What's new

Pre-Order Top Secret! (1984) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Agreed! I came very close to importing TOP SECRET but fortunately, it was available digitally in HD pretty early on.

There are a number of Paramount titles I had to import years back fearing they would never see the light of day. Offhand, PAPER MOON is a title that I imported that's still not announced here (though it is available on digital).

I do think that Paramount will release all the titles that were only available by import. Just have to wait things out.
I get you, but at 68 years of age, I'm over it, LOL!! Paramount, and the other studios need to go big or go home!! Or maybe they're just witing for us to die and go total digital, hummm?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I get you, but at 68 years of age, I'm over it, LOL!! Paramount, and the other studios need to go big or go home!! Or maybe they're just witing for us to die and go total digital, hummm?

I think Paramount is going BIG right now. Over the past two years, they have been releasing a wealth of catalog titles. Not only that, but they have been releasing a lot of "B" titles that most people never thought would see the light of day.

I have said this elsewhere, but their release strategy will involve putting out their "A" releases but it's not going to be done all at once. They are going to strategically time those releases. The reason they are so far behind other studios is that they were so hesitant, for so many years, to release their catalog library fearing lackluster sales.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Should just put out a box set of all the top Zucker and Abrahams spoof films on Blu-ray:
Airplane!
Top Secret
Naked Gun films
Hot Shots films
And... maybe BASEketball?

Can't see how that wouldn't be a huge seller.

We can dream, I guess, but since they're owned by different studios they're unlikely to come together in one package. The Hot Shots! films are Fox/Disney, BASEketball is Universal, the others are Paramount.

Throw in Ruthless People, and I’m in!
Agreed, but this is also a Disney title. One of the great mysteries to me is why Disney has never released many of their biggest Touchstone comedies of the 80's on blu-ray. I guess we know their aversion to releasing most catalog titles, but these are popular comedies that people would want: Ruthless People, Outrageous Fortune, Down & Out in Beverly Hills, Stakeout (the sequel has been released on blu-ray, but not the original).

A few of the lesser titles have been licensed to others, like Mill Creek and Kino (Big Business, Another Stakeout, Mafia!, Scenes from a Mall), but the most popular Touchstone titles have never been issued on blu-ray.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have the release and it's definatly a step up from the DVD that I had...just saying, you get tired of waiting for the US to step up and release thier own material. Having a nice multi regional player is a godsend!!
The Australian release is region-free but I get where you’re coming from.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I love the film, but the transfer on the Aussie release is pretty godawful, so I have to hope it's not just a US release of said same.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I love the film, but the transfer on the Aussie release is pretty godawful, so I have to hope it's not just a US release of said same.
Maybe you just got a bad disc? Mine is fine and a whole lot better than the DVD was...
Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Uh-oh - looks like every Paramount blu-ray, which isn't in their "Paramount Presents" series, is rubbish. Blu-ray.com has slaughtered the video quality (although the reviewer is Martin Leibman, who gave the 4K UHD of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 5/5 for picture quality). No one else seen this yet?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Uh-oh - looks like every Paramount blu-ray, which isn't in their "Paramount Presents" series, is rubbish. Blu-ray.com has slaughtered the video quality (although the reviewer is Martin Leibman, who gave the 4K UHD of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 5/5 for picture quality). No one else seen this yet?
That shouldn't disqualify his opinion on this particular Blu-ray release as several people think the 4K disc of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance looks great on their display. I'm sure this Blu-ray is derived from the same old source as my iTunes HD digital that I purchased three years ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does that iTunes HD digital purchase look horrible?
I think your definition of "horrible" is a little more critical than mine. I think the HD digital looks mediocre similar to the "Sons of Katie Elder" HD digital and Blu-ray.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Damn. I was hoping they'd finally give it some proper respect.

Not a lot of hope, but hope, nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks