What's new

Tosh 57H83 Questions...HELP!!!! (1 Viewer)

JohnSni

Grip
I recently purchased this TV after much lurking on this site...as such, I feel the forum is honor bound to answer my questions....

1. I know this TV upconverts 480i DVD info to 540p (or 1080i if I so choose). What about DirecTV non HD material...this is 480i right? Is it upconverted - what to? I run my Zenith STB SAT520 via DVI to the Tosh.

2. ESPN is broadcast in 720p and this format is displayed on my STB...is this signal converted? I think my TV can handle the 720p scan rate, right? This picture looks great but not quite as good as a 1080i HD picture.

3. This one really bothers me.....network broadcasts that I pick up OTA via my SAT520 (in the HiDef band) are in 4:3, however, the picture claims to be 1080i and it LOOKS 1080i, but clearly this isn't HD as it would be in 16:9 and 5.1 audio...so why does my Zenith claim the signal is a 1080i signal? Why does it look so much better than satellite? Is my stretching of satellite non ND programming killing my picture quality?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
1. I'm not sure how the Toshiba reacts to DVI digital video signals, and whether it still gives you the full range of options as via the analog inputs. Check your manual.

2. Although the Toshiba will accept a 720p signal, it will convert it to 1080i as it only has one scan rate. FYI 540p and 1080i use the same scan frequency, that's why the option is available. Use the 540p mode for 480i and 480p signals only, however. Some early CRT rear projectors had the ability to accept and display both 720p and 1080i signals natively, but manufacturers found it easier to make their sets only accept 1080i (cheaper too). There are only a handful left that display 720p outside of 1280 x 720 digital fixed pixel displays.

3. Some 4:3 standard definition programming coming through a designated HD channel have been upconverted (scaled) to 720p or 1080i and are not truly high definition (depending on the quality of the scaler used by the broadcaster, it may look a little better than a non-upconverted 480i feed). It depends on the broadcaster whether or not they add a stretch to the 4:3 frame to make it fill the 1.78:1 (16x9) HDTV frame, or add black or gray bars on the sides of the picture to maintain the OAR.

Dan

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
A slight degression......

what is the differnece in these two models of Toshiba

57H83 and 57HX83....? I dont seem to see the difference.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
1) 480i input is always converted and displayed at 1080i. 480p input has the option of 540p or 1080i conversion.

2) Some set-top boxes will pass through the native resolution of the broadcast, while others will convert to a single output resolution. Your box will have options for this (1080i/720p/'native' selections in most cases). I don't know your box, so I don't have your answer.

3) Those network shows are broadcast looking exactly that way - a 4:3 image within a widescreen HDTV signal. The black bars are actually part of the broadcast image. Since the set-top and TV 'see' only an HD signal, they give you no option to stretch or expand the image.

JohnSni

Grip
Kumar, the HX83 is the upgraded version of the H83...I think its called the CineSeries. It has 5 guns instead of 3 and some other goodies that were unproven, so I chose to go with the H83.

John, Touche and thanks for the advice. I wasn't about to go to GTA to buy my television, but if I would've I certainly would've purchased it from you.

I actually noticed last nite that when my DVD player was in interlaced, that changing the 1080i or 540p on my monitor had no effect on the picture, leading me to believe that it upconverts everything to 1080i...thanks for reinforcing that.

Further, I also noticed that playing an animated movie, in this case The Prince of Egypt, that having the DVD in progressive and displaying in 1080i gave the best picture....wierd.

Maybe I should've gotten then Denon DVD player...alot of people are beating up the Pioneer Elite 45a....maybe I made a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks