What's new

Toss old TV and get new one? (1 Viewer)

Kevin N

Stunt Coordinator
This is kind of a complicated story, and thanks to anyone who goes through it.

Feb of '03 I moved, and something happened with the convergence on my nearly 4 year old Mits 55" TV. I had someone repair it and it worked fine for 10 months, but the convergence is out on it again. I called a local repair shop that's Mits authorized and they said they'll need to pick it up for $75 and run diagnostics on it. Beyond that pickup fee, they said that more than likely the chip that handles convergence is fried, and replacing it and repairing the set will run about $350. He said that there's a small possibility that the convergence board is fried, and in that case, it'll set me back about $1200.

I'm going to have to make kind of a quick decision once I find out what the problem is. If it's $1200, I'm thinking of scrapping the set and getting a WD-52525, or a similair $2000-2500 set.

What would you do in that situation? I'm just afraid of spending $1200 to get this thing repaired, and then a year down the line, it breaks again. Any thoughts?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well, for 1,200 I'd would give it up at this point. Here's the opportunity to update your set for a few hundred more. Depending how much you want to add you can get a CRT-RPTV or DLP to LCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks