What's new

Toy Story 1&2 into the Disney Vault (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I wonder if they will lower the MSRP on these sets to sell a bunch of them before they're (temporarily) discontinued? That sure would be nice on the ol' pocket book.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
The UTB is simply amazing. Too bad about Disney's vault garbage though.... I've got a non-anamorphic barebones dvd edition of The Little Mermaid which isn't being re-released until 2008. THANKS DISNEY!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
$25 is the "Toy Story Two-Pack"

The last time Toy Story went into the vault, it was about 5 years before it came back out.

Peter Pan has been vaulted again as well. Platinum means a mandatory 10 year absence. Guess the average on the "vaulted" titles will be 2-5 years

Brenton

Screenwriter
Here's why: when I see this commercial that tells me that Toy Story is going into the vault, I say "HOLY CRAP! I have to go buy Toy Story." So I go buy Toy Story. Then they just sold me a movie that I would have otherwise held off buying for who-knows-how-long.

Unfortunate, but it works, because I'm definitely going to pick up the UTB.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
It sucks, but it's going to work with me, too. I'm going to hunt for UTB and possess it before that evil vault swallows it up. I'll see what I can find on ebay perhaps..

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Excellent idea to put stuff like Toy Story into the vault. Then we can concentrate on other excellent stuff from Disney like Treasure Planet. ;)

I personally think Disney would be far better off concentrating more on improving the quality of its movies and less on manipulating the market of products for children.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
I've been watching threads on this topic for a while and want to throw in my 0.02c

I've purchased the disks of UTB, the Ultimate Groove and Collectors editions of Tarzan and Dinosaur and keep these in good condition (there are no full time children at my home...)

OK, so Disney are going to Vault some of their titles but when they come out of the Vault again, even if they were to put them out as super new editions, do they seriously expect me to re-purchase them?

Now that I have them in their OAR and on a non-degrading format (OK, so they might rot but...), I'm gonna hang on to these for the foreseeable future.

Since the DVD format is now well and truly established, it's going to be very hard to introduce a new disk based format that is not backwards compatible with the SD DVD's of today.

I just wonder if the Vault is a good strategy with these developments...

Andy_MT

Second Unit
given disneys current finances, i would have thought they needed titles like these out there in the market for the DVD new comers to pick up as well as those who haven't already, but were planning to.

unless this vault thing is just temporary (eg 1 year), then they'll re-market. but this term "vault" sounds more long term.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
In the old days, Disney would take their classic films off theatrical distribution for about 7 years each time. This ensured that a new generation of kids would have the opportunity to see the film and they could use their marketing expertise to hype the product. No other motion picture company has ever been as successful as Disney in selling old product as new. That being said, the video business may also be similar. Run the product until it shows signs of softening sales and then discontinue it. This builds up anticipation for a new generation of kids to eventually see a film when another format (HD?) dominates in the future. It's worked for them in the past so I think they'll continue to put the A titles in the vault from time to time.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Too bad about Disney's vault garbage though.... I've got a non-anamorphic barebones dvd edition of The Little Mermaid which isn't being re-released until 2008. THANKS DISNEY!
Of course, I've loved the Vault strategy ever since the time I traded a ratty VHS tape of The Little Mermaid with a torn cover for a brand-new copy of the Schindler's List LD boxed set, and then re-bought Mermaid just under a year later. :D

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
Since the advent of DVD there are two entities that have lost almost 100% of my respect: George Lucas and WALT DISNEY (not the man). Disney has become the Barnum and Bailey of this generation. Going into a vault??? Take this vault and shove it!

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if the Disney Vault is an actual physical vault that they actually put the discs into, or if it's just figurative and they actually BURN the discs in a big bonfire (the happiest bonfire on earth).
You may think you know the location of the vault. And maybe you do. Or maybe that's a decoy. Or a "dummy vault". Only Michael Eisner, myself, and Walt will know for sure.

It's all part of Disney's strategery. :p)

Thang_N.

Stunt Coordinator
I spoke to a Manager at Media Play in regards to this issue with Disney putting their movies in a "vault," what was interesting was that he said Disney requires that they send the movies that will be going back in the vault back to Disney, and if they continued to sell the movie after the date, they would be penalized by disney, he didn't say what kind of penalty, but he did say they have to ship all the copies back to Disney, so they can put it in "THE VAULT" 46-left-12-right-13-left.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks