What's new

Track the Films You Watch (2005) (1 Viewer)

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Quote (originally posted by Joe Karlosi):

"Mario - one problem is, I don't know if Mike is talking about loaning the films out. I know he said he'd let me borrow BIRTH OF A NATION, and I intend to do a blind buy of GONE WITH THE WIND myself at some point. I can't guarantee that I'd go out and buy all the films he's suggesting, though - and I wouldn't expect him to, either. There is always rental. And as you know, I have friends who have many different types of films, but the irony of that is we've stopped loaning discs out recently (I think we tended to keep the others' for too long!)

And I have a confession to make that I'm sure is not unique - I'm not one who feels comfortable lending my DVDs out - especially by mail order.

I HAVE exchanged movies with friends here at home, and even there I get kind of uneasy about it, but it's generally safer than going through the mail, and I know these friends and their habits (no offense to anyone intended)."

Damn, that is unfortunate, Joe! Does this mean that you won't be borrowing that long-promised Luis Bunuel film - THAT OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE (1977) - from you friend, now:)?

I certainly empathize with your uneasiness regarding the loaning out of one's own DVDs to friends and relatives. I myself would like nothing better than to introduce 6 like-minded friends of mine to many films I love which I know they haven't seen (or even heard of) yet but so far I've only loaned out those discs which, for various reasons, I happened to have more than 1 copy of, namely HENRY V (1944), BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1946), MILL OF THE STONE WOMEN (1960) and NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE (1979). At the moment, I have some 13 more of these but I've been dragging my feet for weeks about "concluding the transaction", so to speak! We have been exchanging lots of VHS and DVD-Rs, though...

Quote (originally posted by Joe Karlosi):

"Mike, would you take off PATHS OF GLORY instead?"

Although GANGS OF NEW YORK (2002) was, on the whole, an excellent film, I suggest you don't skip PATHS OF GLORY (1957), Joe - not only because it is one of the greatest anti-war films ever made or because it features a superb cast in peak form (Kirk Douglas, George Macready, Adolphe Menjou, Ralph Meeker, Timothy Carey, Richard Anderson) but also because it would give you the chance of watching Stanley Kubrick at work BEFORE he became Stanley Kubrick. As a matter of fact, I still think of PATHS OF GLORY as possibly Kubrick's finest film!

Quote (originally posted by Michael Elliott):

"Mario, I'd probably go a step further and call THE CAMERAMAN the greatest comedy I've ever seen. I watched it for the first time last year and I honestly don't ever remember laughing so hard. I still prefer THE GENERAL overall but as far as laughs go, THE CAMERAMAN was the best Keaton and I'd say better than any of Chaplin's straight comedies."

Mike, I must say I was surprised that you hadn't watched THE CAMERAMAN (1928) prior to getting the Warners set but I'm certainly glad that you like it so much. In fact, I'd personally rank it at No. 4 in Keaton's canon after THE GENERAL (1927), SHERLOCK JR. (1924) and OUR HOSPITALITY (1923). I too laughed out loud lots of times (especially when Buster trampled over that amiable chimp:)) when I watched the film on DVD...and that was my third viewing! I've often expressed myself on Chaplin so I won't go into it again here; suffice to say that Buster Keaton is not only my all-time favorite solo comedian, but I also consider him to be one of the greatest artists of the 20th Century...no kidding! However, I must say that going through that two-week stretch of back-to-back film comedy viewings (taking in Keaton, W.C. Fields, The Marx Brothers, Laurel & Hardy and Abbott & Costello) made me all the more eager to get to the 10 Chaplin titles I have in my "DVDs To Watch" pile!

"I'm actually going to take off GANGS OF NEW YORK and replace it with ON THE WATERFRONT. And yep, I will gladly send these to Joe so he can watch them. I want him to watch the early Griffith shorts on the BIRTH disc and God knows I wouldn't recommend the film as a blind buy. I might also take off CHINATOWN and replace it with an earlier noir like OUT OF THE PAST"

Well, Mike, you sure know how to pick 'em:)! For the record, I had all but given up on receiving my copy of Warners' 5-Disc "Film Noir Collection" Box Set when it found itself, unexpectedly, in my mail box at Christmas time...after more than 2 months in the mail!

"As far as A HARD DAYS NIGHT goes, too many Franco not enough musicals. Sorry, I just got a Franco double feature in the mail 5 minutes ago.

BTW Mario, where's your BARBED WIRE DOLLS review? I've been looking for it at a few places and was shocked you didn't care for it. For a WIP film, I thought it was a lot of fun. I also enjoyed SADOMANIA so perhaps that's saying something. Either way, 99 WOMEN and VENUS IN FURS should be here in a month."

Well, after being on a Jess Franco binge myself (watching 37 of his films over a period of 20 months), I'm a little worn out - I will be eventually renting VOODOO PASSION (1977) and LOVE CAMP (1977), though. Incidentally, while I was looking forward to the upcoming 2 Blue Underground releases, I'm disappointed that (apparently) 99 WOMEN (1968) is no longer a 2-Disc Set but rather 2 separate single disc editions. I already own the film on DVD-R so I don't know whether I'll be upgrading now but I guess I'll decide after reading some online reviews. Then again, VENUS IN FURS (1968) is arguably Jess' best film so, although I already have it on VHS, upgrading it to DVD is a given.

As for my reviews, Mike, I've taken a back seat from writing them for the moment for, although I had great fun doing them and discussing them on the Forums, they simply took too much of my time. Since one of my New Year Resolutions was that I get to grips with all my unwatched DVDs in 2005 (currently numbering some 278!), I hardly have time to spend hours on a review anymore. Still, I'm grateful that you looked out for them (as I do for yours on the HTF) and, if you didn't know already, you can read most of them on the IMDB user comments.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Theatrical Films watched in 2005:

January
1/7- A Very Long Engagement :star: :star: :star:
1/15- In Good Company :star: :star: :star: :star:
1/16- Bad Education :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
1/21- The Aviator :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
1/23- In Good Company :star: :star: :star: :star:
Closer :star: :star:
1/28- Million Dollar Baby :star: :star: :star:

February
2/5- The Life Aquatic :star: :star: :star:
2/6- The Wedding Date :star: :star:
2/18- Being Julia :star: :star: :star:
2/21- Constantine :star: :star:
2/23- Millions :star: :star: :star: :star:
2/26- Hitch :star: :star: :star:

March
3/1- Be Cool :star: :star: 1/2
3/4- The Merchant of Venice (2004) :star:
3/6- Inside Deep Throat :star: :star: :star:
3/7- Millions :star: :star: :star: :star:
(this time with a Danny Boyle Q&A after)
3/12- Robots :star: :star: :star:
3/19- Bride & Prejudice :star: :star: :star: :star:

April
4/2- Sin City :star: :star: :star: :star:
Fever Pitch :star: :star: :star:
4/8- Beauty Shop 1/2:star:
4/24- The Interpreter :star: :star: :star:
4/26- Hitchhiker's Guide :star: :star: :star:

May
5/7- Hitchhiker's Guide (again) :star: :star: :star:
5/10- Kingdom Of Heaven :star: :star: :star:
5/19 & 5/20- Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge Of The Sith (3 times) :star: :star: :star:
5/25- The Sea Inside :star: :star: :star:
5/30- Ocean's Twelve :star: :star:

June
6/3- Crash (2005) :star: :star: :star: :star:
6/5- Madagascar :star: :star:
6/6- Howl's Moving Castle :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
6/11- Mr. & Mrs. Smith :star: :star: :star:
6/18- Howl's Moving Castle (2nd)
Batman Begins :star: :star: :star: :star:
6/26- Mysterious Skin :star: :star: :star:

July
7/1- War Of The Worlds (2005) :star: :star: :star: :star:
7/2- March Of The Penguins :star: :star: :star:
7/3- Land Of The Dead :star: :star: :star:
7/8- Sisterhood Traveling Pants :star: :star: :star: :star:
7/15- Cinderella Man :star: :star: :star: :star:
7/16- Star Wars Ep 3: ROTS :star: :star: :star: :star:
Happy Endings :star: :star: :star:1/2
7/17- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory :star: :star: :star: :star:
7/22- Bad News Bears (2005) :star: :star: :star:
7/24- Murderball :star: :star: :star: :star:
7/26- Wedding Crashers :star: :star: :star:
7/30- Me & You & Everyone We Know 1/2 :star:- it was pathetic

August
8/1- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory :star: :star: :star: :star:
8/9- Must Love Dogs :star: :star:
8/12- The Aristocrats :star: :star: :star: :star:
8/15- The Fantastic Four :star: :star:
8/19- The 40-Year Old Virgin :star: :star: :star:
8/20- Red Eye :star: :star: 1/2
8/28- Junebug :star: :star: 1/2

September
9/3- The Brothers Grimm 1/2 :star:
9/18- Just Like Heaven :star: :star: 1/2
9/24- The Constant Gardner :star: :star: :star: :star:
9/25- The Corpse Bride :star: :star: 1/2
9/26- Serenity :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

October
10/1 & 10/8- Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
10/18- Mirrormask :star: :star:
10/24- Good Night, And Good Luck :star: :star: :star: :star:
10/27- The Exorcist (2000) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
10/30- In Her Shoes :star: :star: :star:

November
11/2- The Squid & The Whale :star: :star: 1/2
11/12- Chicken Little (in 3-D) :star: :star: 1/2
Jarhead :star: :star: :star: 1/2
11/13- Pride & Prejudice :star: :star: :star: :star:
11/20- Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire :star: :star: :star: :star:
11/24- Sarah Silverman: Jesus Is Magic :star: :star: :star:
11/27- Rent :star: :star: :star:

December
12/2- Rent :star: :star: :star:
12/3- The Polar Express (2004) IMAX 3D- :star: :star:
12/4- Capote :star: :star: :star: :star:
12/10- The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe :star: :star: :star:
12/13- Brokeback Mountain :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
12/17- King Kong (2005) :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2
12/20- The Producers (2005) :star: :star:
12/25- Munich :star: :star: :star: 1/2
12/26- Transamerica :star: :star: :star:
12/27- Syriana :star: :star: 1/2
12/29- Rumor Has It... :star: :star:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Mike - don't forget another fine science fiction film that I'd suggest for you to check out - THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Mario, in this case there was never a chance I could have borrowed the Bunuel film; the friend who owns that one is the guy who is even MORE uptight about lending out his films than I am! In his case, he'd have to bring it to the house for us to watch together during one of our Movie Nights. He was just here last week, and we went with AGONY OF LOVE and CHARLEY VARRICK.

My other film friend I haven't seen in quite a long time - he's the one who loves loaning out 10 films at a time! But I think he was a little perturbed that I didn't watch them as quickly as he'd prefer, and we haven't been exchanging anymore (I hope it's still possible). In his case I was always happy to return the favor by letting him borrow some of my DVDs too - and he actually has one of my movies for a few months already, and I have no idea when I'll get it back!

Joe Kamsan

Stunt Coordinator
Roger Dodger (2002)
1-19-05
This talky indie pic exposes the harsher truths about the mating game, but it skews the view of men/women relations towards facile and transient encounters over real relationships. Roger is one hell of a silver tongued chameleon. He's charming and charmless, I guess. Young nephew Nick wants uncle to teach him how to seduce women so the two hit the clubs of New York. There's a bit of depth in the characters here and the writing is top-notch. A lot of the film was shot on hand held camera which lends a voyeuristic feel to an already small and intimate picture. I liked this movie enough to want to watch it again, and possibly get the DVD.

** / *** ( Very Good)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I liked Roger Dodger too, though it's not a must-buy for me. It's themes are similar to the ones Neil Labute explores in his films so you may want to check those out. I think Brook is more of a Labute fan so he can give the rundown.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Touchez Pas Au Grisbi (1954)

Viewed 1/20/2005 (first viewing)

Elegant crime drama about an aging thief (Jean Gabin) who plans to retire with the loot from his last big score. Unfortunately his dimwitted partner has spilled the beans to his floozy girlfriend which leads to a violent confrontation with a would-be rival. Top-notch all the way; a must-see if you dig crime and gangster pics.

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
First time viewings in Red
Revisit from my collection in Blue
Out of :star::star::star::star::star:

Tanner 88 (1988) :star::star:1/2 (5/10)
Robert Altman’s 6 hour miniseries stands as a mocumentary on the political campaigning process, something akin to what This is Spinal Tap was to heavy metal music – though sadly Tanner is minus the laughs. I’m going to have to re-evaluate my expanding horizons selections in the future, as the payoff for this amount of time invested is just not worth it for me anymore.

Time is just too precious a commodity for me these days especially since it could be better spent on titles such as……………

Phantom Lady (1944) :star::star::star::star: (8/10)
A man wrongfully accused of murdering his wife must seek out the mysterious woman who can corroborate his alibi in this solid mystery from film-noir master Robert Siodmak (The Killers, Criss-Cross, etc.). Features one of the most atmospheric scenes set in a Jazz club. A must-buy when/if a DVD comes out.

Hopefully this makes it into Universal’s next batch of Noir titles along with the other two Ladd/Lake films & that friggin’ long awaited SE of Double Indemnity.

Act of Violence (1948) :star::star::star::star: (8/10)
Grade A film noir as war veteran Robert Ryan sets out to hunt down & kill fellow Ex-POW Van Heflin for reasons best left to the viewer to find out. Directed by ace Fred Zinnemann. Another must-buy if a DVD ever shows up.

Born To Kill (1947) :star::star::star::star: (8/10)
Psycho-killer Lawrence Tierney marries into money in this top notch noir/thriller from Robert Wise. Yet another must buy if it’s ever released on DVD

Ride the Pink Horse (1947) :star::star::star:1/2 (7/10)
Bitter war veteran tries to extort money from the man who killed his friend. Robert Montgomery directed & stars in this very good hard boiled thriller/noir set in New Mexico. I’m just not sure that I bought Montgomery as a tough guy.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Oh & thanks for the heads up on Touchez Pas Au Grisbi a.k.a. Don't Touch the Loot.

It's in my Netflix queue & I'm looking forward to it as I'm a Jean Gabin fan.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I'd have to say no.

Polls usually have have a more narrow selection, for example - asking people to rank the top & bottom films of a certain film series or genre.

i.e. ranking the Bond films, sci-fi films, Horror films etc.

Don't mind me, I'm just being cheeky. It's Friday after all. :D

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Perfectly understandable. I did buy it blind and it's one of the best blind buys I've made in awhile. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Small Back Room (1949)

Viewed 1/21/2005 (first viewing)

Mature drama about a bomb disposal expert in WWII England. Distracted by a crippling injury and bureaucratic nonsense, he must overcome these obstacles when the Germans start dropping a new kind of bomb. A lesser-known effort from Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger. Definitely worth looking for.

:star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Being a P&P production, The Small Back Room is on my lengthy too-see list.

I assume this was a R2 release?

First time viewings in Red
Revisit from my collection in Blue
Out of :star::star::star::star::star:

House of Games (1987) :star::star::star::star: (8/10)
David Mamet’s thriller has a lonely psychiatrist getting involved with a group of grifters. Intelligent story has the usual Mamet twists & turns that keeps the viewer on edge. I’ll probably be adding this to my collection in the future.

Cellular (2004) :star::star::star: (6/10)
Action/thriller starring Kim Bassinger as a kidnap victim who pieces together a broken phone & connects to a young hotshot on his cell phone. Above average entertainment but rather predictable.

French Cancan (1955) :star::star:1/2 (5/10)
Jean Renoir’s story of a theater producer who introduces a new star to the Moulin Rouge. This one probably appeals more to those who are into the performing arts/theater.

The Blue Gardenia (1953) :star::star:1/2 (5/10)
Very minor low budget murder-mystery/noir directed by Fritz Lang. This film is marred by a surprise twist which comes out of nowhere & really drags the story into absurdity. Very disappointing.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Yep.

The Virgin Spring (1960)

Viewed 1/21/2005 (first viewing)

Ingmar Bergman's dark medieval tale of a young girl raped and murdered by shepherds. On the run, they end up at her parents' house where they are invited to spend the night. When their murderous act is discovered, the father exacts a gruesome revenge. If this sounds familiar, it's because Wes Craven remade it as Last House on the Left. Not top-drawer Bergman, but the setting and the Christianity/paganism conflict give it some heft.

:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Joe Kamsan

Stunt Coordinator
After Life (Wandafuru raifu) (1998)
1-22-05
Japanese film about a group of newly deceased souls who arrive at a boarding-house and are asked to select a memory that was the most meaningful to them in life. This memory would be slavishly recreated and filmed by the counsellors and once viewed by each person, would send them to the next station in this after-life. Sounds a bit pretentious, but it really is a lovely film. The film's 'life is beautiful' theme is dealt with in such a blithe and unforced way when it could have gone the heavy-handed, didactic route. Can anyone recommend Maborosi or any other contemporary Japanese fims?

** / *** (very good)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Casque D'Or (1952)

Viewed 1/22/2005 (first viewing)

A mobster's girlfriend falls for a reformed ex-con which naturally leads to a violent confrontation. Somewhat similar to Touchez Pas Au Grisbi, though more fatalistic and set in the Belle Epoque period. Lovingly rendered by Jacques Becker; a must-see.

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Agreed on Casque D'Or, Steve. Outstanding and I will probably end up adding it to my collection. Hopefully I'll get to see Touchez Pas Au Grisbi.

I thought Maborosi was quite good, but it is a rather slow moving, moody film that takes a certain state of mind to appreciate. I never have seen Afterlife. Emory U is showing it next month and I may take it in. As for other contemporary Japanese films, I'd recommend Dolls (from Takeshi Kitano who directed the recent Zaitoichi film), and a bit older, but also highly worthwhile from Kitano are Kikujiro, Hana-bi (Fireworks), & A Scene At The Sea. (note, Kikujiro is the only one that has a decent DVD) The Twilight Samurai which was released on DVD recently, is well worth seeing. Charisma from Kiyoshi Kurosawa is a rather strange film that I don't know quite what to make of, but it is definitely thought provoking and cleverly shot. Unfortunately, that is near the extent of my knowledge of modern Japanese drama. Anything else I could recommend would be either heavy on violence or horror.

Joe Kamsan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions Brook. I have seen Twilight samurai and liked it a lot. I'm going to try to find some of those Takeshi Kitano films, saw Hana-bi years ago and enjoyed that one.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Update:

M (1931) :star: :star: :star:
Fritz Lang classic is a beautifully photographed telling of a deadly serious issue - child murder - that still retains its power today and was ahead of its time when it was made. Peter Lorre is the psychopathic killer who somehow manages to gain a small amount of sympathy for his "sickness" from the audience when he his held in front of a makeshift lynching mob at the movie's climax.

Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993) :star: :star: :star:
Due to the problems between Woody Allen and Mia Farrow at the time of production, it was Diane Keaton who was cast in her place to reunite with the Woodster and it's good to see the two of them together again in this very entertainingly offbeat tale. Keaton is a bored housewife in her New York City apartment building who becomes convinced that an elderly neigbor has killed his wife and is trying to get away with it. She turns amateur detective and tries to convince her doubtful husband (Allen) but gains an enthusiastic partner in one of Woody's friends (Alan Alda). Interesting, with a real feel for NYC. Anjelica Huston is also good, and it may be the one time I've found her visually appealing.

Stardust Memories (1980) :star: :star: :star:
A felliniesque fanatsy world where Woody Allen plays a famous film star/director very much like himself. Fed up with making comedies, the serious mid-aged auteur reluctantly agrees to be the guest of honor out at a weekend seminar where his best films are being shown. He contends with childhood flashbacks, ravenous autograph seekers, and different women on his surreal journey to self-realization. Very stylish and dream-like.

Husbands and Wives (1992) :star: :star: :star: :star:
One of the greatest films Woody Allen ever made. Probably best appreciated by middle-aged married couples who have an easier time relating to what Allen's getting at here. He dissects the longterm effects of being with the same person for a long time: infidelity, stagnation and indifference. His cast is excellent - most notably the perfect Sydney Pollack and Judy Davis, who play a bored couple on a trial separation who convince Allen and wife Mia Farrow to take a closer look at their own relationship. Juliette Lewis is very good as a 20 year old student of Woody's who becomes infatuated with her teacher. One of Allen's best performances too, where he's more reserved and not as whiny or nebbish. He actually makes us more interested in the other characters instead of himself. Effective use of hand-held camera compliments the sense of confusion. Released at the height of the Allen/Soon Yi controversy, there may be some similarities here.

Shadows and Fog (1992) :star: :star: :star:
I avoided this for years because I heard it was so terrible, but I was in for a treat. Beautifully photographed black and white tribute to the German expressionistic films of Murnau and Lang and probably Woody Allen's signature "horror" film spoof. He plays a dweeb awoken one evening by a lynch mob demanding his help in finding a Jack-the-Ripper-like serial murderer who's prowling the shadowy town. Set in no certain place or time, this very much plays as a foggy old Universal horror film, occuring in early 20th Century Germany or even London, bathed in the moonlit beauty of the night and its mysteries. Great cast in (mostly) bit parts: Kathy Bates, Lily Tomlin, Jodie Foster, John Cusack, Madonna, John Malkovich and Donald Pleasence - as a mad coroner! The scenes in the brothel are first-class, both in the scripting and the camerawork. Very different type of Allen film - a little flawed to be sure, but still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks