What's new

Tonight Show "Vault" Series-Some Thoughts (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Mike Frezon said:
Here are those screen grabs. They'll get bigger if you click on them:

gallery_286742_34_2283676.jpg
That NBC peacock at the top left: albeit my most favorite of that network's logos will always be the Proud N of 1979-86, the original peacock of 1956-75 was very well done for its time, IMO.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There's another download available now.

9-7-1983.

Guests: Betty White, Shirley MacLaine and Grant Colfax.

Price $5.99

Interesting note: While this is described as Digital Download - Volume 2...the URL for the link says "Volume 3."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I also found this posted in their new blog section:

We're also putting the finishing touches on a new DVD series due for release in May. Following the format of the Vault Series, the releases will contain full shows with some of our most frequent and treasured guests.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well nice to know DVD releases are continuing since I wondered if this digital series might replace that but its clear that these digital downloads have taken the place of the freebie YT uploads which clearly they didn't like doing (but they've at least left the ones they did do in place)

I'm not paying for that 83 show at this time since any 60 minute show from the 80s IMO represents Carson in decline for the most part.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I hope that they don't put any of the "digital download" episodes on this upcoming new line of Vault-like DVDs. If they do, and fans had to choose whether to double-dip or not (after already buying downloads), there'll be a lot of grumbling (and justifiably so).

This is just speculation on my part, but maybe, just maybe, they're putting all of the "music-heavy" shows into download-only area and are reserving the DVD sets for shows that have minimal clearance issues? If so, this is probably the best compromise: as the wording in their FAQ section notes, the prices on downloadable shows depends on how much the music clearances are for that particular show. Maybe instead of chopping down episodes to stick on the DVDs as extras, they'll leave them more-or-less alone and make them an $8.99-11.99 download instead.

Here's that text for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

The price of each show is based on length of the show as well as licensing fees associated. Each show is available in MPEG-4 video format. Most shows from the 1960's - May 1980 are 1 hour and 15-25 minutes long after May 1980 the shows clock in at around an hour. Shows will range from $4.99-11.99 per show. The cost will be determined by how many musical performances are included and need to be licensed. (example a show with 3 song performances costs more to license than a show with 1 song and therefore would cost more to produce and download)

Now, I wonder what are the chances of any of the "guest host" shows being made available through DVD (highly unlikely) or via download? Still slim to none? Maybe downloads are the way to make at lease some of those seemingly impossible ones available? And again, maybe they think making those available weakens the "Johnny" brand.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any Bill Cosby ones for sure, though.

I just hope them giving us the benefit of the doubt ("honor system") by making them DRM free lasts. If a bunch of these end up getting pirated on eBay (and elsewhere) again (as they did with the previous VHS vault tapes), they're likely to discontinue this service, just as they did with the VHS tapes (or slap DRM restrictions on them). Please, guys, don't pirate these!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Another digital download went up today, presumably in honor of David Letterman as he's a featured guest. It's the 2/27/81 show.

Also, they've discounted the 12-volume Vault set to $75. Naturally, a couple of weeks after I'd already bought it!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ there you are! I was waiting for find you on here. Over the weekend I was watching the Columbo episode with Dick Van Dyke playing a double murder suspect (how's that for a stretch) and this honey shows up as his secretary! Took me a bit to figure out where I'd seen her! It's Andy McKinney! and.. All mighty Isis-isissssisssisss... :) Doesn't mean anything, but it was funny when I finally had it hit me who she was. 1974 I think, and she was stunning on that.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
^^ there you are! I was waiting for find you on here. Over the weekend I was watching the Columbo episode with Dick Van Dyke playing a double murder suspect (how's that for a stretch) and this honey shows up as his secretary! Took me a bit to figure out where I'd seen her! It's Andy McKinney! and.. All mighty Isis-isissssisssisss... :) Doesn't mean anything, but it was funny when I finally had it hit me who she was. 1974 I think, and she was stunning on that.

Yeah, I think that episode is "Negative Reaction". Somebody recorded that for me on VHS a few years ago when I was paying more attention to my Filmation fan sites and trying to assemble most of her non-Isis appearances.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's the one! It's real good even though she didn't have a lot to do other than stand there looking hot. Columbo at the soup kitchen is choice though.

I grew up with Filmation. Maybe one day they'll give us Tarzan.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I will get the Rickles release but I'm passing on Williams (no interest in paying for 80s-90s Johnny) and Letterman I'm not sure since only the 78 show would be of interest to me (as I have the other two already from off-air recordings).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I also found this posted in their new blog section:
Good news about the upcoming DVD package . I'll be looking forward to ordering it . I wonder if Letterman will eventually institute a similar program.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't even aware they'd announced the 2015 DVDs yet! I, for one, have no problem with '80s-90s Tonight Shows, and volumes 2 and 3 (which contain '80s/90s shows) have even longer running times than volume 1, so it's not any less value-for-money.

That being said, though, I'm going to skip these individual volumes, as I suspect the Carson archive will end up repackaging them together into a slimmer, space-saving set or two by this time next year, as they did with the Vault releases.

I wonder if Letterman will eventually institute a similar program.

I doubt it. I don't think he really wants his old material out there. I suspect he's a bit like Johnny and doesn't see the value in it, viewing it as 'disposable entertainment', like the long-held perceptions about game shows and soaps.

I remember him being vocally against the Late Night reruns that NBC sold to cable syndication a couple decades back, though whether that was for personal reasons or rights/ownership, I don't know.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I want an episode that was early 90's in which he did product spoofs with corresponding packaging. "In the U.S., we have Ben Gay. In Sweden, they gave Am Gay." "In the U.S., we have Liquid Plumber. In England, they have a product that's been responsible for many deaths, Liquid Electrician." "In the U.S., we have SOS. In Iraq, they have SOB (cue up SOS box renamed SOB with Hussein's photo)."

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
For those of us who (understandably) thought the DVD releases were now dead thanks to the AntennaTV reruns, comes this bit of info from the JohnnyCarson.com blog (posted on the 20th):

...Carson Entertainment is working on a new DVD series of never-before-released material for all of you fans that can't get enough Johnny and hope to have more news about that soon...

Hopefully, this will be complete shows again (as with the Vault and Featured Guest series). I know I'm not alone in hoping that we'll see at least a few more complete shows from the '60s, given how rare they are (and how they're not going to be included in the AntennaTV reruns).

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Are the Bill Cosby episodes banned from reruns? I think it is pretty stupid and hypocritical if they are, because didn't Antenna TV recently air episodes with Robert Blake, who was accused of killing his wife?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That's good to hear we'll get more DVD releases because after a few months of a lot of recording, I admit I got burnout from Antenna shows because of the edits etc. and the hassle of being up to record them every night. Some new uncut shows (other than between commercials music) would be welcome at this point.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Are the Bill Cosby episodes banned from reruns? I think it is pretty stupid and hypocritical if they are, because didn't Antenna TV recently air episodes with Robert Blake, who was accused of killing his wife?

I don't think anyone has actually said one way or the other, but if they are withholding them, I wouldn't be surprised and really don't have a problem with it. There is a such a wide variety of guests that I don't think Bill Cosby appearances are necessarily essential.

Maybe the powers that be (regarding Robert Blake) felt enough time has passed that it's not so controversial now (also, Blake's court case is firmly in the rear-view mirror, while Cosby's is ongoing).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think anyone has actually said one way or the other, but if they are withholding them, I wouldn't be surprised and really don't have a problem with it. There is a such a wide variety of guests that I don't think Bill Cosby appearances are necessarily essential.

Maybe the powers that be (regarding Robert Blake) felt enough time has passed that it's not so controversial now (also, Blake's court case is firmly in the rear-view mirror, while Cosby's is ongoing).

And regarding Blake, whatever you think of the verdict, he was found not guilty in a court of law. Cosby has yet to face judgment, which I think makes the situations different, at least at this moment.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I see that Time - Life has licensed the Tonight Show Vault Series as a reissue for general release . Time -Life usually releases confused packages which contradict each other - like The Carol Burnette Show , and Hee Haw . I hope we can continue to get future Tonight Show DVD's of unreleased shows from the Johnny Carson/ Tonight Show web site .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Lou, I'll finally give them credit in that at least with the retailed versions of this specific show, they have it organized and listed as being available in different formats with what is specifically included on those said versions. Now if they can only do this for their many boxed releases of Carol Burnett, then it'd be fine.
If they did publish such a list , I'd be able to complete my Carol Burnette collection !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks