What's new

Tosh 50HDX82 vs Sony KP51WS500 (1 Viewer)

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, time for much needed advice once again, this time in the TV arena. Been hitting the local B&M's and have narrowed my search down to 2 contenders.

The Sony KP51WS500 and
The Toshiba 50HDX82

From what me eyes tell me they are almost both identical, I have seen the stretch modes on both, the Tosh seems to have a slight edge, but I don't plan on stretching alot of material anyway.

But my one major concern came up today trolling the forum for info. It seems that the Toshiba doesn't natively support 480p and up converts it to 540, where the Sony does not. Also according to the manual for the Sony it supports 720p, where the Toshiba also up-converts it to 1080i. I have yet to see what the up-conversion does, but around here popular belief is that some artifacts may show up. What exactly would I be looking at? Graininess? Blurry? Not exactly sure the proper definition of artifact.

Now I am not sure how big an issue up-conversion is , but what do all of you Sony/Tosh owners think?

Also any other flaws/greatness that either exhibits over the other, or that they both have. Besides the Flicker thing in the Pegasus guns.

Thanx in advance, any and all help welcome.

BTW, majority of TV watching is DVD and Video Games.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
The 51ws500 down converts 720p to 480p. I don't know what the Tosh does. It isn't an issue for me because my STB side converts everything to 1080i.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, come on now guys, I know alot of you here have either of these TV, no need to be so shy. ; )

Kris

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
I've seen too many manufacturing issues with the Sony WS500 to consider purchasing one...

Too bad, because I think its a beautiful set...

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 50H82. Don't forget the stretch mode test. I like the Toshiba stretch modes better than Sony, but that's my two cents.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Trenton,

What kind of manufaturing issue? So far I only know about the bad CRT's, but I understand that both Toshiba and Sony use the same guns. What other issues are there?

KC

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
I was referring to the green tint/flickering issues documented widely on the Sony model.

I actually purchased a Mitsu WS-55411 tonight....A bit more money, but I think I made the right choice for longevity and proven tech. I just didn't feel right making this kind of investment in something with such a 'what-if' and uncertainty factor. Same reason I bypassed the Panasonic 53" and the spiffy new RCA Scenium 52"...

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I could find a Mits dealer here in frigid Manitoba, Canada. Don't think they are available here. ; (

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I have an older 42" Toshiba, love it, and don't consider the upconversion to be an issue. FWIW.

Jan

Kyle P

Grip
I have a 30" 13 year old tosh and it never saw service. So I went out and bought the 57HDX82 in october. It has been wonderful so far. I looked at most of the competitive sets and the thing that sold me was the way the Tosh displayed standard cable and it's strech modes. I think all of the big manufacturers make decent sets though. BTW I set out to buy a compareable Hatachi so I wasn't hell bent on buying a tosh. I will get the set ISFed soon.

Paul Pratt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Pratt
Howdy,
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that the Sony and the Toshiba used the same guns. From the research that I've done and selling the Sony myself at Best Buy (I work full time in the home theater department) the Toshiba HDX is the Cinema series and uses a wide CRT gun instead of a round CRT gun. I'm not completely sure if the Sony is round, but thats what I've been told.

Maybe someone could help me out there...

Anywho. From most of the stuff I've seen at Best Buy and have learned myself is that Sony usually makes a fantastic video product, but the stuff has a higher rate of failure because it's built like crap, But again video is where Sony shines so it's not as bad.

Toshiba onyl concentrates on two things: Computer Products and Video/Imaging products. Sony is just all over the consumer electronics map. I would probably go for the Toshiba Cinema Series 50" if I was in your shoes. I hope that helps some.

Kris,

Be aware of the burst/flicker issue that some HDX series owners are reporting on hometheaterspot.com. Check out the Toshiba forum. You definitely want to make an informed buying decision and I know that for me personally I would have liked to have known about this issue before purchasing my 42hdx82. So far I dont have any flicker (and hope to never have any!) but it is something to be aware of. Good luck!

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Damn, the Toshiba has a flicker problem too? That stinks, I just got the CRTs replaced for my Sony.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
The 50HDX82 was on my short list until I saw the thread over at THE SPOT (as Jim said above) where over twenty different recent buyers of the HDX line have reported a burst/flicker problem. Granted, ONLY THOSE that have problems tend to post, but it still was alarming to me; at a local Tweeters store the saleperson told me what I discovered for myself that there has been a problem with the Toshiba line--mainly the HDXs and to avoid them. I was disappointed to say the least... until I heard about and witnessed the Pioneer line... It's just like buying a car; you love how it rides and how it looks, but there have been some recalls/repairs needed of that model car, would you still roll the dice and buy it? Most sets have small problems I guess(I wouldn't call the HDX problem small), but the thread at TheSpot was revealing--to me anyway--and as it turns out, a blessing in disguise.

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks