What's new

Time Machine is it really that bad? (1 Viewer)

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of picking this up, just wondering if it is really as bad as I have been reading. I love this genre of film and can deal with a fair amount of cheesiness.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
If you've read the book or seen the orignal movie, you will be greatly disappointed.

But some of the effects are pretty good and are worth a watch.

Paul

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty bad. I didn't have any expectations, as I'd seen bad reviews before going to see the film. I had serious problems with the film. It's pretty though, and fairly well acted.

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
The only reason I saw this one was because my wife and I were at the theatre, but arrived late for the last LOTR showing. This was the only thing not sold out, and I now understand why.

Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe I expect too much from Dreamworks themselves, but I didn't enjot Time Machine at all. In fact, I fell asleep about 2/3 of the wy through (my wife, in fact, nudged me after someone had complained about some jackass making snoring sounds while Jeremy Irons was talking).

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I just watched this movie last weekend on an airline flight from Florida to Texas. I realize that it was edited for content and pan'n'scanned. However, the film would suck in ANY aspect ratio.
The beginning was nice, but about halfway through the movie takes a left turn and never recovers. It's indeed pretty bad, IMHO.
Link Removed

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
It maybe worth a rental.

Personally, after his fiance-to-be gets nailed by the carriage, I was too busy laughing to take the movie seriously. It was so comical.

Not something that needs repeat viewing.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
It's not cheese that brings this movie down. I agree with everyone who said it starts off OK, then seriously goes downhill very fast and stays there. Please don't buy this one sight unseen.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Chris, you are hereby served. Give me all your profits from "Bigger and Blacker" and I'll settle :)
The movie is blasphemous. I'm sure Welles is doing about warp 9 spinning in his grave considering his grandson was the one doing the blaspheming

MichaelG

Second Unit
When my buddy asked me about it after my girlfriend and I saw it at the theaters, I said it was "OK", but I wouldn't recommend seeing it at the theater. I would say it's a rental.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I normally agree with Ron's reviews and as a result he has cost me lots of money!

This is the first time I didn't. Was it great? No. Its a big step above Battlefield Earth, Wing Commander and Pearl Harbor. Its on the same level as Lost in Space, Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider. Its lower than pretty much everything else.

If you have the ability to enjoy movies without carrying too much historical baggage along with you into your HT room, you will enjoy this DVD. It's a very solid audio and video presentation of a mediocre film.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Uggg, I'm with Mark B. I saw this on an international flight (once again, understanding that it is pan-n-scanned etc), but this movie was unwatchable. Keep in mind, this was all I had to do for the next two hours....and doing nothing was the best option. After the very promising first 10 minutes or so, I started reading my vomit bag over and over and over. Do NOT buy this sight unseen! I was planning on doing so until I saw it in its full craptasticity on the plane.

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
My Wife and I enjoyed it. It was certainly no Kate and Leopold :) but neverless a good popcorn flick. I'm buying the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks