In a way this film struck me as a twisted version of It's a Wonderful Life with its message about family, love and ones place in the world and how something fake can bring people together.

Fishing Feats (1951) :star::star::star:1/2

Highly entertaining Pete Smith short shows various fishermen doing their jobs. There's some great footage including in this film with the best scene happening when two guys pull a large Hammerhead into their row boat! While they wrestle with the shark it actually gives birth to a baby right there. Another great scene has three men trying to pull in a Great White. I hate fishing but found this short to have a lot of very good moments and some nice laughs.

12/19/07

Case of the Velvet Claws, The (1936) :star::star:1/2

Fourth film in Warner's Perry Mason series once again features Warren William as the lawyer. This time out Perry is about to go on his honeymoon when a woman kidnaps him at gunpoint and asks for him to blackmail a newspaper so that her name won't be brought up in a love affair which will ruin a big politician. The bribe doesn't work but soon the woman's husband ends up dead and Mason is the suspect. This is a pretty good film that's nothing special but it makes for a quick 63-minutes worth of entertainment. The best thing the film has going for it is the performance of William who also picks up after the previous film. He's full of charm and anger this time out and those are two things William can do with ease. Sadly Allen Jenkins isn't in this one. He's replaced with a new assistant played by Eddie Acuff and he's comedy just doesn't work. The case itself is pretty good as is the ending.

Jesse James vs. the Daltons (1954) :star::star:

William Castle directed this Western for Columbia about a young man (Brett King) who believes he's the son of Jesse James. The man seeks out the help of the Dalton Gang in hopes of finding Jesse who humor has it is still alive. This is certainly a "B" film but it does have a few good things going for it. Castle's direction is better than average, although he's really not given too much to work with. The screenplay is lazy to say the least and the leading man is as dull as anything. Another positive is the Technicolor, which leads to some good looking scenes. The film was originally released in 3D, which is obvious from all the things flying at the screen. This isn't a bad film but it's only for Castle completest.

Night Life in Chicago (1948) :star::star:

Traveltalk short shows various clubs and theatres in the Chicago area. This short was suppose to show all the good clubs but it spends very little time talking about why these clubs are so special. The night life scenes look good in Technicolor but that's about it.

Romantic Nevada (1943) :star::star:

Traveltalk short showing off a mining town as well as a dude ranch in Nevada. Again, I'm sure at one time this thing was important but today it just comes off very dated.

Michael Clayton (2007) :star::star:

George Clooney plays the title character, a "fixer" for various law firms whose latest case might just destroy everyone involved including himself. One of the firms lawyers (Tom Wilkinson) has a breakdown and starts revealing information, which could ruin the company he's been hired to defend. The more he talks the more danger he puts himself in so it's up to Clayton to try and shut him up but soon his own morals are called into play. Here we have yet another contender for the most disappointing film of the year. I know it's been getting some great reviews but I found the film incredibly slow, boring and just not that interesting. If it weren't for the great cast then the film would have been a lot worse but thankfully the acting doesn't let the viewer down unlike the screenplay and direction. Clooney is terrific in his role bringing that certainly cool and calm attitude to the character. I loved the way Clooney played the role here where his emotions and facial gestures never change no matter what he's going through. Wilkinson is also very good in his role coming off very intense and crazy but at the same time totally believable as someone wanting to do what's right. Sydney Pollack is also very good in his small role. What really kills the film is its screenplay, which adds way too many side stories that are all boring and add nothing to the film. There's a subplot dealing with Clayton's druggie brother, his son and a business he started that has gone under. This adds nothing to the film and nothing to the character of Clayton so all of this was quite worthless. Even the actual case isn't all that interesting and it never grabbed my attention or interest. The direction is rather weak as Tony Gilroy never gets any suspense or tension going, which isn't good for a thriller. Clooney, Anthony Minghella, Pollack and Steven Soderbergh are just some of the names that served as producers on this thing and any of them could have done better but you gotta wonder how they all approved this screenplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks