What's new

Pre-Order Star Trek III: Search for Spock (1984) 40th Anniversary (4k UHD Steelbook) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71xqia4J2eL._SL1500_.jpg

PREORDER SHOULD BE LIVE SHORTLY

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I love it, but it would just seem odd having the super deluxe version of this and basic editions of the 2, and 4 on my shelf.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Very peculiar indeed. If Paramount is going to go back the well and offer us a triple dip of UHD goodness, they should release steelbook editions of ALL the movie releases. Unless there’s an audio / visual upgrade above the 4K disc I currently own, this will be a hard pass.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Worst movie of the original 6. The new Savak was horrible, the ending was incredibly boring and drawn out, and Nimoy’s direction was not up to professional levels yet. Many will say 5 was the worst, but at least that had more action from start to finish than 3

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Honestly, I would have bought steelbooks of each of the original 10 features, but if the disc content is going to be the same, it's hard to justify.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Worst movie of the original 6. The new Savak was horrible, the ending was incredibly boring and drawn out, and Nimoy’s direction was not up to professional levels yet. Many will say 5 was the worst, but at least that had more action from start to finish than 3

I have a soft spot for V, but I don't think there's any rational argument against it being objectively the worst of all the Star Trek movies.

To each their own, but I think you're a little hard on III. Frankly, I think IV is worse. I know it's one of the most popular and beloved among fans, but I like that one less every time I watch it, to the point now that I can only barely tolerate it.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I have a soft spot for V, but I don't think there's any rational argument against it being objectively the worst of all the Star Trek movies.

To each their own, but I think you're a little hard on III. Frankly, I think IV is worse. I know it's one of the most popular and beloved among fans, but I like that one less every time I watch it, to the point now that I can only barely tolerate it.
I understand your point about V. When I first saw it in the theaters, I was amazed at how bad it was. But then I got it on LD not long afterwards, and between the surround sound (which the previous movies lacked), and a newfound respect for some of the deeper scenes (revisiting pain from the past), I liked it more and more. I have to say, III has done nothing for me since its release.

As for IV, I can definitely agree with you. It hasn’t aged well. But it’s still a lighthearted affair, with some enjoyable scenes. II and VI are the high water marks of the movies.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If the trend of using teaser art continues, in 5 years you can buy the Star Trek V steel book with this image.

seatbelt.jpeg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Very peculiar indeed. If Paramount is going to go back the well and offer us a triple dip of UHD goodness, they should release steelbook editions of ALL the movie releases. Unless there’s an audio / visual upgrade above the 4K disc I currently own, this will be a hard pass.

When this was first announced, I asked myself "Why this particular movie and not the others." The answer was obvious, though: it's the 40th anniversary of this movie.

This isn't high on my list of Trek films, but at least it's more watchable (for me; YMMV) than IV or V. Christopher Lloyd and John Larroquette as Klingons is worth the door charge alone. But I'm happy enough with just I, II, and VI for TOS films.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Wish we could get a Special edition of "Star Trek III" that updated some of the less-than stellar FX like the warp-speed scenes and the obviously fake snow in the scene where David and Saavik discover the regenerated Spock, and fixed some of the dialogue (esp. the "Enterprise is *twenty* years old" line)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wish we could get a Special edition of "Star Trek III" that updated some of the less-than stellar FX like the warp-speed scenes and the obviously fake snow in the scene where David and Saavik discover the regenerated Spock, and fixed some of the dialogue (esp. the "Enterprise is *twenty* years old" line)
AFIAK the director of STIII didn't express major concerns with the end result. Which is what happened with TMP.

I believe the the response the "new" sfx for ST-Classic was not overwhelming (apparently especially for the DVD-HD version).

That's not to say CBS wouldn't do it --possibly for Paramount+ ...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The steelbook looks nice, but I prefer the original art on the regular individual releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks