What's new

Time to get all my details straight on a Sonosub... (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
So, I've bought the Tempest (Thanks Gregg ;)), and I will get the amp shortly. I have a 3 foot piece of 18" sonotube to be picked up. I'll get the MDF. Now, I need to get started on the real details. Where do I get that program that people use for calculating port lengths and whatnot? I've been told 4" ports.
outside of the tube, MDF, driver and amp, what other expenses will I have? I don't expect to put a finish on the sub right now, will I be able to do it afterwards? This is my first attempt at DIY, so I don't want anything too fancy, but are there any suggested designs for a newbie? I'm good with tools, I have a knack for mechanics and the link (engineering student), but I am limited by a budget. i would like to not spend more than $50 extra, with the binding posts, and whatever. I really like the threaded rod design, how hard is that to achieve, and how much?
Sorry about all the questions, but I've looked at so many sonosub websites, and there's just so much to work with. I'll have a very large shop at my disposal, so tools shouldnt' be a problem, and there will be people there to help me out as well.
Any suggestions or particular sub pages are welcome. Thanks in advance all, i can't wait to get started! :)

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Joe,

That sounds a little small for a vented Tempest (~150L before driver, plugs, ports). Would you consider going sealed?

JKS

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
3ft of 18" sono isn't enough for the tempest to achieve maximum performance, it only gives you 5.3ft^3 to play with without the endcaps or anything. You might be able to pull it off. However you may have to go sealed or get a bigger peice of sonotube.

JamesFarina

Agent
I don't know much about the tempest but i do know that if you insulate the tube after using 3/4" endcaps you could have an equivalent volume close to 6ft^3. If you send me the driver parameters i could help with a design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.