What's new

Blu-ray Review Tomorrowland Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I'm curious about about a few extras not listed in the above review, from another site-

"Exclusive Bonus:

Deleted Scene with Filmmaker Introduction – Frank Walker, Age 10 (5:30) – An alternate beginning of the film shows young Frank Walker building his jet pack unsuccessfully.

Deleted Scene with Filmmaker Introduction – Great Big Beautiful World’s Fair (2:20) – More footage from the World’s Fair.

Brad Bird Production Diaries: Diary Entry #2 – Tomorrowland vs The Weather (2:07) – Bad weather plagued the production more than a few occasions."

In the original press release they're marked as DMA exclusive-I had to look that up-Disney Movies Anywhere. Does that mean these extras are only available via streaming? I'm unfamiliar with this. Thanks.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
3D is done. As it's always done. They'll keep doing the sporadic title if they think they can squeeze some money out of it, but it's niche and there it will stay. I care not a whit about it.

As to Tomorrowland - after reading the reviews and seeing the incredibly ignorant Internet chatter, I was expecting the worst. I got the best. I got a masterpiece. You can see my comments on the main board's thread about this film.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

Eric Vedowski said:
I'm curious about about a few extras not listed in the above review, from another site-

"Exclusive Bonus:

Deleted Scene with Filmmaker Introduction – Frank Walker, Age 10 (5:30) – An alternate beginning of the film shows young Frank Walker building his jet pack unsuccessfully.

Deleted Scene with Filmmaker Introduction – Great Big Beautiful World’s Fair (2:20) – More footage from the World’s Fair.

Brad Bird Production Diaries: Diary Entry #2 – Tomorrowland vs The Weather (2:07) – Bad weather plagued the production more than a few occasions."

In the original press release they're marked as DMA exclusive-I had to look that up-Disney Movies Anywhere. Does that mean these extras are only available via streaming? I'm unfamiliar with this. Thanks.

DMA is Disney’s online streaming service. As a lifelong fan of Disney, I greatly resent these kinds of promotional gimmicks. I prefer to watch my movies at home on blu-ray, but I also appreciate the fact that Disney blu-rays come with a code to download an iTunes-friendly version of the film for viewing on my iPad. In other words, I like having options, but having a physical disc is my preference.

So, yeah, it’s exceptionally frustrating to see that some very fascinating-sounding features for one of my favorite movies of the year are only available via Disney’s streaming service. I encourage everyone else who has strong feelings about this to email the company. This is the only way I could find to contact their home video group:

http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/Contact_Us.html

…Having said all that…

Has anyone watched the blu-ray bonus features? They are WONDERFUL and leave me wanting much more, which makes the above issue even more disheartening. The Plus Ultra animated short, which has been available for viewing online for several months, is breathtakingly beautiful to see on blu-ray. It was created by the Brad Bird’s talented friends at Pixar, so that pretty much says it all. It’s got a great design that harkens back to the classic Disney shorts.

The World of Tomorrow Science Hour is just plain hilarious, as Dr. Nix, in character, films parts of a scrapped Disney show from the ‘60s.

A Great Big Beautiful Scoring Session features talented composer Michael Giacchino, with Bird, leading a scoring session for the film. It includes a guest appearance by famed Disney songwriter Richard Sherman, co-composer with his brother, the late Robert Sherman, of the Disney classic attraction song “It’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow,” which was featured in TOMORROWLAND.

Remembering the Future is mostly about the idea behind TOMORROWLAND instead of the movie itself---that the future is “wide open to possibility.” It includes some fantastic footage of Disneyland’s construction as well as several clips of footage from the park’s early years. I don’t want to reveal too much, in case those reading these comments haven’t watched it yet. But it draws interesting and touching parallels between the movie and the changes affecting NASA over the last decade.

EDIT: The "NASA" production diary---one of only two included on the blu-ray---is an almost exact copy of the Remembering the Future mini-doc, featuring the same voiceover from Bird, similar production and behind the scenes footage, etc. Very disappointing.

The deleted scenes are interesting, and I think fans of the film will love seeing some of the abandoned story ideas that pop up in them.

matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks