What's new
World Wide Stereo

THX Ultra 2 Question (1 Viewer)

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello all,

I hope this is the right place to post this. I am going to start the framing on my dedicated home theater this winter, and will try to completely finish it by the summer of next year. I am thinking of trying to do build the theater comprised of THX Ultra 2 equipment. I was wondering if you could reply with your thoughts and recommendations about specific brands and models of THX Ultra 2 equipment, so I could get an idea of total cost, etc. to build it. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Robert

728x90

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Most of the big names such as Denon Sony Pioneer have equipment that meets those specs. Go to their sites and do your homework.

Peter m.

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello,

What I am mainly interested in is the quality of the products. I can go to the makers web site or look at their information and find out what the product can do, but I can't tell how well it does it. That's what I am trying to find out. What are the better quality products on the market?

Thanks,
Robert

greg_t

Screenwriter
I don't know what you're wanting to spend, but the Pioneer Elite 49TXi is Ultra 2 certified. I have one and love it. It is pricey though. The 59TXi was just announced at Cedia and doesn't have any real benefits over the 49TXi. You may be able to start finding the 49TXi at reduced prices. There is a thread here that describes the differences between the two in detail, but I don't see anything that makes me want to upgrade from my 49.

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello,

Sorry I haven't explained myself well. I am looking for recommendations in the categories of controllers, amplifiers, speakers, screen, etc. that are THX Ultra 2. I am looking for components in each of these categories that are THX Ultra 2 certified that rise above the rest as far as what users have experienced.

Thanks,
Robert

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think you have a mistaken belief that if a component is "THX Ultra2" certified, it automatically guarentees a certain level of quality. For example, a DVD player can be THX certified and still have the chroma bug and do bass management for DVD-A and SACD incorrectly.

I think you should focus on quality components, regardless of whether they have THX certification.

As the 2nd poster alluded to, there is no substitute for "homework". :)

If you want to start talking actual components, do you want separates, or a receiver? What is your budget? What type system: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1? CRT, RP, LCD, DLP, etc? More than 1 sub? Etc...

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello,

I am looking to build a really good 7.1 system in a room with 23X15X9 dimensions for around 30000 (I could probably do more with a little begging and pleading).

As far as getting into the real specifics of home theater I'm just getting my feet wet. I know that THX Ultra 2 or THX Select can do a 7.1 system. Building a great quality home theater is my main concern.

That's mainly why I was asking. to see if building a really good quality THX Ultra 2 or 7.1 system is possible (due to budget constraints or other factors).

Thanks,
Robert

GordonL

Supporting Actor
$30k for just the audio? You might be able to get something decent with that. :)

For starters, look into equipment from these manufacturers. All of them have their fans so picking something is a matter of personal preference.

$$ = mid-priced
$$$ = high-priced
$$$$ - can blow your budget with one or two pieces :)

THX:

$$
Anthem
B&K
Parasound (Classic)

$$$
Aragon
Arcam
Bryston
Classe
Integra Research
Krell
Lexicon
Parasound (Halo)

$$$$
Classe
Krell
Levinson
Meridian

Non-THX but still worth considering:

$$
ATI
Rotel
Sherbourne

$$$
Sunfire
Theta Digital

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks