What's new
World Wide Stereo

DVD Recorder - Technical Questions (1 Viewer)

JohnSni

Grip
I'm considering buying one of these and I have some questions.

1. Does everyone agree that buying the model with the HDD is worth the extra $$?

2. Some have Component IN and OUT....I thought these babies could only record in 480i? Will running these through component instead of S-Vid really help that much?

3. Can they record (and playback) 5.1 audio? The one I looked at had Digital Audio (Coax and Optical), tho I can't remember if it was in, out or both.

4. How would I hook this up? My DirecTV is via a Zenith Sat-520 box running to my Tosh 57H83 via DVI-HDCP. I don't have another video output when in this mode....any ideas?

5. If digital audio capable (see #3) I have another problem as my receiver has two (1 optical and 1 coax) and they are being used by 1-DVD and 2-STB(Directv). Is there a switcher available? One that's operable via remote?

I think that until we get HD combined with DVD-R, combined with HDD combined with TiVo combined with Directv its just a waste of time....your thoughts?

728x90

Bob Bre

Auditioning
1. Does everyone agree that buying the model with the HDD is worth the extra $$?
John, I had to ask myself this question, also. If I am wrong, somebody please tell me. If you ever want to make a second copy of a disc you create, you'll need another player that will read an R/RW, or RAM disc back to your recorder. Unless it's a newer DVD player that reads the format (Very few read RAM) you are using, you will have to repeat the process over as you did when you made the first one. Also, the individual discs only hold an hour or two of the best picture quality. The hard drive will give you more editing options and store several hours. Some formats (I think -RW) are limited when adding more content. It's not like a VCR tape where you can start where you left off. I am going with a minimum 80 GB, but still can't decide what player. Good Luck!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think that until we get HD combined with DVD-R, combined with HDD combined with TiVo combined with Directv its just a waste of time....your thoughts?
I certainly don't find it a waste of time. I'm able to archive all sorts of things in a form much more convenient and durable than tape.

M.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Does everyone agree that buying the model with the HDD is worth the extra $$?
After spending a few months using a Panasonic DMR-E80 recorder with its 80GB hard drive, I could not imagine using a recorder without such a feature. My reasons (some mentioned above):
  1. Eliminates lost recordings due to defective media
  2. Allows for editing of program material
  3. Much simpler for making multiple copies of recordings[/list=1]

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
How does the editing work? Is it easy to, for example, edit out the commercials from two episodes of a show and burn them onto a disc?

//Ken

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Editing is quite simple. The E80 has a feature called "shorten segment", where the video plays in a window on your display. You simply mark the start and end points of the section you want to eliminate, and the E80 removes the segment. You can remove multiple segments from a single editing session, thereby removing all commercials (or whatever you want to edit out).

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Editing is quite simple. The E80 has a feature called "shorten segment", where the video plays in a window on your display. You simply mark the start and end points of the section you want to eliminate, and the E80 removes the segment. You can remove multiple segments from a single editing session, thereby removing all commercials (or whatever you want to edit out).

That sounds almost as good a a pc based system. At least I could dump important contents onto a DVD-R and rip them to HD on my PC later when wanting to edit, add sfx, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TThomps
Recent bookmarks