What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box Set (1 Viewer)

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
There's a used copy on hold (for me if I choose to take it) at a local store for $60. Now, I already own 1 and 2, so the decision to rebuy the OOP 3 disk set is even more painful. So, I'm curious about a few things.

1) Is the third "extras" disk worth it? Are the features insightful, fun, interesting ... ie, Lord of the Rings instead of say, the Matrix series extras.

2) Since this set has moved from just being a film or two to a collector's piece, am I totally undermining the collector's mentality by even hesitating an instant from picking this up?

3) $60?

4) Will there be a rerelease of this set?

I suppose this really boils 1 and 2. I wouldn't consider myself a collector persay, only one whom if interested in a particular director, would snatch up as many works as possible of said, director. Extras I couldn't care less about usually. However, sometimes I will just let myself go when the content is interesting, insightful, etc. Suppose I'm just looking for a little insight into the matter. Thanks ..

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
It is a very good 'extras' disc. However, I don't believe it is worth getting the set solely for this third disc if you already have the features; unless you sell the ones you have or give them to somebody.

Using your analogy, I feel that it falls in between the two DVDs you mentioned in terms of informative extras.

A good description of this disc appears here.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I believe you can sell 1&2 for about $60 on Ebay, so the 3rd disc wouldn't cost you anything...

David Galindo

Screenwriter

Disney has put these films "in the vault." They do not re-release the films for 10 years (bare minimum) once they are in the vault. I think there's still 6-7 years to go.

I own the UTB, and believe me, $60 is a great price. You get some great commentaries and bonuses for the first two films, as well as the great 3rd disc (which is a lot like the Monster's Inc 2nd disc- in terms of content). But since you own the first two...well, I do think it is worth it. The third disc has TONS of still art and images, which is good or bad depending if you like that stuff.

I'd give it a go, if you have the extra cash.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
$60 isn't too bad. I bought it new for under $50, but i was lucky. I echo the comments of others that this is a must-have.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
They've broken the "in the vault" time limitation before.

But yeah, we probably won't see a reissue until the next format.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Also, I don't think that if you own the first 2 single disc issues, that you're getting the first 2 discs in the set. if I remember right, the single disc issues weren't barebones, but weren't exactly packed, either.

The movie discs in the box have director commentaries, some galleries, I think a couple docs, the short films, isolated sound effects tracks and trailers. I think the single disc releases of the movies simply have the trailers, the short films and the movie.

I'd get the box.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
yeah, here we go:

Toy Story: single disc extras:

Academy Award®-Winning Short: Tin Toy
French & Spanish Language Tracks on Toy Story
Anamorphic Widescreen

Toy Story : single disc extras:

Luxo Jr Short Film
Outtakes
Anamorphic Widescreen

Toy Story: Box Set extras:

Audio Commentary By The Filmmakers
Widescreen (1.77:1) - Enhanced For 16x9 Televisions
The Making of Toy Story
On-Set Interviews
Academy Award® - Winning Short: Tin Toy
Toy Story Treats
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins Preview

I'm not sure, but I think a effects only track is on this disc, too.

Toy Story 2: Box Set extras:

Widescreen (1.77:1) - Enhanced For 16x9 Televisions
Academy Award® - Winning Short: Luxo Jr.
Outtakes
Monsters Inc. Sneak Peek
Audio Commentary
Music - Only Track
Effects - Only Track

So yeah, you're getting more by getting the box set, even without the 3rd disc.

Edward Kok

Auditioning
Hello, I think UTB is really really good.

And u get a pretty spiffy case to boot.

But since u mentioned u did own TS 1 and 2... the extras discs might not be worth the money.

I mean how many of us do watch extras repeatedly let alone use it to show off our home theater equipment.

Well Disney might have deep sixed it in the vault apparently.... but who knows for sure it might be re-released when a spanking new format comes out e.g. HD-DVD? etc? I mean , when money is there to be made, its sure to follow.

Juz my 2 cents peeps.

nevertheless, i never regretted my purchase of the UTB for like $40 singapore dollars... thats around $25 US dollars. was very lucky. try ur luck at online auctions. whu knows u might get lucky? all the best!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Disney has put these films "in the vault." They do not re-release the films for 10 years (bare minimum) once they are in the vault. I think there's still 6-7 years to go."

There are no rules as to when Disney re-releases their titles. I wish there were. It would make the constant specualtion a lot easier to answer. Peter Pan sure wasn't "in the vault" very long before an SE was released. An SE of Lilo and Stitch is on the way. Even God has probably forgotten how many times Mary Poppins has appeared on DVD, with a new version on the way this XMas.

If "ten years" was the standard for Platinum Titles, we wouldn't be seeing re-issues of Lady and the Tramp, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, The Jungle Book, and 101 Dalmatians until the end of the decade. All fof these will be re-issued in the Platinum format by the end of 2007.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there something about, when Disney doubled the rate at which they release their Platinum titles, they were also reducing the vault to 5 years?
Or am I wrong?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Reissue of the Toy Box set as is also depends on the future relationship between Disney and Pixar.

This also reminds me of the Fantasia Box with Roy Disney all over it...

Cheers,

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Wasn't there something about, when Disney doubled the rate at which they release their Platinum titles, they were also reducing the vault to 5 years? Or am I wrong?"

The whole moratorium thing has always been (to quote Captain Barbosa), more of a guideline, not a rule. The release schedule changes according to the marketplace, anyone who tells you they know definitively what is going to be released in say, 2006 or 2007, is really only making an educated guess.

The Disney Platinum titles were supposed to be rolled out one at a time, one per year, all the way to 2009 or so, but it was decided to pump it up to two titles a year, and some new titles were added to the Platinum lineup. Confusing? Sure. But give Disney another couple of years, and they'll come up with yet another plan. When HD-DVD is introduced, we can start this all over again.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I remember they released Pinochio on VHS about a decade ago and marketed it with the tagline that it wouldn't be available for another milennium. Disney went ahead and released it on DVD in 1999. They couldn't even wait a few more months. :)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Will, I'm gonna have to say THANKS A LOT for bringing up this thread and making me wish I had picked them up in the first place. :frowning: ;) Guess I'll see if I can find them somewhere. I'll try the used shops before I go at amazon.com used or whatever...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks