What's new

Time to replace my Pioneer VSX-37TX... (1 Viewer)

stjr

Auditioning
Hello Everyone!

Just joined Home Theater Forum and I'm excited to be part of the group! Thought I'd start out discussions with the demise of my Pioneer VSX-37TX. It lasted about 6 years and performed very well until the DSP board "gave up the ghost" about 3 weeks ago. I do have the option of getting it repaired (to the tune of approx. $450 bucks). But since I'm probably going "HD" next year, I thought it might be a good time to invest in new technology; especially in respect to HDMI switching and upconversion that has become available.

I've been reading my hiney (sp?) off the last few days and have decided to consider the following A/V receivers; Denon AVR-4306 and AVR-2807 and Yamaha RX-V4600 and RX-V2600. Pioneer is noticebly absent because their build quality just isn't what it used to be.

My questions is...should I be concerned that some of the receivers I'm considering are NOT THX certified? Does a THX-certified box (THX label on the receiver) do additional audio decoding that I would miss out on? I have quite a collection of DVDs and I do recall many opening with the THX promo. The Pioneer VSX-37TX was THX-certified; but I can't honestly recall any decoding going on? Hope you can help!!

Stever in Mesa, AZ

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry to hear your Pioneer gave it up. Don't get the wrong idea, by my experience they still last nicely and give a very good value.

Anyway, regarding THX, I really wouldn't worry about it. THX does give different info regarding volume setting, the intention is that reference level is to be set at "0" where it can fall anywhere on non-THX units. Also, when using the THX mode, it does various processing, including limiting the bass extension in favor or maximum output. I have a THX Pioneer receiver, and I don't use the THX mode for exactly that reason. I want the extension.

Just get what suits your needs.

stjr

Auditioning
Hello John;

Thanks for the info! And your right, the Pioneer served me well. The 37 was my 2nd Pioneer A/V receiver. My first was a 27TX. It died after 18 months due to the dreaded "solder point" failure that many of Pioneer's receivers failed from. Guess they didn't anticipate the heat these puppies generate would have much of an affect (you could almost barbeque on that think.....almost :) ). Well....it did (the heat) and many of the 1st generation Elite series A/V receivers died the same death. That's when Jerry's Audio here in Scottsdale said, "Here's a replacement. We can't get the 27TX any more; here's a 37TX instead." Ya know....I paid more for the original unit from Jerry's versus buying it off of the Internet; but Customer Service like that is "gold"!

Anyway...Thanks for the info!!

Stever

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I would go for a Yamaha, they have arguably one of the best processors of mass market receivers available. HTR series has similar offerings sometimes for less, though they don't look as nice or have quite the features of the RX-V series offers.

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally

i have to agree with seth. i have a htr5990 yamaha and am so happy with it. for the price i paid for mine i can not complain at all and it does hdmi switching and have a ton of features. a great buy for a starting point for HTs

bassman99floyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jimmy
I guess I'm lucky. I've had the Pio Elite VSX47TX, running in 7.1 for six years now. I have this unit sitting on top of the pile, so no heat gets trapped. Below the receiver I have the Sony 400 CD juke box, and all this sits on top of a Rotel Amp. All mentioned components are plugged into a Richard Grey line conditioner. I think that really helped protect everything?

I hope I don't jinx myself, but this system sounds fantastic, and I feel no need to upgrade at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks