What's new

Tonight Show "Vault" Series-Some Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
But if the story regarding what happened to Carson's NY decade is true, then that was not a case of conventional wisdom of higher-ups wanting to recycle tapes. In this case, the NY decade was on tapes that were now obsolete in the early 70s and *couldn't* be recycled and it all came down to a clash between the building manager of the Burbank studio wanting office space and wanting to pitch them out, whereas Carson and DeCordova wanted all those tapes preserved and why Carson, after discovering what happened, was adamant about making sure he had full ownership of what was left in addition to everything going forward.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have not purchased any of the Vault Series DVD's but from what I have read about them, the shows contain the original commercials from when the shows first aired, those commercials would be interesting to see.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
You won't see anymore DVD releases of Carson material. All you can get now is short extended material on the Carson YT channel (though they did put up the complete New Year's Eve 1982 show with Tina Turner performing recently). The clips have been good and that's really the best we can expect from now on.
Sad, there are so many great shows-anything with Johnny!
In the 50s/60s/70s Video tape, especially quad tape (which was the primary format in those years), was very expensive. The reason it was used over film is that it's reusable which makes the ROI very good. If they really wanted to keep those broadcasts they'd have used film. Video tape is easy to use, easy to store, has good enough quality, and can be reused many times making it very cost effective. A single use is *not* cost effective and why programs produced on video tape were regularly wiped. It's partially a lack of foresight - but most producers just didn't see any reuse possibilities of their programs, whether sitcom, drama, or other, and you'll often find that even film copies of shows were destroyed due to that lack of foresight. A show like The Tonight Show, something that's highly topical, is one that's easy to understand being erased. Sure, you might keep a few for posterity but keeping them all? Nonsense... who'd ever want to rewatch those, especially in 5-10 or more years.

So... "NBC" *might* regret it but I'd bet not. There's not enough money to be made vs. how much it'd have cost to archive those shows for decades.
Yes many of the shows have commercials, and you can opt to watch them or not watch them.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi all,

I guess it comes down to whether or not the celebrities themselves, wanted ownership of their videotaped shows.
I’ve seen shows videotaped in color from the late 50’s early 60’s that look spectacular.
Some of which include… Dinah Shore, Milton Berle, Ernie Ford and Red Skelton.
These are shows that were saved by the above mentioned, themselves.

John

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Anyone remember Dr. Irwin Maxwell Stillman who was a regular occasional guest on the Tonight show? Kind of a goofy guy who had out a best selling diet book. He was a great comic foil for Johnny.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes!

And then there was pediatrician Dr. Lendon Smith...who Johnny always referred to as a "little baby doctor." :D

And, of course, Johnny's own personal physician--Dr. Vinnie Boombotz (borrowed from Rodney Dangerfield).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Watched the 1975 episode with Bert Mustin, David Brenner, Sean Connery and Michael Caine this week in Blu-ray this week.This episode was rescued on home video tape, probably Beta.
It’s lucky it was saved because it’s a great show.
Incidentally, I always watch these shows with the original commercials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks