What's new

Track the Films You Watch (2005) (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Wuthering Heights (1939)

Viewed 1/17/2005

Superlative adaptation of Emily Bronte's novel. Laurence Olivier is a suitably grim Heathcliff and Merle Oberon is quite fetching as Cathy. Hard to imagine this ever being topped.

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

I Vitelloni (1953)

Viewed 1/17/2005

Federico Fellini's coming of age tale concerns a year in the lives of a group of young men who have yet to grow up. One, Fausto, has impregnated his girlfriend but just can't live up to his responsibilites. Another hopes to become a successful playwright. Only Moraldo is bothered by their aimlessness and it is through his detached viewpoint that we come to care about these characters. The film is fairly straightforward though it boasts the themes and (occasionally) visual flourishes that would later dominate Fellini's style.

:star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Re: VOYAGE

Why on Earth do most, if not all of these documentaries always show the endings to each movie? Chaplin, Chaney, Keaton, Allen and many others that I watched last year all gave away the ending to each film.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'll see it when I'm ready. I've got many classics for you to catch up on, too... ;)

Either way, it's more than clear to me that the many, many written and detailed plot descriptions and online analysis' for THE SEARCHERS read nothing like HARDCORE to me. That's about all I need to say on it for now, unless anyone else who's seen both can comment.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Enjoy, Mario - enjoy! :)

Me? I prefer to "List the Feature Films I watch".
Once again, there's no law. It's just something I like to do. Believe me, I watch many "shorts" and "cartoons" too. Even TV series shot on "film" as well. Just don't use them as my personal criteria on this list, is all.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

1894-1914 featured only shorts. Even after DeMille's THE SQUAW MAN, many shorts were to follow by those legendary Disney cartoons, Tom and Jerry as well as live features with legends like Chaney, Keaton, Chaplin and Lloyd. Not to mention hundreds of others. You seem to think people watch these shorts to make their totals look bigger but there's a big world of films to view between 1894 and 1914. Not to mention 37 years of silent films. If someone overlooks silents then they're missing more films than the gap between B&W and color.

Most people often forget that Disney, Tom and Jerry, Bugs, Daffy and all of those were theatrical releases. Most saw these for the first time on television and never knew they played theaters. So, since the only place to see these were theaters, they are very much theatrical films.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yes, they're theatrical shorts, no argument. I just prefer to list feature films, personally. Whatever works for you. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Mike, while I love WESTWORLD and HARDCORE, I don't consider any of those films "classics". And those are NOT the ones I'm referring to when I say you've missed many "classics" yourself. (I did recommend A HARD DAY'S NIGHT too, though - which IS indeed considered a "classic" and one you ignored mentioning, for some reason!)

And where'd you get "ZOMBIES" from?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
To fill people in, three days ago Joe and I decided to give each other five films we thought the other should view and this semi-discussion is from that.

In fact, this is something else we've often done during these "Track" lists. Anyone can recommend five films that everyone should check out and we try to do so by the end of the year.

Joe selected Hardcore, A Hard Days Night and Westworld for me and he has two more selections. For him, I selected The Birth of a Nation, Gone With the Wind, Paths of Glory, Chinatown and Gangs of New York.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Good point about My Voyage To Italy Brook. Scorcese does indeed spoil the endings of several key films. I guess I didn't really think to mention that because I was still pulled into his love of that cinema. I'd only seen a handful of the films covered before (De Sica's and Fellini's), but I still want to see those like Germany Year Zero that have been "ruined" for me. Probably more now than before. And I disagree about there not being much meat...He spends 10-15 minutes per movie in some cases and disects them by showing long scenes and discussing not only his feelings about them, but some deeper background on the filmmakers as well.

The Parallax View - Enjoyable thriller from the 70's. Though slow at times, that just adds to the suspense in some key scenes. A number of static shots that simply hold the action (or lack of it). Some great cinematography as well and I suspect there was quite a bit of influence from early German expressionism (I'm no expert, but some of the long shots later in the film of the buildings and escalators have that skewed feeling). Some plot holes that just never seem to get resolved, but overall pretty strong.

Sullivan's Travels - Sturges number 2. About halfway through I was ranking this ahead of The Lady Eve, but by the end I think it tailed behind slightly. There was some excellent banter between Veronica Lake and "Sullivan", but that slowly faded and the last half hour lost the comedic angle. I prefer the wit of the script to the broad comedy of the pratfalls in this type of film. Even with some misgivings though (with both of the Sturges films I've seen), I find myself still enjoying them and wanting to see more. Palm Beach Story should be next, though I've only found the video so far. Haven't found The Miracle Of Morgan's Creek which is the one I would like to see the most...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
First time viewings in Red
Revisit from my collection in Blue
Out of :star::star::star::star::star:

Cleopatra (1963) :star::star::star::star: (8/10)
Impressive Sword & Sandal historical Epic with fine performances by Liz Taylor, Rex Harrison & Richard Burton. Haven’t watched this since back in the 80’s on P&S VHS (needless to say it played like half the spectacle it was). The Fox DVD is a fine presentation & I’ll be adding this to my to-buy list. :emoji_thumbsup:

The Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935) :star::star::star:1/2 (7/10)
Gary Cooper stars in this adventure tale about British soldiers based along India’s frontier. Entertaining though Gunga Din this is not.

The Man Who Would Be King (1975) :star::star::star::star:1/2 (9/10)
John Huston’s tale of friendship, greed & hubris. Sean Connery & Michael Caine star as two lowly British soldiers who set out to the far off land of Kafiristan in order to conquer it & rule as kings. This one really deserves the Warner 2-disc treatment.

The Fifth Element (1997) :star::star::star:1/2 (7/10)
Luc Besson’s tribute to Heavy Metal comics from the 70’s is visually stunning though as with Starship Troopers, this is more of a guilty pleasure. Dumb fun at it’s best.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Bob, Palm Beach Story is coming on DVD in just two weeks, on Feb. 1st. I haven't seen it either, I'll probably blind buy it. I think Morgan's Creek (which is no-holds-barred crazy humor from start to finish) is supposed to out on DVD sometime this year, but I'm not sure.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Penalty (1920)

Viewed 1/17/2005 (first viewing)

Twisted revenge thriller with Lon Chaney. A young boy's legs are needlessly amputated after an accident. Years later he's grown into an evil crime boss, determined to get revenge on the surgeon who mutilated him. Surprisingly intense given its vintage, though one may consider the twist ending a cop out. The Kino DVD features an effective if somewhat overbearing score by Michael Polher.

:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

The Black Pirate (1926)

Viewed 1/17/2005 (first viewing)

Solid swashbuckler with Douglas Fairbanks. A marooned sailor infiltrates the band of pirates who killed his father. Lots of swordplay and mast-climbing ensue. Good of its type, but doesn't transcend the genre in any way. Possibly more interesting as an early exercise in Technicolor.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
White Noise (2005) :star:
A man receives messages from his dead wife via the static on his television screen. Not a very new idea, and it starts off interestingly but gradually becomes more and more convoluted. Michael Keaton is quite good though, and it's nice to see him as the star of a new film again.

Dawn of the Dead (2004) :star: :star: :star:
Good horror movie with an apocalyptic feel. Better viewed as another zombie film that just happens to have the same title as the Romero classic. It's refreshing to have the deadly zombies fast-moving and it's a welcome change from the traditional stumbling ghouls. More character development than the 1978 movie for my money, especially in the Director's Cut.

Zombies of Mora Tau :star: :star:
An unlikable group of diamond hunters search the ruins of an old sunken ship only to discover that the treasure is being guarded by the original zombified crew. Silly stuff, though Allison Hayes is on hand as another bitchy babe with the killer bod.

It! the Terror From Beyond Space (1958) :star: :star: :star:
The inspiration for ALIEN, as an Earth ship returning home from Mars discovers there's a two-legged Martian Monster on board. Despite low production values and a man in a rubber suit, this is still a lot of fun and conatins much action and perilous situations.

Agony of Love (1966) BOMB
"Agony" is right. A 60s sexploitation flick about an attractive woman battling personal demons (Pat Barrington) who feels the need to prostitute herself and consults with her shrink to discover why. Ms. Barrington has quite a figure, and her oddball clients are well-cast; but the director belabors the point. Okay, we understand she has problems ... now what?

Charley Varrick (1973) :star: :star: :star:
Walter Matthau is very good as a small-time bank robber whose latest take winds up being laundered Mafia loot! A non-PC, gritty, down and dirty '70s film that's very intriguing, and it's too bad they can't make 'em like this anymore. Joe Don Baker is a standout as a no-nonsense and abusive hitman, hot on Matthau's trail.

Broadway Danny Rose (1984) :star: :star: :star:
Woody Allen is a third-rate agent who manages a has-been Italian singer who hasn't had a hit since the 1950s. He finds more trouble when he unintentionally becomes involved with his client's mistress (Mia Farrow) who happens to be mixed in with the mob. One of Allen's lower profiled works, effectively told in flashback style, and pretty funny. Farrow is great, and the black and white photography compliments the story nicely.

Mighty Aphrodite (1995) :star: :star:
Woody Allen and young wife Helena Bonham Carter adopt a baby boy. As the child grows, Allen seeks out his birth mother and finds out she's a bimbo hooker (Mira Sorvino). This film had greater potential, but it loses its focus by centering on the prostitute and forgetting about the kid. Sorvino won an Oscar but she isn't anything special and comes off more annoying than anything else. The constant shifting to a greek chorus that narrates the story is also a big misfire.

Hollywood Ending (2002) :star: :star: :star:
A return to good comedy form by Woody Allen, and a funny film. Allen is a nervous director desperate for a hit movie who becomes psychosomatically blind and has to direct his crucial picture without being able to see. A sure-fire premise which sets the stage for great, old-time comical gags. Only problem is that it runs a bit overlong and there's a needless and unlikely reunion at the end.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

It goes without saying that I'm interested in your opinion regarding all five films Michael gave you...although I don't think it was such a good idea giving you three LONG epics at once:). Incidentally, D.W. Griffith's masterpiece, INTOLERANCE (1916) is being shown again on Italian TV next Saturday night, preceded by Carl Theodor Dreyer's similarly-structured LEAVES FROM SATAN'S BOOK (1920) which is being released on DVD by Image next April.

Anyway, if I may, I'll venture forth and suggest one title for Joe to look out for - from my own "Track The Films You Watch (2005)" list: Warners' 2-Disc Set of TCM ARCHIVES: BUSTER KEATON COLLECTION featuring the marvelous THE CAMERAMAN (1928) and the vastly underrated SPITE MARRIAGE (1929) among others. Sure, they're Silent but they're also great fun and, knowing that Michael's got it, I thought I'd suggest it so that he might include it in a future exchange with Joe.

Also, I can't believe that Michael never saw A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964) - dubbed the CITIZEN KANE of Jukebox Musicals by no less an authority than Andrew Sarris - and WESTWORLD (1973), one of my childhood favorites.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Mario - one problem is, I don't know if Mike is talking about loaning the films out. I know he said he'd let me borrow BIRTH OF A NATION, and I intend to do a blind buy of GONE WITH THE WIND myself at some point. I can't guarantee that I'd go out and buy all the films he's suggesting, though - and I wouldn't expect him to, either. There is always rental. And as you know, I have friends who have many different types of films, but the irony of that is we've stopped loaning discs out recently (I think we tended to keep the others' for too long!) :)

And I have a confession to make that I'm sure is not unique - I'm not one who feels comfortable lending my DVDs out :) - especially by mail order.
I HAVE exchanged movies with friends here at home, and even there I get kind of uneasy about it, but it's generally safer than going through the mail, and I know these friends and their habits (no offense to anyone intended).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I'm actually going to take off GANGS OF NEW YORK and replace it with ON THE WATERFRONT. And yep, I will gladly send these to Joe so he can watch them. I want him to watch the early Griffith shorts on the BIRTH disc and God knows I wouldn't recommend the film as a blind buy. I might also take off CHINATOWN and replace it with an earlier noir like OUT OF THE PAST.

As far as A HARD DAYS NIGHT goes, too many Franco not enough musicals. :D Sorry, I just got a Franco double feature in the mail 5 minutes ago. :)

BTW Mario, where's your BARBED WIRE DOLLS review? I've been looking for it at a few places and was shocked you didn't care for it. For a WIP film, I thought it was a lot of fun. I also enjoyed SADOMANIA so perhaps that's saying something. Either way, 99 WOMEN and VENUS IN FURS should be here in a month.

01/18/05

Mickey's Good Deed (1932) A

Mickey sells Pluto to get some cash so he can help some poor cats at Christmas. This is probably my favorite Mickey short up to this point. I think this is the first one where the mouse was actually NICE!!!!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Landscape After Battle (1970)

Viewed 1/18/2005 (first viewing)

A bookish young Holocaust survivor is trapped in the post-war limbo of a refugee camp. Director Andrzej Wajda (Ashes and Diamonds) paints a hellish portrait of life after the camps - the wariness with which the survivors regard their new situation, their apathy and uncertainty about how to start over. Talky, but ultimately a fascinating film.

The Yakuza Papers: Deadly Fight in Hiroshima (1973)

Viewed 1/18/2005 (first viewing)

The second chapter in Kinji Fukasaku's five part yakuza epic. The series thus far (part one, viewed last year, rates *** out of ****) isn't as engaging as Coppola's The Godfather trilogy due to its lack of intimacy. There is a multitude of characters to keep track of which can make the films hard to follow. Laconic gangster Shozo Hirono is more or less the protagonist, though he is often in the background, relegated to bit player. In this installment, a young hit man falls in love with the niece of his boss. Meanwhile things are shaken up by an ambitious mad dog gangster played by Sonny Chiba. A good, but not great, addition to the genre. Influential though, and a must-see for buffs.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Watched Raiders of the Lost Ark tonight, an old favorite that's always lots of fun, and I noticed something for the first time. When Indy and Sallah are getting the old man to translate the markings on the medallion, Indy wonders how Belloq could have any knowledge of what's on it, since there are no pictures or duplicates in existence. Sallah insists that he saw them using a duplicate of the medallion to make the calculations in the map room of where to dig. Then, they get the translation from the old man about the height of the staff, from the markings on both sides of the medallion, and they realize that since Sallah remembers Belloq's version having markings on only one side, their staff is too tall, so "they're digging in the wrong place!"

So what I noticed for the first time is the resolution of how Belloq had any knowledge of what was on the medallion in the first place, and only one side of it. At the digging site, Dietrich suggests torturing Marion to get any more info about the medallion out of her, and Belloq objects. Then we get the return of Toht, who enters with a Heil Hitler, showing the palm of his hand with one side of the medallion burned in--Belloq's source! Of course, I had never forgotten the shot of Toht's medallion-ized hand since I first saw the movie about 20 years ago, but I had never made that connection before, that this was how Belloq was able to decide where to start digging in the first place.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Speaking of Indy Jones...

Gunga Din (1939)

Viewed: 1/18/2005

Top-notch action/adventure that is as exciting as it ever was. Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. are British soldiers who take on the Thuggee cult in India. They are aided by soldier wannabe Gunga Din, the water-bearer for their company. Perfect blend of action and humor, and it's fun to spot the influences on the Indiana Jones films. It don't get no better!

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks